Should I use conventional oil, or synthetic oil in my tractor.

/ Should I use conventional oil, or synthetic oil in my tractor. #61  
There’s several grades (Heavy Duty and Signature Series) and viscosities of diesel oil available from Amsoil. Check it out online yourself and you can choose one you would prefer and the corresponding price. Free shipping with $100 I believe. I’m in Canada so it’s different for us up here… Wouldn’t use anything else myself.
How much for a gallon?
As Robin mentioned, go to Amsoil.com and look it up.

Here is what I use in the tractor - ADO1GC-EA

917C1CC6-1B44-4706-873D-F9130748286B.jpeg

/ Should I use conventional oil, or synthetic oil in my tractor. #62  
^^^^^^^^
Did it take some searching to find such a rip off price!!!!!!

Here are the actual prices;
and the one is less then your valvoline
View attachment 739240
Being a preferred customer, i get it for $8.70 cheaper than retail. That is $37.79 per jug. A jug of T6 $5w40 is $59.99.

Amsoil for me, far better oil at a better price.

/ Should I use conventional oil, or synthetic oil in my tractor. #63  
Can buy a 5 quart container of M1 0w30 ESP for $39 at Advanced Auto. It's rated C3, light diesel use. Our tractor engines are not steam ship nor locomotive diesels.
0w oil is for Euro-weenie cars used in cold climates, IMHO. It's deemed necessary for the myriad chain tensioners on camshafts, etc. I can see it on an OHC gas engine in cold-as-hell Europe where the Hausfrau starts her car up to drive 2 miles to Market once a day.

But in this Country, for the most part a 5w-40 full syn diesel is what I would recommend.

The OEM recommends a 10w-30 because there are too many VII's in a 10w-40 that can break down. It's why 10w-40 went out of favor everywhere. 10w-30 is what they use for Factory fill because of one reason and one reason only....... It's cheap and, 1a) makes the managerial elites at EPA happy (fuel economy, doncha know).

Ram used to factory fill their Cummins engines with 5w-40 full syn Valvoline. Then they went to T6. Then, when the accountants discovered how much they could save, they went to 10w-30 dino. It's probably good, not great, but good oil. Accountants and lawyers are the bane of a company's existence.

Owners manuals aren't going to recommend anything different than what they use at the factory. So if you want to use the product that the OEM gets from the Lowest Bidder...... Go for it.

I try to use 5w-40 full syn if I can. If I can't, I'll use a 15w-40. But I'll do my best to hold out for a 5w-40 full syn.

OTOH, I could be completely wrong ;)

/ Should I use conventional oil, or synthetic oil in my tractor. #64  
Three (3) Gallons for $96.45 Amazon delivery has been known to bust a jug here and there so order ahead of time. I've been sitting on mine for 3 Months. I can't change it myself on Ram 2500. Too old. I can get down on the ground but I can't get back up. :) Plus I need the two (2) fuel filters changed. Hard to find a good mechanic's shop -- Anywhere. One that won't rip your head off, that is

1648397719153.png

Last edited:
   / Should I use conventional oil, or synthetic oil in my tractor. #65  
Amazon is usually pretty standard pricing. I didn’t look further.
I guess that’s how you got poster of the month?! You can’t even find the right oil, as you showed a Premium GAS oil that happens to be THEE oil to beat in every independent test that I’ve seen. And NO WHERE NEAR THAT PRICE. Oh While I’m at it, Amazon is a rip-off most any day of the week, what-with greedy resalers and knockoff chit…

/ Should I use conventional oil, or synthetic oil in my tractor. #66  
Being a preferred customer, i get it for $8.70 cheaper than retail. That is $37.79 per jug. A jug of T6 $5w40 is $59.99.

Amsoil for me, far better oil at a better price.
You must be comparing 1 gallon of Amsoil to a 2 1/2 gallon jug of T6
I was buying 2 1/2 gallon jugs of T6 for less than $59.99 (can't find any T6 locally now, shelves have been empty)

/ Should I use conventional oil, or synthetic oil in my tractor. #67  
Must of been comparing 1 gallon of Amsoil to a 2 1/2 gallon jug of T6
I was buying 2 1/2 gallon jugs of T6 for less than than $59.99
No, Amsoil is 3.76L vs A 5L jug of Rotella - 3.76L = 1 USA gallon. I can buy 2 jugs of Amsoil for less. Tractor holds 5.7L, so $59.99 for 5L of Rotella and $15.99 for 1L of 5W40.

I will not be buying any Shell products, they recently tried apolpgizing for buying Russian oil - no thanks.

Amsoil for me.

Last edited:
   / Should I use conventional oil, or synthetic oil in my tractor. #68  
I find this thread has gotten a bit absurd. This brand of oil is best..... No it isn't.... This oil cost this... No it doesn't.... This oil comes from a country that gets oil might come from Russia..... use this weight oil rather than that weight.....

Frankly, with all due respect from the posters, I place little to no faith in the information presented in this thread.

/ Should I use conventional oil, or synthetic oil in my tractor. #69  
I find this thread quite interesting actually. It's the opinions sometimes that get in the way of reality though. Oils all have to meet the same standards, but that doesn’t mean all oils are the same. Some of us genuinely want to know what oil specs would work best for our own situation. Some others don't/can't be bothered at all. Some of us want/like doing our own maintenance, so that we can only blame ourselves when something goes wrong or feel good when we've saved some money by doing things ourselves. Others just simply call the dealer and have them service their stuff and so get their satisfaction by turning the key and pushing dirt/cutting grass etc. To each their own, like I said I'm finding it quite interesting as long as we can agree to disagree, if we have to. Here is a link to a popular Amsoil diesel oil if someone likes to check it out. I've never had an Amsoil order not get filled during this pandemic thing called supply-chain issues. That is important to someone that is in dire need of a quality made in America lube. This is available for under $29/gal and free shipping if the total order is over $100. Really not a bad deal…😉

https://www.amsoil.com/p/heavy-duty-synthetic-diesel-oil-5w-40-ado/?zo=331384

Last edited:
   / Should I use conventional oil, or synthetic oil in my tractor. #70  
I find this thread quite interesting actually. It's the opinions sometimes that get in the way of reality though. Oils all have to meet the same standards, but that doesn’t mean all oils are the same. Some of us genuinely want to know what oil specs would work best for our own situation. Some others don't/can't be bothered at all. Some of us want/like doing our own maintenance, so that we can only blame ourselves when something goes wrong or feel good when we've saved some money by doing things ourselves. Others just simply call the dealer and have them service their stuff and so get their satisfaction by turning the key and pushing dirt/cutting grass etc. To each their own, like I said I'm finding it quite interesting as long as we can agree to disagree, if we have to. Here is a link to a popular Amsoil diesel oil if someone likes to check it out. I've never had an Amsoil order not get filled during this pandemic thing called supply-chain issues. That is important to someone that is in dire need of a quality made in America lube. This is available for under $29/gal and free shipping if the total order is over $100. Really not a bad deal…😉

https://www.amsoil.com/p/heavy-duty-synthetic-diesel-oil-5w-40-ado/?zo=331384
Exactly!