Should I say something

/ Should I say something #51  
f the dealer has any kind of a reputation, it isn't likely he would have resold the tractor without repairing it first.
Mostly likely would have looked at it, but if it wasnt a quick fix, off to auction it would go. It's the same with car trade ins.

/ Should I say something #52  
Hey, I got another one. My kid's car died on the toll road at the Indiana/Ohio border. I took a car dolly over there and towed her home. My mechanic did not have time to look at it, as she was only going to be home for a few days. Took it to a different local shop. Big shop. Well known in the area. They diagnosed that her air conditioner compressor locked up and killed the car. So they disconnected the clutch and then the car wouldn't start. They said one of the computers died and it would be around $800 to replace. I told them I kinda doubted that diagnostic and asked to speak to the owner. He had them check it again.

Blown fuse. $8. :unsure:

Car has been running fine for 6 years after that. No air, but no $800 computer, either.
I suspect stuff like this is a lot more common than we would think.

/ Should I say something #53  
An honest , competent mechanic is a valuable commodity. Each time we move it is a priority for us to find one. When we moved here I got some tire work done at one of those places that only does tires. I had some brake issues and asked the tech where he would take his car. The place just blew out the dust and charge me $25. I knew I had a winner. They could have told me it was a lot of things and charged a bunch...

/ Should I say something #54  
Thirty some years ago I used to own a transmission shop. When you are in the business, you get to know how other shops operate. There was one that played that game and would add some filings to the pan before they showed it to the customer. Sad.
Reminds me of a 'shady' person that I (unfortunately) knew.
He was contracted to do warrantee and service on a brand of new cars.
He claimed it was a shame to change oil at 1000 miles on new cars back then so he simply return the cars to the buyer after a one hour wait time,
Takes all kinds!
I could go on about that character, very little was nice.
I was a good friend of his son who had to had simply turn a blind eye to his sire's trends.

/ Should I say something #55  
Hey, I'm 82, quite mechanically inclined, an aviation mechanic and had a successful aviation business.
Life sure has shown me lots of different sides of human nature.
I still think is 'honesty is the best policy' and 'do unto others' etc.

/ Should I say something #56  
Yet another... an acquaintance ran a body shop. The local Nissan dealer sent him a new, never been sold 2 dr extended cab pickup with a huge dent in the area behind the door, as well as the new panel to replace it. I watched as he bondoed the dent, as it was quicker than doing what he was paid to do.

The last time that I saw him he was an insurance adjuster... and probably good at it, as he knew all of the tricks.

/ Should I say something #57  
"Honesty is best policy", "do unto others etc." I think has paid off for me.

Recall a client that insisted on a fixed price for a job but another client gave me 'heads up' that the 'client' was a lawyer wanting to entrap me into an impossible job that would have been a very costly disaster.

More than a few times I had 'heads up' from satisfied clients that forewarned me.
OK, I never got rich (comfortable enough) but I can sleep at night.

I met many very influential folks over time but refused to name drop for advantage.

I took a 'hobby' business to the level of 'over a million+$'s', employed a dozen good guys and contracted with governments and many big name firms.

Recall a gov't agency wanting me to design an electronic device and I simply told them it was 'off the shelf' available. As a result they went to tender for a large quantity of said item but added me as 'sole supplier'. LOL.

Another time I made a suggestion that saved the gov't tons of $$'s. Result was a nice big contract and, unbeknown to me, a recommendation to ICAO to buy my product.
Even the Canadian air force had to purchase my product.

Oh, never got rich but always enjoyed the challenges of satisfying my clients needs.
Over my career I met many CEO's, Prime Ministers, diplomats, Politian's and (a-holes).
You sure learn real fast to read a character.

One that will always stay with me is a CEO that had a modest chauffeured older station wagon (that came back after we serviced his aircraft) to show me his presentation matched pair of priceless shot guns that his wife had gifted him. Now that was a simple friendly follow up visit.
He was a founding member of 'Ducks Unlimited'!

/ Should I say something #58  
Sadly, the guys who do bad stuff don't seem to worry about sleeping soundly. It used to be fairly common for tire shops that wanted to make a little more money to squirt some oil on a shock or two, and point it out to the customer who came in for tires. "Gee, thanks for showing me that- sure, go ahead and replace those bad shocks." Metal filings in the pan doesn't surprise me.
oh so common. while living in portland the local news did an investigative reporting thing on auto shops.

they couldn't find one that didn't cheat.....same thing for HVAC companies in the area.