shop vise

/ shop vise #1  

muddstopper

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ventrac, Steiner
A buddy called me up this morning saying he was cleaning out a old shop of a deceased friend. Said there was a welding table, 3x4 with 1/2in top with a 8in Allied vise mounted on it. Said I could have it for $100. Of course I jumped all over it, even tho I havent seen it, and will be going to pick it up later today. My question concerns the vise. Buddy didnt do a good job describing it, but it seems it has a swivel base as well as swivel jaws. He said the vise looked almost new, but If its the vise I think it is, ( i have seen the vise probably 40 years ago), it could be one of the good old American Made vises. Anyways, just wondering what the vise might actually be worth. Its worth the $100 just for a the welding table so I am not concerned about getting my money worth.

/ shop vise #2  
Search the site. Someone on here talked about buying old vices. IIRC he pays by weight.

/ shop vise #4  
Yup, for $100 you got a steal. Table alone is worth way more than that. If the vise is an older American made that's a big bonus.

/ shop vise #5  
Swivel Jaws might mean pipe jaws on one side. Even a poorly cast Chinese vise that size is over $100. Good find for you !!!

/ shop vise #6  
May be something like this.

forum_thumbnail1.php

/ shop vise
I guess my bubby aint the buddy I thought he was. called me a few minutes ago to tell me the vice and table are gone. Sold them to someone else for $200. Since the guy owes me $60, I think its time to go collect from the Ahole.

/ shop vise #8  
Don't that just suck. Sorry to hear that.

I have a friend that is downsizing for retirement and has promised me a couple tools. I remind him regularly.

/ shop vise #9  
I guess my bubby aint the buddy I thought he was. called me a few minutes ago to tell me the vice and table are gone. Sold them to someone else for $200. Since the guy owes me $60, I think its time to go collect from the Ahole.

BUMMER.

Take it as a sign that something truly BETTER will come along.

If it's any consolation I THINK the Allied vice was an ok quality import at best.

Terry

/ shop vise
This may be a double post, but since the first try didnt show up, I'll type it again,
Everything worked out pretty good. I showed up just as my buddy and the other buyer finished loading the table and vise on a trailer. When my buddy got paid, I hinted at the $60 he owed me and he promptly paid up. Kind of hard to say you aint got the money when you see it exchange hands. So I didnt get the table which had a 3/16 top, not the 1/2 he said it had, and the vise was a 6in and not a 8in as I was told, but I did get my money. As a bonus, while looking thru the rest of the junk, there was a few old lathe tools, mostly junk, but there was this nice 6in dead center that would fit my old monarch lathe. While my buddy was wandering around trying to sell other thing to other folks, the fellow that bought the table and vise just picked up the dead center and threw it in my truck. A little dishonest I guess, but if My buddy misses it and ask about it, I'll give it back. Other wise...............

On a side note, the former owner was really big into ham radio. There are boxes of old vaccum tubes and watt meters and big old testers, none of which I know anything about, but it might be of interest to someone into that sort of thing. Let me know what you need and what it looks like and I will see if its there. Right now it most likely will end up in a dumpster