Shuttle Valve For Lawn Sprinkler System?

/ Shuttle Valve For Lawn Sprinkler System?
You can get a rough idea using the closest hose bib, a bucket, and a stopwatch. Just remember a 5 gal bucket holds a little more than 5 gals, then time how long it takes to fill.
I agree on the "rough idea" part as there are so many variables in determining what is a reasonable and sustainable output for the pump and the well. From my experience, a person can attach a short hose, or whatever, to the pump and easily determine GPM output. The question if whether the well will sustain this output and, if so, for how long before the pump starts to suck air.

Another part of the equation is weather patterns and whether (no pun intended) the well intake/output is affected by an abnormally dry season and/or successive years of drought.

An interesting article on ground water:

/ Shuttle Valve For Lawn Sprinkler System? #42  
tried to size the zones and nozzles such that the pressure tank wouldn't be constantly cycling the pump.
I'm not a well expert but I have been told that running the pump constantly instead of cycling is less costly on electricity and less wear and tear on the pump.

Regarding capacity of the well, I believe your latest post refers to "recharge rate" of the well. A well technician with a sounder can give you that capacity; however, as you pointed out the capacity may change by season and year.

The good news is you can use the irrigation time to minimize the drawdown of the well-- only do short sessions of watering with ample periods in-between, and don't irrigate while running the washer, people showering, etc.

Sounds like you are trying to thread the needle on multiple issues-- been there done that! :)

/ Shuttle Valve For Lawn Sprinkler System? #43  
Something like this might work...

Attachments

• Orenco.pdf
    72.7 KB · Views: 55
   / Shuttle Valve For Lawn Sprinkler System?
I'm not a well expert but I have been told that running the pump constantly instead of cycling is less costly on electricity and less wear and tear on the pump.

Regarding capacity of the well, I believe your latest post refers to "recharge rate" of the well. A well technician with a sounder can give you that capacity; however, as you pointed out the capacity may change by season and year.

The good news is you can use the irrigation time to minimize the drawdown of the well-- only do short sessions of watering with ample periods in-between, and don't irrigate while running the washer, people showering, etc.

Sounds like you are trying to thread the needle on multiple issues-- been there done that! :)
"The good news is you can use the irrigation time to minimize the drawdown of the well"
That's something I hadn't considered since adding the controller to my system recently. Thanks for the tip!

I have noticed quite a bit of difference in capabilities of various controllers but one consistency I see in some is the inability to run stations in non sequential order. Not sure why that is. I've had occasions where it would be helpful to run station 6, for example, prior to station 1.

"A well technician with a sounder can give you that capacity"
That's interesting, what is a "sounder". Can you elaborate.

/ Shuttle Valve For Lawn Sprinkler System? #45  
I've had occasions where it would be helpful to run station 6, for example, prior to station 1.
I agree this could be useful, especially when you reconfigure your landscaping... but it's usually pretty trivial to rearrange the wires so that the stations are in a different order, too. In fact, possibly easier than going through the UI some of those controllers have...