Side hydraulic brush cutter

/ Side hydraulic brush cutter #21  
Would a long barred hydraulic chainsaw not work just as well, or better? I used one to clear a path through dense vegetation all the time with good results. To get to a tree that needs to come down for instance.

/ Side hydraulic brush cutter #22  
I have a question that will not be helpful at all but I am curious. Why can't you cut hedges until September ?

In the Uk we are not allowed to cut hedges until 1st September as this is regarded as part of the bird breeding season and allows for late born chicks to Fledge and leave the nest.

The UK has many thousands of miles if hedge row, some are classed as 'significant' because of their content of hedging species and mature trees, woe betide if you remove a hedge!!

I have a hedge that is in this classification I have had to fill gaps with native trees - Oak, Beeche, Holly etc. There is one very substantial Oak tree - I estimate about 250+ yrs old. There was an ash tree that blew down a few years ago and by counting growth rings at the stump I estimated it started growing in about 1700 !

After the second world war hedges were grubbed up to make larger fields and more economic use of land / machinery.
So much was ripped up that the remaining hedges caim under a degree of protection and indeed farmers recieved grants to plant new hedges to help provide green corridors for wildlife and to improve bio diversity etc.

Hope this answers the query a bit and apologies for the dely in responding - been busy cutting grass !!

/ Side hydraulic brush cutter #23  
Thanks for the info. I like learning new things like that. I hope you guys don't have the emerald ash borer that came to our country and killed our ash trees.

/ Side hydraulic brush cutter #24  
Thanks for the info. I like learning new things like that. I hope you guys don't have the emerald ash borer that came to our country and killed our ash trees.

It has not came to Maine yet so our Ash are still in good shape. Thankfully the Maine Forest Service found a cure for the Emerald Ash Borer, but I did not know they had been working on the problem. For the last few years I was eradicating Ash from my wood lot! But that is my luck, I eradicate something, and then they find a cure that saves it before the pest arrives.

Still, good news all around.

Dutch Elm Disease eradicated the Elm around here in the early 1970's, but that is now making a huge comeback. Last year was the first year I was able to go into a stand and actually get out some Elm Logs, so when I say "making a comeback", it is not just saplings that I am talking about, but saplings all the way up to trees that can make logs that can be put on the sawmill. So that is good news.

Now if only Chestnut would be able to grow...

/ Side hydraulic brush cutter #25  
That is great that you don't have the ash borer in Maine yet. I just saw the younger stage of a spotted lantern fly on my kale the other day. So, there is some good news.A lot of oak trees are dying everywhere around here too. I have heard some things about some type of oak blight or the overly wet 2018-19 killing the oak trees.

/ Side hydraulic brush cutter #26  
That is great that you don't have the ash borer in Maine yet. I just saw the younger stage of a spotted lantern fly on my kale the other day. So, there is some good news.A lot of oak trees are dying everywhere around here too. I have heard some things about some type of oak blight or the overly wet 2018-19 killing the oak trees.

There is always some sort of blight, it is just that the Emerald Ash Borer was so wide spread. I am just glad they got a handle on it before it arrived in Maine, and can deal with it if it does. But to be honest with you, I am not a huge fan of Ash anyway, so I do not see the EAB as a big issue.

But in my life I have seen the Spruce Budworm problem, Dutch Elm Disease, Hackmatack Bark Beetle Disease, and now the EAB, so these things come and go. Some have been more devastating then others, that is all.

My forest is in the American Tree Farm System so I thought about working with the Maine Forest Service on their Chestnut Tree Program. There is a lot of rules to it, but for good reason, but a good friend does this, but he is aging, so it would be nice to continue where he leaves off so that Chestnut Trees in Maine can keep making a comeback too.