Sihl starting

/ Sihl starting #1  

Code54

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D,1957 Farmall Cub Lo-Boy Kubota KX91-3, BCS 853
Any tips for getting a Stihl saw to start quickly when cold. We have two and both need about 40 pulls to start, doesn't matter if it been a day, or a month sitting in the shed. Start well warm, run like a dream and work great but that initial cold starting is a pain. Any thoughts?

/ Sihl starting #2  
How old are the saws? Always been that way?
I have a couple older stihls 024 & 034 and never had one issue with starting. Put the switch to choke, probably 3-4 pulls until they fire once, then click it up into run one more pull gets it running.

/ Sihl starting
Heck they are both over 10 years old and both have always been that way. Always thought must be a trick or something i'm missing...

/ Sihl starting #5  
I had a gas Stihl that was like that unless you sprayed with starter fluid into the air inlet. Oh, this is after refilling it. ALWAYS run it empty.

Now, our MSA-120 is no problem starting. Just pop a battery in and push the button. Same for 2 Kobalts before it.

Ralph

/ Sihl starting #6  
Part of the issue has to to with the starting operation change. the older Stihls would start and run a couple seconds on choke before you either popped the choke off and kept running or it died and you turned the choke off and then restart the saw. A lot of the newer saws don't completely start. They will poof/pop around the second or third pull, and if you miss the poof the next pull will flood the saw. With the newer Stihls I never pull more than about 4 times without turning the choke off because that means they are already flooded.

/ Sihl starting #7  
Try putting a new spark plug in it. A husky I had did the same thing. A new plug did wonders for it.

/ Sihl starting #8  
Dont forget to clean the exhaust screen. If you run the premix too rich the screens get gummed up. Carb cleaner works well. Also keep you air filter clean.

/ Sihl starting #9  
How old are the saws? Always been that way?
I have a couple older stihls 024 & 034 and never had one issue with starting. Put the switch to choke, probably 3-4 pulls until they fire once, then click it up into run one more pull gets it running.

Generally that's what works for me on my MS290 Farm Boss.....10 year old.
Cheers,
Mike

/ Sihl starting #10  
A new plug can only help.

I turn the choke off after 2 or 3 pulls even if the motor didn't pop. Then they often start after two pulls on 'run'.