Shooting a Woodpecker.

/ Shooting a Woodpecker. #81  
Read the informative article provided by Ruffdog. I didn't know that they will drum just to call a mate and establish territory. My frustration is at the level shown in Failure to Launch. :)
This bird, has a single minded mission to drive me crazy. We have a Dome house. These echo sounds in different manners than most other houses. This bird has figured out exactly where to peck to make the loudest sound, and its like someone knocking at your door every 30 minutes.

Its a non-game protected bird, so shooting it is illegal in Oregon unless you get a special permit.

The owl decoy, I got, is entirely useless.

We've named the bird "Fred," after the open theme of the Flintstones: Fred banging on the door, yelling "Willma."

Wll try the milar balloon thing next.
Is it actually damaging the house, or just knocking the heck out of it?

I can imagine the noise. I lived in a large open concept home with cathedral ceilings and floor to ceiling glass. We'd get redheaded woodpeckers that would tap on the upper glass panels. So loud! Usually early in the a.m. 🤣

/ Shooting a Woodpecker.
I've looked for any sort of damage. Truthfully, I can't find anything. This bird seems to be looking for the greatest amount of noise it can create. So as /pine has suggested, I need to be smarter than this bird. I wonder now, maybe i can record some other pecker sounds and send that out over the loud speakers. Saying in Woodpecker language, this is "MY TERRITORY." :)

Last edited:
   / Shooting a Woodpecker. #84  
I guess you should simply get a cat.
If the cat kills the woodpecker, is there jail time for the cat owner? It is illegal to shoot a woodpecker, like if someone found out. :censored:
Asking for a friend….

/ Shooting a Woodpecker. #87  
Perhaps he is pecking out Morse code to tell you something:

-.-- --- ..- / .... .- ...- . / - . .-. -- .. - . ... = you have termites.

Last edited:
   / Shooting a Woodpecker. #88  
How did this devolve into the "Tweety Bird" discussion about Puddy Tats? Kill what you want on your own property, just make sure there are no witnesses ... woodpecker, cat, dog, deer, t-rex, manatee ... just don't do it on my property.

/ Shooting a Woodpecker. #89  
If the cat kills the woodpecker, is there jail time for the cat owner? It is illegal to shoot a woodpecker, like if someone found out. :censored:
Asking for a friend….
Involuntary manslaughter if you hit one with a car.