Shipping vehicle cross country. Experiences?

/ Shipping vehicle cross country. Experiences? #1  

RichM752

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L47TLB, Two Labs, and a Martin OM28
Anyone with experience shipping a vehicle cross country?
Having a new Ram 2500 built. Purchased from a dealer in Lake Charles LA and going to ship to Northern California.
Dealers out west could not come close to matching the price.

/ Shipping vehicle cross country. Experiences? #2  
No experience but fly and drive is probably cheapest.

/ Shipping vehicle cross country. Experiences? #3  
No experience but fly and drive is probably cheapest.

I know several people who have done that with used vehicles. They put a deposit on the vehicle with the agreement that the vehicle was as described. Then flew to the destination, inspected the vehicle, paid balance, and drove home.

/ Shipping vehicle cross country. Experiences? #4  
I trust you know you are getting a California emissions vehicle? One that you can register in CA?

California prices are high because they have to buy clean emission credits from other makers such as Tesla to be allowed to sell new. I fear you will run afoul of a bureaucracy who doesn’t like their authority to be usurped.

/ Shipping vehicle cross country. Experiences?
Yes. It's a 50 state legal Cummins.
Dealers on the whole west coast and Idaho are only 6-8% off msrp. I got 12.5% off from a high volume dealer. I've purchsed new vehicles from out of state a couple of times. Even though they are 50 state legal, in California you must pay $65 for a "smog certificate", and of course sales tax.
2300 miles from dealer to my place. I've done that "across Texas" trip a few times in years past. For me, I'll pay the 1300-1500 to have it shipped and save the time and headache of it all. Also, I don thinks runing a new motor at highway speeds any length of time is a good idea.

Last edited:
   / Shipping vehicle cross country. Experiences? #6  
I did it once with a car. Had some minor damage. Big headache trying to collect. In that case, it was prepaid so no real leverage.
I'd make sure my insurance covered any damage if possible. Maybe pay a premium for a transporter with a good rep?

/ Shipping vehicle cross country. Experiences? #7  
I had my Land Cruiser shipped 2000 miles from Virginia to New Mexico. I opted for a covered trailer instead of open one for more protection. It cost $2K and rode with a few Lambo’s and Ferrari’s. No problems.

IMG_3188.JPG

/ Shipping vehicle cross country. Experiences? #8  
I had my Land Cruiser shipped 2000 miles from Virginia to New Mexico. I opted for a covered trailer instead of open one for more protection. It cost $2K and rode with a few Lambo’s and Ferrari’s. No problems.

View attachment 686863

I would rather have the Land Cruiser.

/ Shipping vehicle cross country. Experiences?
My main concern is damage. Perhaps covered is the best for piece of mind. It's a new truck and will have insurance coverage before it leaves the dealers lot. Average price is .60 per mile for open carrier.

I had my Land Cruiser shipped 2000 miles from Virginia to New Mexico. I opted for a covered trailer instead of open one for more protection. It cost $2K and rode with a few Lambo痴 and Ferrari痴. No problems.

View attachment 686863

/ Shipping vehicle cross country. Experiences? #10  
Some friends have bought on auction heavy machines and shipped without any problems.

On the other hand another (few years back) shipped his car to Florida and they dropped it.
They were a very reputable carrier and made good.

I believe U can also ship via rail, might be another option.