Should I get a skid steer or a tractor

/ Should I get a skid steer or a tractor
Dirtbike*

/ Should I get a skid steer or a tractor #12  
If you're set on a SS, especially the small 743 I'd Invest in a set of over the tire tracks. Keep in mind that they and many of the attachments are not as cheap as 3 point tractor stuff. I'd look at a SS with a longer w/b. You'll find that on a bit bigger machine, 2500#+ (rated capacity) the older NH 865, Case has some (don't recall the #'s) Deere 260 + 270, and I believe Bobcat did as well. Much more stable and capable machines. And the over the tire tracks, I'd bet anyone that they provide twice the raw traction as the dedicated (ctl) rubber band tracks, just not the flotation.

/ Should I get a skid steer or a tractor #13  
Rustyiron hit it well. I had a Bobcat 763 which is longer WB than 753, definitely less “bucking”. I had a construction business and needed the additional hydraulic capability for breakers etc.

Fast forward 20 years and I opted for a tractor. My needs have changed and getting in and out of the skid wasn’t for my 60’s+ body anymore. My tractor isn’t the fastest (nor am I) but I manage to get the jobs done. If you need to move dirt, work in tight quarters or need hi-flow hydraulics it’s SS.

/ Should I get a skid steer or a tractor #15  
Also do a lot of dirtbiek track building, which I'm guessing a ss is better for dirt work

Definitely for a flat track.
If you're doing dirt bike track like some I've seen with steep banks and steep hills to get some air on... I think you'll actually find using a skid for that job to be more exciting than riding the bike on it once it's done.

You need to rent one of each and see how they handle.

/ Should I get a skid steer or a tractor #16  
Hello, I have around 34 acres that got burnt in a fire and so I do a lot of tree work and clearing. My old tractor had problems and we had to sell it and now I'm looking for something new to me. It was 23 hp. It was able to do most things I needed to but barely. I have run into a problem determining if I should get a skid steer or just a tractor but bigger. I ran into a bobcat 743 and I was wondering if they are reliable and if it could fit my application. Thanks
You didn't mention your budget, but there is a machine that I prefer over a tractor or a skid steer. Most guys are not familiar with a compact telehandler. I sold my MF240D soon after I bought my first one, click: Compact telehandler

/ Should I get a skid steer or a tractor #17  
Get a skid loader. Then you are off the races in a construction grade machine. Kind of like asking someone, do I get a Vespa or a Harley.

/ Should I get a skid steer or a tractor #18  
Kind of like asking someone, do I get a Vespa or a Harley.
I'm sorry, but (and this is just my opinion) but the answer (unless it's mathematic) ALWAYS is dependent on "what do you want to do?.

Q: What's the best snowblower?
A: The B9200TSA. It will clear up to 4' of compacted snow on a 10' wide path at approx 8 MPH with just 500 HP.
Q: So this will be able to clear my walk-way without any problems? It's a full shovel-width (50cm+) and a good 10m long?
A: Ermmm....

FWIW, my wife is pressing to get a late '50s/early '60s Lambretta/Vespa that my BIL picked up at an estate sale. IIRC he has a '50s Lambretta and two '60s Vespas.

More FWIW, I would gladly overpay my BIL for a Lambretta/Vespa before getting a deal on a Harley. You might be able to get me on a Harley, but it would have to be either A) Life or Death, or B) a large $$$$ bet. OK, not super-large-dollar. I'd get on one for a hunnert bucks. Would rite one for a couple tousand. Would park one in my garage and ride it more than twice a year for ten tousand. All that assuming there was no capital investment required.

/ Should I get a skid steer or a tractor #19  
I'm sorry, but (and this is just my opinion) but the answer (unless it's mathematic) ALWAYS is dependent on "what do you want to do?.

Q: What's the best snowblower?
A: The B9200TSA. It will clear up to 4' of compacted snow on a 10' wide path at approx 8 MPH with just 500 HP.
Q: So this will be able to clear my walk-way without any problems? It's a full shovel-width (50cm+) and a good 10m long?
A: Ermmm....

FWIW, my wife is pressing to get a late '50s/early '60s Lambretta/Vespa that my BIL picked up at an estate sale. IIRC he has a '50s Lambretta and two '60s Vespas.

More FWIW, I would gladly overpay my BIL for a Lambretta/Vespa before getting a deal on a Harley. You might be able to get me on a Harley, but it would have to be either A) Life or Death, or B) a large $$$$ bet. OK, not super-large-dollar. I'd get on one for a hunnert bucks. Would rite one for a couple tousand. Would park one in my garage and ride it more than twice a year for ten tousand. All that assuming there was no capital investment required.

My wife has a Honda Cosmopolitan which is a wannabe Vespa. Its a hoot to ride!

/ Should I get a skid steer or a tractor #20  
I bought a 50+ hp Deere, mid 2000 vintage skid steer. Very useful and reliable machine, plus it fit through a standard garage door.

Sold it when I bought my compact tractor, but ended up getting a tracked skid steer, ie a CTL.

I have said it before, but if I could have only one machine, it would be a CTL. Might be a different story if I only tended gardens, but for General dirt work, fork work, tree / forest management, ets there’s no comparison.

The tractor is easier on the lawn, though, and easier to enter and exit.