Shoe Search

/ Shoe Search #21  
Try finding a pair of non leather footwear.

After wearing leather work boots for about 40 years, I developed an allergy to leather. I began a search for non leather footwear. I thought I had found something in Germany. It was advertised as 'vegan', meaning it had no animal products in it.

Well...they lasted about 6 weeks and began to fall apart.

Now, I wear Timberlands hiking boots and just wear a thicker socks. My feet will still get to itching pretty bad if my feet sweat enough to get the socks wet enough to wick the tannins in the leather to my feet.

By the way, I can't wear leather gloves either. Several years ago I traveled to Australia and bought a nice leather hat. Guess what....I can't wear it either.

/ Shoe Search #22  
Funny this thread popped up.

We just returned from a trip to the Netherlands where I did quite a bit of walking, though I wanted to walk more, but the family held me back. :eek::D

The "streets" we were walking on were all made with pavers, bricks or cobble stones. I would love to know how old these "streets" were since they looked centuries old. You could tell where there were repairs made but most of the cobble stone or brick "streets" looked very old. We visited the Pilgram's House in Leiden, NL, which was built in 1370 give or take a few years. When the house was first built, the "street" was about three feet lower than it is now, so the "street" can't be 653 years old but it sure looks to be centuries old.

While walking around, I sorta remember hitting a cobble stone that was a bit proud of the other stones. Turns out that stone pulled the sole away from the top of the boot. :mad: Ticked was I because the boots are in good shape and brand new. Or so I thought. The boots made it through the trip at least.

Ordered a new pair of boots today and found out the boots are three years old. Having said that, they did not have a bunch of miles on them due to the pandemic. Other pairs I have flat wore out the boot upper and soles. This boot was still looking new.

I did use some shoe clue to see if I could fix the boot, but I used too much so the boot looks bad, so I ordered a new pair which I when I found out the boots were three years old. I thought they were only a year or so old.

Anyway, the are Bates boots and I have been happy with them in the past because they have lasted three years or so with lots of walking time. This pair not so much. This pair would have lasted longer except for that cobble stone..... Hopefully, the new pair lasts three years with lots of walking time. We want to return to the NL so maybe I can put them to the test again. :D

/ Shoe Search
Received the shoes yesterday and they're Union made in the USA. They seem well made and are comfortable after only one day. One thing that surprises me is that the soles are probably over an inch thick. I'm back up over 6' again :LOL:

/ Shoe Search #24  
I like my Doc Martins but I don't know where they are made. Real sturdy work shoe

/ Shoe Search #25  
I was going to recommend Thorogood, glad you found them too. I have a pair of their boots and they are nice.

/ Shoe Search #26  
I wanted some slip on lightweight shoes for walking. I have wide feet so finding shoes that fit is a pain. Anyway, I decided to try Sketchers because there is a Sketchers store on the mainland near where an Asian grocery where I like to shop whenever I'm on the other side. And I heard that Sketchers had wide shoes and they do. So I bought a couple pair and they are remarkably comfortable for walking. In fact, I haven't had a pair of shoes feel so good for decades. I buy Italian made hiking boots because they fit me the best, the quality is very high, and the folks making the boots get paid decent wages. Expensive though and worth it. But man, for lightweight walking around shoes the Sketchers are the most comfortable.
Eric