Shipping container weight on one end?

/ Shipping container weight on one end?
Thanks everyone, good ideas. I only want to move it once right now but if I take it to the property I may have to move it up a hill dirt road a couple times. The idea of moving the axle in to make it lighter wasn't thought of. that will make a difference on the wheel rig I get.

/ Shipping container weight on one end?
keep in mind the 2200 lb you are referencing is most likely to full height at the pin it will be 2x that for the first 12". it is listed as breakout force in your loader specs.
so the question become how high do you need to lift it?
I didn't know that, only enough to get it off the ground

/ Shipping container weight on one end? #13  
Just make sure you don't underweight the hitch end (lifting end), especially if on hilly, uneven terrain. You'll want the tongue weight at least 10-15% of the trailer weight (500-750 lbs & I wouldn't be uncomfortable at 1000 lbs) or it'll be squirrely & could bounce or tip if you hit something or change the center of gravity.

/ Shipping container weight on one end? #14  
I didn't know that, only enough to get it off the ground
per tractordata.com:
2,700 lbs lift (full at pin)
1224 kg
5,100 lbs breakout
2313 kg
40° dump
24.75 inches reach (dumped)
62 cm
20° rollback
111.5 inches height (at pin)
283 cm
92 inches clearance (dumped)
233 cm
raise: 5.7s
dump: 4.9s
lower: 4.3s
weight: 1,450 lbs
657 kg
Bucket width: 75 inches
190 cm
Bucket capacity: 0.63 cu yd
0.5 cu m

you have 2700lbs to full height and 5100lbs breakout on the mahindra 5035. so yea you can lift one end off the ground and to some height (my guess is waist high if not higher) but i would be very careful lifting it to any significant height and remember this is with appropriate counterweight

/ Shipping container weight on one end? #16  
Can you lift it with the 3 point hitch? More capacity and more stable.

Jeff

/ Shipping container weight on one end? #17  
It sounds like it would be safer for someone else to move it
for you so you have no problems or possibility of an accident!
Also they will have insurance in case of something happening!

willy

/ Shipping container weight on one end? #18  
If your moving further than a few feet (using logs or posts as rollers as was suggested) just call a tilt back wrecker and have them move it. The one local to our place charged $250 to move them up to about 10-15 miles a few years back. Once on site we pushed them around with a little JD 350 dozer, then jacked them up and blocked.

/ Shipping container weight on one end? #19  
I was considering buying wheels for one end of my 20' shipping container. It weighs about 5K. I was wondering how much one end would weight when you picked it up with the loader. If it is half it will not do it. I think my lift capacity is about 2200 give or take. So anybody know about how that weight is divided on one end?
This is a great question.. Let physics and geometry solve it for you.

If you are not in a hurry jack up one end high enough to get a beam under the center point. It should naturally tip down toward the rear doors. Throw some weight in the high side to act as a counterweight to help balance it well enough so the low side can be lifted easily with the loader. Then while the low side is up slide in another slighter taller beam(s) next to the first and drop that end and then raise the other and it's beam height. If you keep rocking it back and forth seesaw style you can walk it up to any height you like. As you walk it up start blocking the ends to support it. Be careful, these weights are unforgiving so, be sure to block the ends well once you have it to the height you need. You may want to consider a used 20' container hauler trailer that are often available from the big shippers for a reasonable price. They are already made to accept the containers although they are kinda high off the ground but could be converted into a low-boy and then the container could just be winched on/off any time you want.

Last edited:
   / Shipping container weight on one end? #20  
my thought as well.
If just trying to move it once big enough wheels in the middle means ends weigh almost nothing.

Could use two jack-alls on the corners and would easily lift to get wheels or rolls underneath.

I lifted a 40' with 2 jack-alls, placed 5" rnd fence posts under it bought from local farm store cheap and pulled - rolled it around with a utility tractor.

View attachment 800888
I bought one of these "cheap" 3 ton 60 inch jacks at TSC on sale last year. Flimsy castings. Broke the first time I used it. No thank you.

I need to go to some farm auctions to find an older unit NOT made in china or India.