Sick of Paying Tractor Part Prices.... Make Your Own....(3D Printed)

/ Sick of Paying Tractor Part Prices.... Make Your Own....(3D Printed) #51  
Very nice!

/ Sick of Paying Tractor Part Prices.... Make Your Own....(3D Printed) #52  
This is awesome, @LittleBill21! I think I'm just like you in that 99% of what I 3D print is functional. I've had a 3D printer since 2013 and use it every chance I get. I need some of these covers for my JD 4400 and might print them just for fun.

Keep up the good work!

/ Sick of Paying Tractor Part Prices.... Make Your Own....(3D Printed) #53  
I got into this in January with an Ender 3 Pro and some basic filament. Less than $300 delivered. I had a few ideas of what could be done and actually had a request from the wife to make a part that has never been made before and can not be bought. The printer worked out of the box and the only figurine I have printed was the sample that came with the machine. Impressive detail.

The printer came with the slicer software which converts an object into layers and creates the file that you put in the printer to make it work. This is the same kind of gcode file that runs CNC machines. After all that is what a 3D printer is. There are hundreds of thousands of free files already on the the internet. A lot of them are useful items not just artwork.

Using modeling software you can create or modify files at will. I use Scad and Blender, both free open source software. Blender is very powerful and used a lot of 3D animation. It has a steep learning curve for those not into that sort of thing, however, you can still get down into the guts of the file and manipulate faces, edges and vertices one by one if needed.

There are a wide variety of filament materials available. PLA is the cheapest easiest to use but is also not very strong. ABS (same material used in injection molding) is touchy and it likes to shrink and warp while cooling. PETG is a middle ground that is easy to print and more durable than PLA. TPU is soft and makes fairly good gaskets with decent chemical resistance. Nylon and Nylon with carbon fiber are for really tough materials. For carbon fiber content it is recommended to use a stainless steel nozzle as it will wear out a brass one fairly quickly. This is just a sampling of what my cheap entry level printer will do.

I broke one of my reloading blocks. A new plastic one can be had for about $10. I can print one with a free file for a dollar's worth of plastic and a few hours of print time. I am so cheap I will make another wood one from a piece of scrap in 20 minutes and no cost but to run the drill press. 3D printing is not practical for every need. But I have made lots of things that are not easily available and have even sold a few to help pay for more filament.

Now I can look at a need and am not restricted to thinking about creating something in wood or metal or casting. I have another option. Options are good. I had to replace a controller module that cost $60 because of a broken plastic gear inside. If I had the printer back then, I could have replaced the gear for some time and $.05 of plastic. That makes ROI look pretty good. That is not why I bought the printer, but I have had $300 worth of education from it already.

For PETG try dropping your filament flow rate to 90% and don't print faster than 40 mm/s. Brands of filament differ so your tweaks may too. I was seeing too much "squish out" at the nozzle so reducing the amount of material being applied was just the fix I needed.

For the un-smooth look of print layers there is a technique available in the Cura slicer called ironing. I haven't used it yet but I think it runs the tip of the hot nozzle over the ridges without adding material to make it smoother.

/ Sick of Paying Tractor Part Prices.... Make Your Own....(3D Printed) #54  
Some say you can make a firearm using a 3D printer. Is that true?

MoKelly
Yes. It is true.

One way to do it is to 3D print the lower receivers or frames. The high-stress parts can (currently) be purchased without visiting an FFL.

/ Sick of Paying Tractor Part Prices.... Make Your Own....(3D Printed) #55  
Yea, I am on a couple 3d printing groups now, and most of it is nick knacks and other stuff. 99% of what i print is functional components. I am building a pulley mount for my ROPS, so can i hang ropes to control my forward and back movement while I am using the backhoe. Its ridiculous how you can't move it from the backhoe position.
Bill , I too own a 3D printer . A Creality 10S. Where I’d you get the files to print? Or do you do it with a cad program?

/ Sick of Paying Tractor Part Prices.... Make Your Own....(3D Printed) #56  
I used my 3D printer to replace the ashtray that came in my tractor with a small basket to hold snacks, etc. Worked great and now I'm not as hungry when working!

/ Sick of Paying Tractor Part Prices.... Make Your Own....(3D Printed) #57  
I bought a 3d printer out of interest, and for a specific project. Coming to find out I have a million uses for this thing.
Nice! How did you get/create the 3D pattern/template/model for the hydraulic caps and for your other projects?

/ Sick of Paying Tractor Part Prices.... Make Your Own....(3D Printed) #58  
Two main sources for me are Thingiverse and stl finder. Search the interwebs or I can post links if that is allowed.

/ Sick of Paying Tractor Part Prices.... Make Your Own....(3D Printed) #59  
I've got a 3D printer and some mangled dust covers but I never thought of putting 2 and 2 together until I read your post. Great idea, thanks!

/ Sick of Paying Tractor Part Prices.... Make Your Own....(3D Printed) #60  
I bought a 3d printer out of interest, and for a specific project. Coming to find out I have a million uses for this thing.

All of my dust covers were ripped or removed from my mahindra backhoe /3pt. and they are ALL different sizes, plus some of them appear to be like 13-14 bucks a piece for a 3 cent piece of rubber.

So I made my own. and they came out pretty decent. Thought some of you might get a kick out of this.

View attachment 696368View attachment 696367View attachment 696366
Can you share the .stl file or ID if it is on Thingiverse?

Thanks