Sheave/ pulley adjustment

/ Sheave/ pulley adjustment #11  
Hitting it with a hammer is not the correct way but if you don't have the right size bolts to break the taper using a block of hardwood and hammer to hit the pully close to the taper sheave but not on it generally works under absolutely no circumstances put pressure or hit the outer part of the pully that's what will break it

/ Sheave/ pulley adjustment
What about getting a 1/4-20 tap and resize the holes?
Never done that before but I guess there’s always YouTube🤗

/ Sheave/ pulley adjustment
If the sheves are 24" from each other, 3/16 out of plane is not worth messing with. Could they have been loose, slipping some and create that 200 degree heat? Could you have a bearing going out?
I’m just an amateur hobbiest farmer so I didn’t think about getting 3 v belts that were from the same lot. Went to tractor supply and they only had two of the belts. So I went down the road and got a third one from family farm and home. Figured they’re all 48 inch what’s the difference. But I think one of them might’ve been just very slightly bigger because it was definitely looser. Maybe that was the one that was slipping and causing the heat. So I just took that one off and kept the other two on. Do I actually even need the three belts. Is there any major detriment to running this with just the two belts. I hate to take it all apart and have to put a third belt back on.

/ Sheave/ pulley adjustment #14  
I would put 3 belts on and they need to be the same. However, the bigger belt was not slipping as the other two belts would have to slip as well. They need to match in order to keep the work load even for each belt. With one bigger it will not help much and the other two will be doing all the work.

/ Sheave/ pulley adjustment #15  
in the old days it was always a thing to order belts that were going to be used together as a matched set. These days if from the same manufacturer and batch it doesn't seem to matter but if from different manufacturers or batch not only can they be a different length to start with they can stretch differently over time.
If it is only going to get light use two belts probably ok they will wear quicker and if if you work it hard will slip which will kill them quick If I were in your shoes I would probably run it with two belts but have a matched set on hand for when it does fail I mean what else are you going to use those two belts for you may as well get some use out of them it might surprise you how long they last

/ Sheave/ pulley adjustment #17  
What about getting a 1/4-20 tap and resize the holes?
Tapping is NOT an option at this time, the threads MUST go completely though the hub so the bolts can push against the pulley. With it assembled the tap will stop short of completely passing through the hub. However I would re-tap to a common thread after it is off.
Hitting it with a hammer is not the correct way but if you don't have the right size bolts to break the taper using a block of hardwood and hammer to hit the pully close to the taper sheave but not on it generally works under absolutely no circumstances put pressure or hit the outer part of the pully that's what will break it
Using a hammer is a risky option but IF you were to try a hammer find a punch that will fit freely inside the pusher holes and hammer against the pulley where it was designed to handle the pressure. Don't go gorilla on it just good wacks while moving from opposite hole to opposite hole.

Also if you are not using matched belts do not expect them to give the service you expect. Non matched belts will vary in length slightly and each belt will stretch at a different rate. When buying belts purchase good ones from a source that KNOWS what matched belts are, all the numbers and codes on a properly matched set will all be the same. Or better yet use a 3 in 1 belt (can't remember the proper name, to early in the morning) it looks like one wide belt with the 3 V's molded in.

Last edited:
   / Sheave/ pulley adjustment #18  
Ugh. 🙈 can’t find bolts to fit in those screw holes. They are really an odd size. 10-24 is too small and 1/4 - 20 is too big. In metric 5 mm is too small and six is too big.
Have you tried a 1/4" - 28 fine thread? Fine threads would provide more pushing power for the same torque. The other possibility is a #12 in fine or coarse.

Check the attach bolts and see if they are inch or metric. That way, you can eliminate half the choices anyway. In those sizes, there are no metric fine pitch nor is there a 5.5mm thread, so I think you have inch threads, you just got to find the right bolt.

I would not re-tap those holes. When you figure it out, use a paint pen and write the bolt size someplace on the machine. Inside the cover if that is a clean place. I do that often.

/ Sheave/ pulley adjustment #19  
....................snip................... In those sizes, there are no metric fine pitch nor is there a 5.5mm thread, so I think you have inch threads, you just got to find the right bolt...snip..

I agree with everything else you said, but there is M5.5 and there are fine pitch metric treads "In those sizes".
Please see the enclosed table for metric threads, but they are not likely metric in this tapered bushing.

I think he already has the correct "pusher bolts" on hand - they are still screwed in the smaller pulley in his second photo of post #1

Attachments

• External Metric Thread Table Chart and Fastener Sizes M1.pdf
    206.1 KB · Views: 63
   / Sheave/ pulley adjustment #20  
Ugh. 🙈 can’t find bolts to fit in those screw holes. They are really an odd size. 10-24 is too small and 1/4 - 20 is too big. In metric 5 mm is too small and six is too big.
They could be #12-24.