Shop ceiling options

/ Shop ceiling options #1  

gstrom99

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 855, John Deere 530R zero turn, Allis Chalmers D17 III, Ford 9N - SOLD, Kubota B1550, Yamaha Timberwolf 250, Husky saws, H & H 10k and Carry-On trailers
I'm doing all the normal research for my upcoming shop build. I'd been planning on using steel panels for the interior ceiling, but I just saw these PVC panels available through Menard's:

https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...r-pvc-liner-panel/1558731/p-1535437692002.htm

The PVC panels are slightly cheaper, and weigh about 1/5 of the steel panels. I'm leaning on going with these.

Anyone have experience or opinions on the PVC option?

/ Shop ceiling options #2  
They will not last anywhere close to steel. Stick with proven products for the job. I have a 60-year-old barn with mostly steel panels but a few of which were semi-transparent fiberglass panels for light. Fiberglass panels have weathered away completely and been destroyed into bits. Steel panels are holding up fine.

/ Shop ceiling options
I have the same issue with the "skylight" roofing panels in my Morton barn. They don't leak yet, but they are probably close and look terrible. I'm not going up there myself, but have thought about getting them replaced with the newer polycarbonate panels.

Since these are ceiling panels and will be inside and no weather exposure, I was thinking the PVC should hold up okay... ?

/ Shop ceiling options #4  
I guess they would work if you're not planning on putting any insulation in the ceiling. No way I'd use/trust them to hold up any weight.

/ Shop ceiling options #5  
I have a friend that used them in his barn. He was very pleased with them.

/ Shop ceiling options #6  
I would investigate the recommended span limits. Metal panels are rated to span 4 feet between joists, although some people have installed them with greater spans. If you go with the plastic, I would term it experimental. Metal works and is essentially permanent.

/ Shop ceiling options #7  
Good idea, like that and the price also.
Should be OK well fastened on furring strips spaced 24" apart.
I'd want to use screws @ every rib to furring contact space.
I'd also suggest a vapor barrier well taped B4 the panels go on.
I have done similar using metal panels in a large barn.

My only concern might be that many plastics tend to yellow with age.
Can U determine what the plastic material is? and will it yellow?

/ Shop ceiling options #8  
   / Shop ceiling options #9  
Save a little now and pay a lot in the future, or buy metal now, and never have to deal with it again.

/ Shop ceiling options
Thanks all. It's PVC and noted as being both "Non-Flammable" and "Flame Resistant". Color wise, the brochure also says "normal pigmentation change expected", and (only) has a five year warranty. Since they are both similar in price, I'm going with the steel, in "bright white". Too heavy to lift up by hand, so I'll use or modify a drywall lift to lift them up. Stronger and permanent.
:thumbsup: