Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo

/ Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo
You are right about the Texas sweet onions, not to be found. Corti Bros has Walla Walla sweet onions which are very nice. I've been using them for various things recently. Might make another batch of gumbo soon. I want to find frozen crawfish tails too.

/ Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo #32  
We have used yellow onions nearly exclusively for years; I was convinced that other onions gave me indigestion, and the yellow onions...besides being sweet...didn't.

/ Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo #33  
Well I'll be expecting an invite for that Gumbo, neighbor :D

I don't recall frozen crawdads, but you might try 99 Ranch Market or KP International Market.

Or just go catch some. I think you need a fishing license. Done well in the past right around Rainbow Bridge with bologna or a hot dog ties on some string, and a net. Should be easy to catch them anywhere on the American or Sacramento rivers.

You are right about the Texas sweet onions, not to be found. Corti Bros has Walla Walla sweet onions which are very nice. I've been using them for various things recently. Might make another batch of gumbo soon. I want to find frozen crawfish tails too.

Found frozen crawdad tails at Corti Bros. I went there for pork belly which is also hard to find, and there it was right beside it. Never noticed before because I wasn't thinking about it.

/ Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo #35  
Found frozen crawdad tails at Corti Bros. I went there for pork belly which is also hard to find, and there it was right beside it. Never noticed before because I wasn't thinking about it.

Please read the fine print on those crawfish tails. Many times they are imported from China. Always try to buy Louisiana crawfish!!!

Yes it is from China. Says so in large print on the package. Not sure Louisiana crawfish get this far west.

I thought about catching them in the American River which is about a mile from our house. But the license costs $50, and you would need to hire a PhD biologist to interpret the 100 pages of regulations for freshwater fishing.

/ Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo #39  
My wife made what I thought was gumbo..but is actually jambalia a couple times over the last few weeks. Based somewhat on this thread. Its made with rice, shrimp, sweet sausage,spicy sausage,chicken, red and green peppers, a few other moderately spicy seasonings. ..Very hearty and filling. About 8-10 mouthfuls and the heat starts to build.