Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok?

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #81  
Most have a differential lock ,which most of the time is good enough unless you are trying to pulling something . We have several of them and the 4wd has just been more problems . If in very muddy area the 4wd is helpful . So it probably depends on your application .
What does this mean when you say "Most have a differential lock"?? We used Grizzly over 15 years ago had than did but we rarly used it. Since then all the atv's and utv's we've used didn't. I was thinking differential locks have gone out of style.

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #82  
What does this mean when you say "Most have a differential lock"?? We used Grizzly over 15 years ago had than did but we rarly used it. Since then all the atv's and utv's we've used didn't. I was thinking differential locks have gone out of style.

I agree we had a Kodiak and same thing we only used it when we where stuck side ways with one wheel off the ground and that's was the only one spinning... when engage you can't steer the quad (very stiff steering ) and its constantly fighting for traction causing the quad to swerve left and right... I think now its safe to say that most of them as limited slip differential over differential lock nowadays ... which means every full turn from the wheel with the least resistance the power get transfer for 1/4 turn to the other wheel.

Most have a differential lock ,which most of the time is good enough unless you are trying to pulling something . We have several of them and the 4wd has just been more problems . If in very muddy area the 4wd is helpful . So it probably depends on your application .

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #83  
Good morning everyone,

I might start looking for side by side for my property. I want it to have a dump bed and it only needs to be enough for 2 people to sit in. Property is rolling but not steep. For those with experience is 2x4 good enough or is 4x4 absolutely necessary? I will be moving around dirt, sticks, maybe pulling a small trailer, driving to mailbox, etc. I don't plan on any real heavy towing or driving in real muddy conditions.

Anyone own 2x4 and happy with it? Don't want to regret not getting 4x4. I appreciate any and all insight on this.
I have the 4x2 Gator and find it most comfortable to drive with the bucket seats, and the dump is excellent. Has diff lock and find no need for 4wd.
Is like the energizer bunny, just runs and runs and runs.. since 1998. Fits your "wants" to a T.

Attachments

• Image001.jpg
    Image001.jpg
    676.9 KB · Views: 57
   / Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #84  
You can still get a differential lock on several models including the Kodiak. Mostly you find it on the Special Editions (top of the line). Our one has it and it is a nice feature if you ride very difficult areas or are trying to pull someone else out. With the Power steering models, the steering issues are a thing of the past

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #85  
Had a Yamaha Viking and with the live rear axle it takes quite a bit to get it stuck in 2WD. the Long throw suspension seems to float over bumps and has plenty of power. It does have a locking diff and 4wd which can be handy when you find yourself doing questionable things. We live on fairly hilly property and it stays in 2wd most of the time even when it snows. I Load it up with firewood and haul brush as well. I do use the 4WD when climbing creek banks that are sandy soil. I added a HF 5000# winch which has come in handy a few times. My neighbor has a golf cart w ag tires in the rear and does quite well. It tows trailers etc that seem pretty heavy. Batteries aren’t cheap but the viking doesn’t exactly sip gas either. Company bought a pioneer and got it DOT prepped. the 1WD mode is neat but the heat in the cab is def something to deal with.
IMG_2415.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #86  
Two wheel drive Golf cart type with aggressive tires will do 95% of the work you will need. So much cheaper and cheaper maintenance and cheaper operation. Service is available everywhere. Mine has a dump bed and was built for the maintenance crew. These are for sale used everywhere and for home use will last many years. A low-cost full enclosure is available for every model for 12-month use. Or as some told me on this forum, what they really wanted was a new toy.

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #87  
Those of you who don't think a locking front diff in an ATV is necessary need to come ride some of the trails I ride. You'll have two of your four tires off the ground a lot of the time...and you'll want those tires still on the ground pulling hard. "Limited" slip isn't going to do it.

But if all you are doing is running around on level ground then no, a locking front diff isn't needed.

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #88  
You can still get a differential lock on several models including the Kodiak. Mostly you find it on the Special Editions (top of the line). Our one has it and it is a nice feature if you ride very difficult areas or are trying to pull someone else out. With the Power steering models, the steering issues are a thing of the past
Those of you who don't think a locking front diff in an ATV is necessary need to come ride some of the trails I ride. You'll have two of your four tires off the ground a lot of the time...and you'll want those tires still on the ground pulling hard. "Limited" slip isn't going to do it.

But if all you are doing is running around on level ground then no, a locking front diff isn't needed.

I had both ones for many years and I am not going to get in the who ride in the worse area with you but I bet I can hold my own. I used to share your opinion at first and it might be subjective but it is now my opinion that it is pretty much useless according to my experience. In my experience with it, it was useful in 1 or 2 instance out 10. Sometime you put it on and you think it will get out but it start climbing out on the left or right instead of straight where you actually want to go and it wants to flip you sideways or start climbing straight up... Much more control with limited slip... for pulling I don't think it pull more with the wheels locks it just spin more … like I said I had one for several years and it was rarely useful and longer we had that quad less we used it and at the end we never used it...

Like this? tell me how looking my front differential would've help even the left wheel doesn't touch the ground, might not look that deep but my exhaust was in the mud in the center and it wasn't like I was ''stuck'' I just couldn't get out regardless which side I was trying because it was too steep ... most time I get stuck that the issue it want to flip me over on one side or the other or even straight up vertical but at least I have more control.

1683278802046.png

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #89  
Two wheel drive Golf cart type with aggressive tires will do 95% of the work you will need. So much cheaper and cheaper maintenance and cheaper operation. Service is available everywhere. Mine has a dump bed and was built for the maintenance crew. These are for sale used everywhere and for home use will last many years. A low-cost full enclosure is available for every model for 12-month use. Or as some told me on this forum, what they really wanted was a new toy.
We have an EZGo golf cart as well as a Pioneer 500 SxS. And yes, the cart does get 95% of the use. The SxS is pulled out for any heavy duty work like pulling trailers, muddy areas, etc.. Different 'tools' for different jobs.

We love 'em both! The cart is soooo handy - always ready to go, quiet, and easy to drive. What they don't do well is heavy hauling. I tore up our first one by trying to use it like a tractor. It just isn't built for that. But what it is built for, it excels.

We're on our second golf cart, and it's probably ready to die. After all, it's 25 years old now. I'd love to find a used EZGo Workmaster but those are scarce as hen's teeth.

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #90  
I think EZGO had the workhorse and Toro had the workmaster.