Show me your welded mailboxes!

/ Show me your welded mailboxes! #1  

nikerret

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D-1
My mailbox was recently run over. I am thinking it would be fun to build a new one. Yes, I will get the plans approved by my local postmaster, before I build it. I’ve got a few things going through my head, but haven’t decided what to go for, yet.

What have you built?

Here is a link to my laundry hamper, which I built a few years ago:

/ Show me your welded mailboxes! #2  
I live on a state highway and have put lots of mailboxes up so I definitely feel your pain. I don’t want to sound like a “Karen” but a word of caution on building any kind of a box or structure that would cause serious damage or injuries if hit by a vehicle. I’m sure your postmaster will give you the specs on what is acceptable. Just don’t put yourself in the position of defending yourself when a soccer mom with a mini van full of kids has a blowout and runs off the road and hits you Fort Knox mailbox and injuries occur. Just something to think about

/ Show me your welded mailboxes!
I’m not too worried about liability. Every brick house, in my area, has a matching mailbox built from a ton of bricks. Like I said, I’ll have approval, first. Plus, I’m going to set it as far back as legally possible.

/ Show me your welded mailboxes! #5  
IMG_1815.JPG

Missing link

/ Show me your welded mailboxes! #6  
We kept getting HIT by some mailbox bashers so I had one built that would allow the largest rural box made to slide inside and get fastened from below. The bashers hit it once and never again. Even a school bus backed into it once and the heavy drill steel post just stood there. It's still standing going on 15 years now.

/ Show me your welded mailboxes! #7  
Years ago, I bought a used mower conditioner. It was wide and as I pulled it down the four lane, I kept hearing something go bam! behind me. It took four or five bams before I realized I was clipping mail boxes. The damage wasn't real bad but, when i got the conditioner home I contacted the owners offering to make it right. To my good fortune, not a one of them would let me pay for the damage. One even said his was hit so often he was used to beating it back into shape.

Last edited:
   / Show me your welded mailboxes! #9  
I'm about to replace mine.
If you gutted an old welder and fabbed a hinged door, it would be a creative mailbox. Add a solar panel nearby to illuminate some of the lights on the front, and (y)

/ Show me your welded mailboxes! #10  
I’ve always wanted to put a hinged plate on a box so when it gets hit by a bat, it squirts paint, or UV powder or ketchup/mustard on the offending car.