Should I even think about 2 wheel drive

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #21  
I've had two tractors in the 40+ years out here. Both - 4WD. There have been those times ..........

The added safety of 4WD alone is worth the cost.

Last edited:
   / Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #22  
I guess my big problem is it seems like I might can afford a 70"s model tractor, none of those are 4wd. So I might have to stick with dragging logs with my 2 wheel BCS. Just can't go up hill.

TPH subcompact tractors weigh 1,200 to 1,700 pounds.

A 4-WD subcompact tractor should pull a 500 pound tree trunk without strain, especially if half of the 500 pound trunk is elevated SLIGHTLY off the ground using a TPH Cross Drawbar, reducing trunk friction with the ground.

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #23  
The stability of a tractor is related to the layout dimensions and weight distribution. Ie; how the force vectors fit into the layout dimensions. A low centre of gravity is independent of stability.

moment of inertia, in physics, quantitative measure of the rotational inertia of a body—i.e., the opposition that the body exhibits to having its speed of rotation about an axis altered by the application of a torque (turning force). The axis may be internal or external and may or may not be fixed.

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #24  
I guess my big problem is it seems like I might can afford a 70"s model tractor, none of those are 4wd. So I might have to stick with dragging logs with my 2 wheel BCS. Just can't go up hill.

Personally I would prefer a 4wd like most have said here, especially when equipped with a loader. But there is something to be said about a two wheel drive with filled tire or weights on the rear wheels and large size chains. I have accomplished quite a bit with that type of set-up on hilly terrain, it's rather amazing what a machine like that can do. That's all we had back then.

A friend of mine has an old JD 510 backhoe, also 2 wheel drive with chains on rears, and operates in the mountains. Always amazed what that machine can do. He just plows through the earth with very little problems.

Just something to consider. I do understand that 4wd can get quite pricey.

Best of luck in your search!!

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #25  
Thinking about a slightly larger tractor than my BX2230, mainly to pull logs, power a chipper and maybe bushhogging. Limited budget of course. Looking at some 40-50 hp tractors like a Massey 150, but the two things that concern me are- one-our terrain is fairly steep, as in for a lot of it I back the BX up the hill and mow down, just not comfortable turning around on top, and the top is not that steep.I think the larger tractor may be more stable but I'm not sure. And two, will the 2wd have enough traction. I do plan on a winch in the future, so traction may not be an issue. Most of the trees I am harvesting are 22"+, so a 16' log is around a ton. Not going to hook that to the BX going down hill, even with chains and filled tires. SO, am I crazy even looking at 2wd, or try to talk my wife into spending 2-3x for a 4x4(going to be a hard sale. I have been around tractors a lot, but would value other ideas.
I did pull some heavy logs with my Ford 3000 but it had oversize 14.9 x 28 fully loaded with calcium Chloride AG tires with chains and an 1100 lb box blade with a chain hook up to pull from and diff lock. It would have been a full pucker experience on any type of hills.

Which leads me to what I would look for in your search

Maybe a 3910, 3930 4610 4630 Ford MFWD They are fairly wide and Not overly tall.
With hills don't settle for a two wheel drive, Your life is worth spending the money that will make doing the job safer. A tractor does Not have to be "New" to be the best machine for the job either.

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #26  
Unless you plan on keeping the tractor forever, you'll get the extra money you spent on 4WD back in trade.

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #27  
Something no one has mentioned yet...if you use a front end loader, 4wd is a big help. When on soft terrain, if you pick up a bucketful of heavy material, good luck on being able to back up the tractor if it is only 2wd. Had that experience many a time with my old 2wd John Deere. That heavy load out in front of the tractor lifts most of the weight off the rear tires and it just sits and spins. That even happens with my 4wd Kubota if I forget to engage the front end.

Same with going down a steep incline with a load in a bucket with a 2wd tractor. Found that out a few years ago on a gravel road with my John Deere. Though the rear wheels were turning they weren't providing much hold back. My ground speed was probably twice the speed of the rear tires. I should have backed down that road!

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #28  
My dad only had two wheel drive tractor and we have a few soft swales and some softer spots in the field that take a long time to dry up... I saw him stuck so many times for me it wasn't even a question 4WD was a must ... that being said he was mostly able to do what he wanted if he wasn't stuck, he had skidder chains and winter chains for the tires... I haven't seen your hills but can you get away with 2WD probably are you going to regret it at times for sure... in my case I was ready to sacrifice HP for 4WD to be able to stay in my budget...

Last edited:
   / Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #29  
Living on a hill myself, I started out with a 2wd and had some real close calls when it lost traction on wet ground. I mean scary and dangerous

there are no 2 wheel drive vehicles on my place now, with the exception of the z turn mower

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #30  
Something no one has mentioned yet...if you use a front end loader, 4wd is a big help. When on soft terrain, if you pick up a bucketful of heavy material, good luck on being able to back up the tractor if it is only 2wd. Had that experience many a time with my old 2wd John Deere. That heavy load out in front of the tractor lifts most of the weight off the rear tires and it just sits and spins. That even happens with my 4wd Kubota if I forget to engage the front end.

Same with going down a steep incline with a load in a bucket with a 2wd tractor. Found that out a few years ago on a gravel road with my John Deere. Though the rear wheels were turning they weren't providing much hold back. My ground speed was probably twice the speed of the rear tires. I should have backed down that road!
Actually Sawyer Rob pointed that out in post 12 I think.