Sickle Bar Sickle bar mower

/ Sickle bar mower #1  

Donnyj

Platinum Member
Tractor
Looking
Need some advice. I would like to keep the weeds and grass down around the edges of my 2 fields and keep the weeds down on both sides of the driveway. I was thinking about a sickle bar mower for doing this. Would I need anything special to attach one to a new tractor? What should I look for and what brands would be a good buy? What kind of price would I be looking at? If not a sickle bar mower, what other suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Donny

The size of the fields are 10 acres and 5 acres and the driveway is about 1,000 ft.

/ Sickle bar mower #2  
Find a used Ford 501 sickle bar mower. Will probably run $400 to $600 depending on shape. Good stuff. BobG in VA

/ Sickle bar mower #3  
if you buy one, can I borrow it? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I need one for about 1 hour per year...i'm thinking of posting an ad in the local paper asking if someone will let me beg, borrow or rent one for an hour...never hurts to ask

/ Sickle bar mower #4  
I decided a sickle bar was what I needed to trim around my pond. After researching as much as I could, I decided I needed as long as I could find. The Ford 501's I found were only 6-7 feet. They are good sickle bar cutters if you can find a clean one. The cleaner 501's I saw were closer to $1000.

Anyway, I finally found a JD 350 9 footer. I ended up rebuilding it with about $300 worth of parts and manuals. It is the style of cutter with a belt and pulleys rather than a wooden pitman "stick". This helps cut at all angles possible, -45 degrees to straight up 90 degrees. It does a great job but the 9 feet is awkward is tight spots but trims out over the pond fantastik. They don't like to tangle with metal T-post fence posts.
Another option is a flail mower if you are mowing over a gravel road and you are concerned about slinging rocks.

PS. I've been asked to come and mow around ponds but haven't accepted due to liability concerns. I WOULD NOT LOAN OUT MY SICKLE BAR. There are too many ways to easily tear it up if you aren't careful.

/ Sickle bar mower
I found a NH451 sickle bar mower in the local paper for $250.00 obo. Ad said it works. I callled, it was sold. Probably the cheapest way to go with the fields is to cut all the overhanging trees back and take the 6 ft. mower up against the edge. The driveway is a whole different situation. Some of the gravel driveway has a steep bank on the side of it. Not very tall though. The other side has a dropoff of maybe 10 ft. The sickle bar would work great {I think} on the driveway sides. If I get it cut down I could keep it down with spraying. Maybe I should start spraying earlier in the year before the weeds get up.

/ Sickle bar mower #6  
Go to our website and view many used and refurbished pitman and beltdrive sickle mowers. We have over 40 Used JD,Ford,IH,New Holland,Oliver,Dearborn,Massey, Case/IH in inventory today. Click HERE To see pictures and prices. Ken Sweet
Email sweet@scrtc.com
Phone 270-528-3323-Mon-Fri-8-5-CST

/ Sickle bar mower #8  
It doesn't take much HP to run it, BUT....

I actually bought it thinking I could run it behind my 4310 with 25 pto HP. I would have to buy or fabricate some longer 3 PT hitch arms to fit it. It has a frame which won't fit between the tires. It is cat 1 but was made like for an old 2WD tractor or such that the wheels are wider.

.....So, I run it behind my FIL's 5420 which doesn't even know its back there.

Word to the Wise, learn from my mistake and make sure that any implement will fit your tractor before you purchase.

/ Sickle bar mower #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It doesn't take much HP to run it, BUT....

I actually bought it thinking I could run it behind my 4310 with 25 pto HP. I would have to buy or fabricate some longer 3 PT hitch arms to fit it. It has a frame which won't fit between the tires. It is cat 1 but was made like for an old 2WD tractor or such that the wheels are wider.
)</font>

Kyle_in_Tex,
I'll bet some photos of that would speak 1000 words. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif