Shrimp Boats On Shore

/ Shrimp Boats On Shore #21  
I figured as much but could not help poking a like fun at you

/ Shrimp Boats On Shore
It was a good one. I would of done the same.

/ Shrimp Boats On Shore
Well it has been a year now and there are still boats to be gotten off shore. I have worked the past couple of weekends to help get a couple of them out of the marsh. We were contracted to weld skids on the bottom of the boats so they could roll them on airbags back to the water. The airbags they were using were pretty neat. One airbag could easily lift the boat. Once lifted and braced we would weld on the skids. then using a Cat D-6 and a JD 330 Trackhoe they would spin them arround and push them down the road we made with mats.

The first picture is the road of mats and the two trackhoes and a skidsteer. I got to operate the JD 330 Tackhoe all day saturday. It was nice. You can see the first one we got to the waters edge.

The second photo is the airbag under the bottom to help stabilize the boat while we worked on it.

The third one is a wider shot of the boat and the airbag.

The fourth one was from today when I went to get our welding machine. I took a Polaris Ranger and a trailer out there and loaded it up. My wife rode with me so she could see.

After they get the second one down ther they will get an A-frame crane to lift them in to the water.

Attachments

• September 10 002 (Small).jpg
    September 10 002 (Small).jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 256
  • September 10 003 (Small).jpg
    September 10 003 (Small).jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 243
  • September 10 001 (Small).jpg
    September 10 001 (Small).jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 238
  • September 10 004 (Small).jpg
    September 10 004 (Small).jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 235
   / Shrimp Boats On Shore
Here is a link to a news story about them. You can click on the video included button in the story to see some video. The people interviewed were who contracted us to do the skids.

Shrimp Boats removed from Bayou

/ Shrimp Boats On Shore #26  
Amazing Job, Good Luck

/ Shrimp Boats On Shore #27  
Sure are a lot bigger than Bubba Gump's shrimp boat in the movie. I didn't realise they were so large..John

/ Shrimp Boats On Shore #28  
On the discovery channel a few weeks ago they were moving some barges and shrimp boats back into the water. And amazing process to watch. One of the barges was 1500 yards from the water and it weighed 160 tons and they pulled it with a boat. Just draged it across the mud. At one place there were 4 shrimp boats stacked on top of each other and the used a crane on a barge to lift them off and lowered them into the water. I would have thought most would be damaged pretty heavy, but it seemed that the major expense was just getting them back into the water. Two brothers had 3 boats stacked up and hadn't worked in 8 months because their boats were piled in a yard. They Had a crane lift them off the pile and swing them over a barge and sat them back in the water and the brothers said they would be shrimping next week. Keep uup the updates , I like to see them. Thanks, Nat

/ Shrimp Boats On Shore
This way was chosen because it would have the least effect on the marsh grass. In some cases a chanel was dug to the boat so it could be slid a short distance in to the water. You are correct about it being a major exspense in getting them back to the water. Alot were insurance jobs some were government.

Friday the 8th one of the operators bent a cylnder on the smaller trackhoe by hitting the blue boat in the first picture. I think it is a JD 2XX something that they had leased. I talked to the foreman of the guy and he said the appraiser came out to look at it and gave them a quote of 15,000. I was amazed.

Thanks,

Josh

/ Shrimp Boats On Shore
Here is an Photo from NOAA. This was taken right after the storm. The two in the lower left hand corner are the two we have been working on.

You can see the distance they were from the water.

Attachments

• Katrina Air.jpg
    Katrina Air.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 174