Should I even think about 2 wheel drive

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #111  
Last edited:
   / Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #112  
Please list the 4 John Deere tractor models that you own that have option for front axle brakes.
Please show me the post where I said "I" had 4 John Deere tractor models that I own that have option for front axle brakes.

SR

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #113  
Please show me the post where I said "I" had 4 John Deere tractor models that I own that have option for front axle brakes.

SR
I don’t know all, but I saw a 4455 or 4460 MFD with a disc brake on the front axle pinion.

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #115  
After using both, I wouldn't even consider 2wd unless it was an antique for novelty/hobby purposes.

Honestly, you could probably get away with something fairly reasonable in 4x4. I do what you want to do with 4x4 26hp and shuttle shift. You should look at Mahindra, Kioti, and Branson. Those will be leaps and bounds of an improvement over your BX.

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive
Still looking for a used 4x4, nothing in my size or price range. Sorry, but a 26HP of anything will not power a 8" chipper. There was a reason for the 40-50 hp size.

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #117  

SR
Sorry my mistake when you mentioned Same & JD my aging brain only noticed JD. Which model JD that you were referring to had frt axle brakes?

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #118  
Some tractors DO have 4 wheel braking... AND when the MFWD is engaged, all 4 wheels are driven, giving 4 wheel braking.

SR
4wd kind of does, I have gone for a short ride down steep wet clay patch in the pasture watching the tires slide with my feet off the HST pedals, with the tires on one side spinning backwards and the tires on the other side spinning forwards! I then hit the brakes which stopped the rears from spinning opposite directions but the fronts continued for a couple more feet until they got onto the grass again.
Probably I would've slid with real brakes on all 4 but probably not as fast?
Anyways for sure 4wd lets you work in areas 2wd isn't going to work especially using the loader, but you can also get into worse trouble too, if you get too ambitious!
If you don't really need a loader, then a wide set 2wd tractor ballasted up with chains on, and good split brakes and diff lock can probably work on some pretty steep side slopes if its not greasy.
But I've found cleaning out the barnyard in wet manure on wet clay on a moderate side slope, once you put a good fork full way out front on that loader, the only way to bring it pointed back up the hill is to use the split brakes at the back and rotate the back of the tractor down the hill... Its kind of fun to rotate the tractor skid steer style and use the brakes as the diff lock, but its tricky not to slide into anything important...

Last edited:
   / Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #119  
The choice boils down to simple physics. If you pull from the rear, it transfers weight onto the rear wheels which in most cases are bigger. The extreme case is the front wheels lifting off the ground, possibly culminating in a backflip. So for tilling, seeding, injecting anhydrous, harvesting etc., in which you're pulling an implement in a flat field, 2wd is fine. But on a utility tractor where sometimes you have a big load up front, the front wheels take most of the load and transfer weight from the rear. If the front wheels are not driven in that situation, you get poor traction. If you're on level pavement, no problem, you don't need much traction. So a tractor-loader-backhoe used by a municipal water system could do fine with 2wd. But out in the wild, yes you do need much traction.

On foundation brakes, yes there are exotic examples like the Deutz with them, but by and large the brakes are part of the drivetrain and are not foundation brakes. The triple whammy of an FEL or log grapple, steep slopes, and mud make 4wd pretty much required.

Last edited:
   / Should I even think about 2 wheel drive
I finally found something close to what I thought I wanted, of course cost more. Ended up with a Kubota L3600 with 1600 hrs. Has a loader with a 4 in 1 bucket, hyd top link and side link. OK condition, needs front tires and fluid in the rears. Also lucked up and found a Farmi winch, so for what I plan, I think I am almost set.
Thanks for all the ideas