87330d1192230148-should-i-cover-my-new-b.jpg

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 391
   / Should I Cover My New Tractor..??? #53  
Pushing_Tin said:
How does it do in the wind?

You have to tighten the straps once in while...

My wife has one of these for her Saturn Sky Turbo...:D

/ Should I Cover My New Tractor..??? #55  
Whatever you do, make sure you have REPLACEMENT insurance.

My neighbors, or someone my neighbors knew, stole my John Deer 420 (early 80's model lawn and gardon tractor - all it ever did was mow grass but it did have a PTO and such) ~6 weeks ago. It was kept outdoors chained to a moderately sized oak tree ~15 feet from the property line with a thick chain and a decent padlock. It had a replaced low-hour engine, but was still worth only ~$2500.

My experience:

Storing the "tractor" outside for 5 years, largely unused, did more damage than the previous 20 years in the garage with regular use. For my new tractor I'm starting with one of the fabric "tent" garages and putting a permanent structure on my priority list right behind a good fence.

If it's stolen, you won't get it back. Despite the drag marks going from my yard into my neighbor's yard and their statement to the sheriff that they had seen somone in a red pickup in my yard at ~3:00 in the morning where my tractor used to be, law enforcement did nothing more than file a report and tell us too bad and not to expect to ever see it again. Considering the neighbor's statement and the drag marks, that means that they had someone in a red pickup in their yard as well at 3:00 in the morning ... and if they didn't know whoever drove the pickup they would have most certainly shot them on the spot. I'd have liked them to at least look around their yard for some sort of evidence, but they didn't do anything other than take their statement (thank goodness they are moving soon!).

Because we had replacement insurance, our homeowners policy covered us for what, in their judgement, an equivalent tractor would cost new today. Take that number minus our deductable, and we have ~2/3 of the money we need to pay for a new Kubota 3400HST with all the attachments we'll need for the next 3-5 years.

On top of our homeowner's insurance, we are financing 100% with Kubota (while our $$ draws interest in the bank) and using their insurance program, which will cost us ~ $100/yr give or take.

My summary: Out of sun, out of sight, get good insurance, and either pray for good neighbors or be thankful for the ones you already have.

/ Should I Cover My New Tractor..??? #56  
I got lucky as I am in the same boat, but my grandparents farm is only a few miles away so my new JD is parked there while the house is being built. However, I did talk to my agent and my tractor is covered under my home owners policy, which at this point is actually a construction policy. Of course the downside is that the lady in the insurance office looked at me like I was crazy when I asked about insurance for my tractor. Apparently they don't get too many requests for that where I am at (my agent is in the city). ;)

/ Should I Cover My New Tractor..??? #57  
I stored mine on the trailer parked outside naked. I then moved up to using a car cover from Costco which made a big difference in the accumulation of junk and grit on the finish and kept the dash and controls dry. The car cover was really cheap and when restrained well enough it would stay put.

It's inside now and much happier.

/ Should I Cover My New Tractor..??? #58  
my BOTA is outside 24/7 and never fails me
if you have a FEL power down and remove a front tire and take it with
its a hassel but quick and cheap
Don

/ Should I Cover My New Tractor..??? #59  
SnowRidge said:
If it was more 10% of the value, it is high.

Did you buy a box blade or rotary mower? You need something heavy on the rear to counterbalance the weight of a full FEL.

So, where is your property located in reference to Eugene?

SnowRidge -

Although I always seem to have something heavy on the rear when using my FEL... the rears are ballasted with liquid. Not sure how much. What would be a standard weight and % full for these? Does it enable FEL without rear implenents/weights?

/ Should I Cover My New Tractor..??? #60  
brickman,
Loading the tires with liquid is a great way to get added traction and stability. But IMO, it is no substitute for a "counterbalance" weight of some sort. Yeah, loading the tires will make the rear of the tractor heavier, but won't take any load off the front axle, which is what a counterbalance does.

Here is a chart on filling tires and associated weights.
Liquid Tire Ballast