Should I even think about 2 wheel drive

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #71  
I would argue that advocating using 2WD when you could have the extra security of 4WD is more a machismo thing....'I don't need 4WD like those young whippersnappers.' 4WD has been proven to be safer on slopes. Just because it hasn't killed you yet, does not make it a better idea.
Proven by who...data...facts? Maybe yes, maybe no....but proven by a bunch of post writers opinions? Not really.
Balancing the initial cost and maintenance vs the actual usage would be an interesting study. I am on a tractor every day of the year on my farm and a I rarely wish I had 4WD. But I am not feeding cattle, in a feed lot, in the winter mud.

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive
THis generated a lot more discussion that I thought it would. Some more info. I am only looking at 40-50 hp tractors, Massey 150, Ford 3600. I don't have an unlimited budget, looking at 4-6000 for the tractor. If it does not have ROPS, I will add that first. Main uses will be to power a chipper, power a farmi type winch, maybe bush hog, and if I find a loader, move logs onto the sawmill. No mud, I don't need to work when it is muddy or wet. The BX2230 and BCS 850 can handle all the snow we get, short driveway. Yes, our hills are steep, no crosswise mowing, but I can get to most of it on the ridges or the bottom if I need to pull. The timber I have is fairly large white pine, but I have no need to move more than a 16' log. And speed is not an issue, i'm old and slow. If I could find a 4x4 in the right price range it would be my first choice, I just haven't seen one.

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #74  
Thinking about a slightly larger tractor than my BX2230, mainly to pull logs, power a chipper and maybe bushhogging. Limited budget of course. Looking at some 40-50 hp tractors like a Massey 150, but the two things that concern me are- one-our terrain is fairly steep, as in for a lot of it I back the BX up the hill and mow down, just not comfortable turning around on top, and the top is not that steep.I think the larger tractor may be more stable but I'm not sure. And two, will the 2wd have enough traction. I do plan on a winch in the future, so traction may not be an issue. Most of the trees I am harvesting are 22"+, so a 16' log is around a ton. Not going to hook that to the BX going down hill, even with chains and filled tires. SO, am I crazy even looking at 2wd, or try to talk my wife into spending 2-3x for a 4x4(going to be a hard sale. I have been around tractors a lot, but would value other ideas.
If you are doing a lot of logging on steep ground, you may want to consider a dozer rather than a wheel tractor.

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #75  
The stability of a tractor is related to the layout dimensions and weight distribution. Ie; how the force vectors fit into the layout dimensions.C

Loaders are usually the best downhill braking system.
"A low centre of gravity is independent of stability."

A low center of gravity will help stability on the roll axis.

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #76  
Calcium chloride has been the death of a lot of tractor wheels.
True, but it's not always true.

I have properly loaded "tubeless" rears on one of my tractors with cal in them, and it's been there for more than 20 years, no problem at all.

Last time I checked, it would cost me more to have it taken out and beet juice put in, than a new set of rims and beet juice is lighter.

SR

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #77  
Thinking about a slightly larger tractor than my BX2230, mainly to pull logs, power a chipper and maybe bushhogging. Limited budget of course. Looking at some 40-50 hp tractors like a Massey 150, but the two things that concern me are- one-our terrain is fairly steep, as in for a lot of it I back the BX up the hill and mow down, just not comfortable turning around on top, and the top is not that steep.I think the larger tractor may be more stable but I'm not sure. And two, will the 2wd have enough traction. I do plan on a winch in the future, so traction may not be an issue. Most of the trees I am harvesting are 22"+, so a 16' log is around a ton. Not going to hook that to the BX going down hill, even with chains and filled tires. SO, am I crazy even looking at 2wd, or try to talk my wife into spending 2-3x for a 4x4(going to be a hard sale. I have been around tractors a lot, but would value other ideas.
Go with 4wd. You'll be sorry if you don't.

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #78  
I have to agree with Jeff, Dan, and others that 4WD is the only smart thing to do with what you describe as your needs. Hermio explained the reasoning behind what others were saying. It's a matter of safety since you're going to be working on hills. I'm not sure the arguments about traction and getting stuck on flat ground have any real bearing on your situation. But if you've ever slid down a hill in 2WD no matter how much you mashed the brake pedal....well, you'll never want 2WD on a hillside again! 4WD gives you braking traction that you just don't get in a 2WD tractor, because of the mechanics involved. If that's an important part of your work, I would consider it more of a necessity than an option. Not trying to be argumentative, that's just my opinion. Hope it's helpful.

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #79  
Comes down to budget, if you need more tractor and can't stomach the price of 4wd, buy a 2wd. I have 2 4wd, and 4 2wd

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #80  
You have hils. ABSOLUTELY need 4wd engaged ALL the time.