Shear Bolts??

/ Shear Bolts?? #21  
SAE or inch bolts have hash marks to indicate grade; metric bolts have arabic numerals to indicate class. A web search will turn up charts of the various markings and the equivalence of grade and class. As I understand it, the alpha-numeric characters on bolt heads are a code so the manufacturers, distributors, vendors, and others who are privy to the codes (like the check-out clerk at a box store) can identify the bolts without calipers and thread gauges.
You make it sound like that chart is easy to find. It isn't.

Fortunately, Post #7 has proven this to be true.

:)

/ Shear Bolts?? #22  
I recently purchased a snow blower. Last night I broke my first shear bolt. Fortunately, the manufacture sent a few extras. However, in trying to find replacements, I am coming up empty. Contacting the dealer of the blower has resulted in crickets, and the manufacture doesn't have a parts section on their website.

I need M10x55 cl 8.8 bolts. As many as I can get.

I would typically install a slip clutch on this implement, but I dont think it would work in this situation. Not to mention the lack of space for one.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Tractor Supply sells suitable bolts. You can get high quality strong bolts, but don't, the point is to have something that breaks before the other parts.

/ Shear Bolts?? #23  
You DO NOT want to use "normal" bolts in place of a shear bolt, regardless of grade. If you value your equipment that is. They are designed to shear, cleanly, to protect the drive line.

Every shear bolt I have seen has a groove in it to break clean at that point which- makes is a relative snap (get it?) to remove. "Make do" parts run the risk of breaking too easily, being a pain, or not soon enough, risking damage, or jamming in the hole and being a royal PITA to remove.

Keep searching for "shear bolts". Someone has to support the thing.

/ Shear Bolts?? #24  
I recently purchased a snow blower. Last night I broke my first shear bolt. Fortunately, the manufacture sent a few extras. However, in trying to find replacements, I am coming up empty. Contacting the dealer of the blower has resulted in crickets, and the manufacture doesn't have a parts section on their website.

I would typically install a slip clutch on this implement, but I dont think it would work in this situation. Not to mention the lack of space for one.

Our Frontier (aka John Deere) blower has two shear bolts, one in the universal and the other in the auger driveshaft. The manual has the specs - universal is an SAE size and the auger drive is metric. I got replacements at the JD dealer once, but that green paint they use must have real gold mixed in. I get them at Tractor Supply now.

A hint: We broke a LOT fewer bolts when we dropped the shoes so that on rough or grassy surfaces it never digs into the dirt. Leaves a bit of snow in the driveway, but not so much that we can't drive through it.

/ Shear Bolts?? #25  
You DO NOT want to use "normal" bolts in place of a shear bolt, regardless of grade. If you value your equipment that is. They are designed to shear, cleanly, to protect the drive line.

Every shear bolt I have seen has a groove in it to break clean at that point which- makes is a relative snap (get it?) to remove. "Make do" parts run the risk of breaking too easily, being a pain, or not soon enough, risking damage, or jamming in the hole and being a royal PITA to remove.

My County Line PHD instructions say to use grade 2 bolts to connect the auger to the gearbox and the drive shaft to the gearbox. Shear bolts are not specified, just plain grade 2 bolts.
Eric

/ Shear Bolts?? #26  

I understand what you're saying and have seen those style of shear bolts, however, I have yet to see an Ag implement that uses those style of shear bolts instead of the simple bolt. As long as the grade matches the original, it will be just fine.

The PTO shaft for my mower just uses a simple Grade 8.8 M8 bolt, however the style of the yoke makes it much easier to replace the shear bolt and definitely won't get stuck.

Attachments

• HTB1hE3VLXXXXXaXapXXq6xXFXXXh.jpg_350x350.jpg
    HTB1hE3VLXXXXXaXapXXq6xXFXXXh.jpg_350x350.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 344

/ Shear Bolts?? #27  
My Italian Goldoni snowblower (10 HP) specs M6 class 12.9 (176,900psi) shear bolts; my American Lorenz (max 40 HP) specs 1/4-20 grade 5 (120,000psi) shear bolts. The M6 bolts shear at a spot closer to the axis of the shaft than the 1/4" bolts. I trust the engineers knew what they were doing. OTOH when Chinglish instructions mention a strange size--for example 1/4-18 (not 1/4-20 or 28, not 5/16-18) I question what other attention to detail is lacking.

Conventional wisdom is that "softer" grades will bend and distort, "harder" grades are more brittle and will snap. The design engineers can compensate for increased strength of the steel by decreasing the cross section--specifying a smaller bolt or machining groves. Kneeling on snow in sub-freezing weather, working in the shadow cast by the tractor's work lamps, trying to drive a bent bolt out with a hammer and drift will quickly convince one that grade 2 bolts are too soft.

/ Shear Bolts?? #28  
Many people just can't grasp that "shear bolt" specifications are application specific. Often they are standard hardware of particular dimensions and hardness and sometimes they are purpose designed (or chosen from a specific existing design) for a given application.

/ Shear Bolts?? #29  

Mine use Grade 5 1/4 inch bolts on my JD 1025R 54" Snowblower.

/ Shear Bolts?? #30  
My Italian Goldoni snowblower (10 HP) specs M6 class 12.9 (176,900psi) shear bolts; my American Lorenz (max 40 HP) specs 1/4-20 grade 5 (120,000psi) shear bolts. The M6 bolts shear at a spot closer to the axis of the shaft than the 1/4" bolts. I trust the engineers knew what they were doing. OTOH when Chinglish instructions mention a strange size--for example 1/4-18 (not 1/4-20 or 28, not 5/16-18) I question what other attention to detail is lacking.

Conventional wisdom is that "softer" grades will bend and distort, "harder" grades are more brittle and will snap. The design engineers can compensate for increased strength of the steel by decreasing the cross section--specifying a smaller bolt or machining groves. Kneeling on snow in sub-freezing weather, working in the shadow cast by the tractor's work lamps, trying to drive a bent bolt out with a hammer and drift will quickly convince one that grade 2 bolts are too soft.
I suppose engineers can also engineer for the soft grade 2 bolts too, otherwise why specify grade 2 bolts? I have sheared grade 2 bolts with the Bush Hog. They sheared cleanly and were easy to get out. If my Tractor Supply sold PHD instructions said to use something different I would. As it is I have 4 grade 2 bolts in the plastic screw top tube that came with the PHD, along with the instructions. The tube stays with the PHD. I will not be using anything else because anything else is not specified on the instruction sheet and I don't want to break my PHD.
ERIC