Sharpening wrong

/ Sharpening wrong #31  
At 71, if I can't lift it (or don't want to), it can rot in the woods. :laughing:

At 58, that's exactly how I feel. I have a hydraulic log lifter on my splitter and I still won't bother messing with the monster logs for firewood. A 24" diameter Red Oak cut to 16" long weighs 260# when green. Why wrestle with it when I have so much easier stuff to deal with?

/ Sharpening wrong #32  
I use my tractor, lol. I roll them into the front bucket and then lift them so I can roll them onto the splitter. Also when they split the half on the tractor side falls back into the bucket. I find that's easier than standing up my splitter into vertical mode. My splitter has the wedge that moves vs the style that pushes the log into the splitter.

/ Sharpening wrong
I use my tractor, lol. I roll them into the front bucket and then lift them so I can roll them onto the splitter. Also when they split the half on the tractor side falls back into the bucket. I find that's easier than standing up my splitter into vertical mode. My splitter has the wedge that moves vs the style that pushes the log into the splitter.

I do the same exact thing. The reason I noodled these is some were to big for my bucket. Some were also really stringy and when I split the the first time, they didn’t come apart and I then had to wrestle them. Big rounds are very heavy but you get a boat load of wood out of just a few of them.

/ Sharpening wrong #34  

Same here. The bucket is then like a work table. I don't split as much as I used to but back then I'd put it in vertical mode and roll the big round to it. Then sit on a smaller round and get a lot of wood from one round.

Now I can't lift more than 50 lbs and any work more than 3-4 hrs will lay me up for a day or two.

Good info about the chain saw sharpening. I'd read that there are ripping chains but not recommended for hand-held saws. Sharpened at 0 degrees. I was ripping larger logs for benches and other craft projects, like turning bowls on my lathe. I bought a Farm Boss to supplement my 025.

/ Sharpening wrong #35  
An old dead elm log I cut had growth ring layers in alternating angles and it would not split. First ring grew in a clockwise swirl. Second ring grew in a counter-clockwise swirl. And each ring was like that, alternating and forming almost a plywood affect. The log splitter would cut/slice through the grain but it was impossible to split, so only the height of the wedge would be cut. I had to noodle all the logs over 1' diameter, and then I could nibble them down with the splitter. My son talked me into noodling them as a test after I said I was gonna roll the whole mess in a gully and be done with it. ;) He was noodling the logs and I 'split' them when he was done. It went really well actually, and our pace was about even. We had a nice pile of hard elm when we were done, so he was right and I'm glad we noodled them.