Shrimp Boats On Shore

/ Shrimp Boats On Shore
Here is one more of the boat cross ways of the haul out. It will have to be picked up by the crane also.

Attachments

• 735306-Hurricane Katrina 059 (Small).jpg
    735306-Hurricane Katrina 059 (Small).jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 472
   / Shrimp Boats On Shore #12  
I don't envy you the task of trying to get all those boats back in the water. It looks like a monumental undertaking!

/ Shrimp Boats On Shore #13  
Amazing. This is interesting, because pictures of boats on shore are seen after storms. But, the media never shows what is required to get them back in the water. Good job!

/ Shrimp Boats On Shore #14  
Al_Josh,

How much damage had the boats taken. From the pictures it looks like they are ok which is amazing given what they have been through. I can't believe the hulls have not been holed....

Later,
Dan

/ Shrimp Boats On Shore #15  
That's gotta be a monumental task, wish I was close enough to help.

/ Shrimp Boats On Shore #16  
hi my name is Al_josh...I am here to help you
"Here is the Bottom of the same boat after our attempt to pull it off. "
opps sorry I got to go home now
+++++++++++++++++++++++
ok Al I was just funning you. for real now...good job

/ Shrimp Boats On Shore
chucko,
I was just doing what the man told me to do. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif His attitude was if we get it good if not we will call the crane. The owner was the one with the plan and I was one of the ones called upon to do the job. We rigged the ropes just like he wanted.

These boats have been sitting in that slip for about a year because the price of fuel went up and the price of shrimp went down. The shrimping industry in the town of Bayou La Batre was already bad off. Now it is just plain sad.

dmccarty,
Most of them will be alright. Some of the boats will need alot of work. The rigging on most of them will need work. New outriggers, mast, and the one that rolled will have to be pumped out and the engines rebuilt. The ones being pulled off the shore will mostlikely have to be hauled out and the wheels replaced and keel coolers replaced and rudder replaced.

I helped out with just a few of these. This weekend we pulled a total of 7 off and had three that we needed the crane for. in the comunity there are many more that will need to be put back in the water.

Here is a pic rom NOAA's website. Dload it and zoom in. This is Bayou La Batre. You can see the Boats way out in the marsh. There is one that is way bigger than the ones we were pulling off. It is probly 400 yards from the shore line. They will dig to it then pick it up. The pic is just west of where we were working.

I am glad I was able to help. It is something that will stick with me forever.

Attachments

• 735893-katrina 4 (Small).jpg
    735893-katrina 4 (Small).jpg
    19 KB · Views: 408
   / Shrimp Boats On Shore
Here I am pumping water out of a fuel tank. I was pumping from the low side, of the one that turned on its side, to the high side so it would counter us pulling on the keel.

I was being safe as possible. We had the boat tied off and had not started pulling on it so It had been there over a week and it would be there for years so we felt it was stable. So we started the pump and got out of dodge. I was actually kneeling on the side of the boat.

Attachments

• 735901-Hurricane Katrina 061 (Small).jpg
    735901-Hurricane Katrina 061 (Small).jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 415
   / Shrimp Boats On Shore #19  
Great post Al, this is what you never see is how much time and effort goes into getting back to normal if ever. Keep youself out of harms way as it looks like there are a lot of chances for injuries. Keep up the good work. We had a fifty mile yard sale in our area last weekend and we (my wife and I) donated all of our proceeds to the Red Cross Fund.

Steve

/ Shrimp Boats On Shore #20  
Thanks for the pix Al, keep them coming.