Sicma finish mower revival I need help if someone has spare time and good online

/ Sicma finish mower revival I need help if someone has spare time and good online #11  
Here are some pictures. OD is right at 9-1/16". Width is 1-3/4". Hole for shaft is about 1.365". The hub is flush with one side and about 5/16" proud on the other. It's in nice condition, just a little oily from a previous life on a deck that leaked 90 weight:)

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Flush Side.JPG
    Flush Side.JPG
    669.3 KB · Views: 75
  • OD.JPG
    OD.JPG
    598.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Proud Side.JPG
    Proud Side.JPG
    593.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Width.JPG
    Width.JPG
    463.6 KB · Views: 66
  • XYZ.JPG
    XYZ.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 71
   / Sicma finish mower revival I need help if someone has spare time and good online
Looks good. Let me get this pulley off tomm so I can measure shaft better with a mic but in the meantime do you think this is about the same?

Im gonna prob have to cut it off cause pulling on it will prob just crumble it. Yours looks cast iron, mines stamped steel, do you think the weight difference will matter any? Id guess not but Im not an expert. Pm sent on a price

Attachments

• 20210103_152359.jpg
    20210103_152359.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 79
  • 20210103_152418.jpg
    20210103_152418.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 69
   / Sicma finish mower revival I need help if someone has spare time and good online #13  
Looks good. Let me get this pulley off tomm so I can measure shaft better with a mic but in the meantime do you think this is about the same?

Im gonna prob have to cut it off cause pulling on it will prob just crumble it. Yours looks cast iron, mines stamped steel, do you think the weight difference will matter any? Id guess not but Im not an expert. Pm sent on a price

I don't know if they're interchangeable or not. There are some parts that are listed for 3 or 4 brands of Italian mowers, but I haven't seen this pulley being one of them. It would be nice if it works. It is cast iron and would last a real long time.

Pay close attention to the offset (hub isn't centered on the pulley - flush one side, sticks out the other). My one son is an engineer and could take some seriously accurate measurements if it looks close.

/ Sicma finish mower revival I need help if someone has spare time and good online
I don't know if they're interchangeable or not. There are some parts that are listed for 3 or 4 brands of Italian mowers, but I haven't seen this pulley being one of them. It would be nice if it works. It is cast iron and would last a real long time.

Pay close attention to the offset (hub isn't centered on the pulley - flush one side, sticks out the other). My one son is an engineer and could take some seriously accurate measurements if it looks close.

Ok, will get this one off at some point this week and report back. Thanks

/ Sicma finish mower revival I need help if someone has spare time and good online #15  
Found a picture of the "Roncomatic Mower Wheel Fork Straighteners". First photo is the one used most often Pretty simple plug-in for the receiver hitch, support it and hang on a big cheater. Next three are using the old hydraulic conduit bender.

Attachments

• IMG_3157.jpg
    IMG_3157.jpg
    765 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3156.jpg
    IMG_3156.jpg
    621.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3155 (1).jpg
    IMG_3155 (1).jpg
    746.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_7373.JPG
    IMG_7373.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 88
I thought Id update this thread a little showing my progress, I sandblasted the gear mount cause it was absolutely ate up with rust and the worst ( besides the pulley under it ) piece of the mower. Ive since painted it, I dont plan to restore this mower, I plan to use it so I didnt bother to fill in the deep pits before painting.

If I do too nice of a job I wont want to use the mower.

Anyhow I need to mention what a help Chim has been for me, not only did he send me the large pulley I needed for under the gearbox for the cost of shipping ( its a cast iron unit as apposed to the cheap stamped unit originally equipped ) he is also sending me the other 3 smaller pulleys because mine are pitted badly and will lead to faster belt wear.

Ive blued the gears inside the gearbox and surprisingly the pattern looks good which of course means nothing is bent or overly worn.

Im picking at this thing a little at a time.

Im in need of decals, Im guessing someone can make them but everyones been asking me for some sort of computer file which I do not have, can anyone make any suggestions?

Attachments

• 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 70
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 79
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 72
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 66
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 56
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 69
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 74
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 79
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 84
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 75
Making more progress, after sandblasting the deck I found some minor pin holes which Ive welded up.

Straightened a bunch of damaged metal ect. I think whomever was using this mower wasnt the one paying for it.

Pricing my cost for paint Ive decided to have it powder coated, cheaper than paint and will last longer. 80.00 just for a quart of epoxy primer ect ect. Makes no sense.

Again Im not gonna fill in any of the deeply pitted areas cause its gonna be a user and I dont want to get into restoring this thing to sit and never get used.

I also am having the decals made up, cost is only 75.00 and we use this place often to replicate hard to find stripe kits that are no longer avail on some of these Mustangs ect. They are basically having to re-create the entire thing and in my opinion they have given me a heck of a deal.

Thanks again to Chim for the pulleys, they arrived and are in great condition, seemingly exact duplicates to what my mower had on it.

This thing is definitely rougher than I thought but Im about at the hump now and things should start going together soon enough.

I hope someone finds motivation for their own project seeing mine.

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 71
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 76
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 74
Can anyone tell me how these spindles come apart, Im sure I could figure it out but always easier to ask. If it means having to replace seals than Id pass at this point.

I dont see any signs of leaking, they turn very smoothly and I can prob. just take them to the blast cabinet and cover the parts I dont want to sand with some duct tape.

Also Id like to replace this one arm, I cant imagine how hard someone had to hit something to bend this 1/2 steel but they did it good. No matter what I do it will never be truly straight again. Thanks

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 79
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 77
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 70
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 67
   / Sicma finish mower revival I need help if someone has spare time and good online #19  
Brooksagparts.com in Ohio has your lift arm replacement. I bought a couple a few years ago for another project. Nice restoration and good luck.

Thanks, I see it there

I figure by the time I done I could have bought a brand new cheaper mower I.E county line or equivalent but Id bet that this mower that I have is all day long comparable to a 3-5 thousand woods mower in overall quality.

Deck and related metal ( there is no sheetmetal other than the belt covers ) is roughly 1/8 + steel where as I know a cheaper mower is much thinner thinner stamped steel.

In my opinion the only thing Sicma dropped the ball on was the pulleys, they should have used a cast version that wouldnt rot.

This mower will last my lifetime and much more and will be easy to maintain after Im done with it.

Yes Im trying to make myself feel better for spending so much money on an old mower.

Last edited: