Simple CAD software for barns and sheds?

/ Simple CAD software for barns and sheds? #61  
Do NOT PAY Autodesk any more money for software that you own. They won't tell you this, but you can run a virtual machine with your older windows software. It doesn't allow it to connect to the internet, so there's no worry about getting a virus. If you still own your copy of the previous windows, you can get free VMWare software for personal use;

Install the VMWare.
Install the Windows operating system.
Install the CAD software.
Keep using the software that you own....
Thank you for the info, Running autocad again.

/ Simple CAD software for barns and sheds? #62  
That would have to be a pretty old version of autocad. My 2011 version won’t run without a license.

/ Simple CAD software for barns and sheds? #63  
Thanks for posting this! I first downloaded a trial and then bought the Pro version of Home Designer. $495 was bit spendy, but I love the program and the video library/article database is fantastic. It has been a lot easier for me to grasp than expected. Unfortunately the program has exposed some inadequacies in my computer, but I'm not quite ready to shell out three grand plus for a machine that meets their specifications.
Glad you found it helpful. The biggest item with Chief is the video card and memory. I'd want at least 16 GB and 32 would be a lot safer. A new(er) video card with 2GB VRAM would also be wise. Or whatever their current specs say. I don't recall their specs being too crazy and in fact following them seemed like it would not work great. Oh yeah they say min 8GB RAM but 32 is recommended. Adding memory is usually not very expensive, so might be worth a shot.

/ Simple CAD software for barns and sheds? #64  
Thanks for posting this! I first downloaded a trial and then bought the Pro version of Home Designer. $495 was bit spendy, but I love the program and the video library/article database is fantastic. It has been a lot easier for me to grasp than expected. Unfortunately the program has exposed some inadequacies in my computer, but I'm not quite ready to shell out three grand plus for a machine that meets their specifications.
I had issues with the laptop I was running it on. They told me of a setting to change so ot would run with the built in graphics. I think it was a render setting. Check their knowledge base. I'll see if I can still open my old support ticket.

Ah, I found it. See Troubleshooting 3D Camera View Display Problems in Home Designer

/ Simple CAD software for barns and sheds? #65  
I had issues with the laptop I was running it on. They told me of a setting to change so ot would run with the built in graphics. I think it was a render setting. Check their knowledge base. I'll see if I can still open my old support ticket.

Ah, I found it. See Troubleshooting 3D Camera View Display Problems in Home Designer
Glad you found it helpful. The biggest item with Chief is the video card and memory. I'd want at least 16 GB and 32 would be a lot safer. A new(er) video card with 2GB VRAM would also be wise. Or whatever their current specs say. I don't recall their specs being too crazy and in fact following them seemed like it would not work great. Oh yeah they say min 8GB RAM but 32 is recommended. Adding memory is usually not very expensive, so might be worth a shot.

Thanks guys! I'll mess with the settings. Two years ago I bought a refurbished Acer for $380. Core i5 of some flavor, 8gb ram, 256gb SSD, and I'm pretty sure no video card. As I have been poking around the 'net a little bit I have been surprised to see that 8gb is still kind of the standard amount of ram. I get that everything is more expensive now, but it doesn't feel like the usual hardware leaps are happening.

/ Simple CAD software for barns and sheds? #66  
I've been dabbling with Room Sketcher free version/trail. It's a rough layout for a house/cabin. I never could get the hang of Sketchup.

It's like GPS mapping software Garmin's Basecamp. I never could figure it out and like many just stuck with the old Garmin Mapsource since I always found it easy to work with.

/ Simple CAD software for barns and sheds? #67  
I messed with SketchUp and watched a few tutorials. The learning curve is probably not worth the effort at this point for the carport but when the time comes for my shop I may revisit one of these apps.

FreeCAD is where the action is at. Comes with all the translators too!

The price is F-R-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E.

Get version 19.3 now! Windoze - MAC - LINUX

Work in 2D like AutoCAD LT or work in 3D like SolidWorks all for FREE !

Make 3D in 3 clicks to 2D drawings and even take the BOM to buy the lumber for the shed!

https://www.freecadweb.org

1644090762012.png

Attachments

• 1644090876750.png
    1644090876750.png
    744.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
   / Simple CAD software for barns and sheds? #68  

/ Simple CAD software for barns and sheds? #69  

/ Simple CAD software for barns and sheds? #70  
Last edited: