Simple, cheap and useful?

/ Simple, cheap and useful? #1  

varmint

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B8200, then a Kubota L3130 HST, now a Kubota L3400 HST
I always add a small, inexpensive (but waterproof) LED voltmeter to my tractors. This one cost $7 on Amazon, requires simply a hole, a switched 12V power source, and a ground. It tell me how the charging system is working, and if the battery is okay. Better than the idiot light, I think.

P1010831.jpgP1010833.JPG

Attachments

• 61fGN6UPt+L._SL1200_[1].jpg
    61fGN6UPt+L._SL1200_[1].jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 243
   / Simple, cheap and useful? #2  
Nice. Is that surface mount or did you cut into dash cover? If you did cut, what did you use?

/ Simple, cheap and useful? #4  
Simple, cheap and useful.... describes me to a tee!

/ Simple, cheap and useful?
Installation was easy, in the sense I carefully scribed the outline of the opening needed in a section of the plastic instrument cover that didn't have any obstacles behind, then used a sharp utility knife to cut, and cut again, until I had the required opening. The meter has spring tabs on the sides, and I applied a bead of silicon around the meter to make sure no melting snow or rain got behind it. The plastic of the dash is tough but not brittle.

/ Simple, cheap and useful? #6  
That's a real good idea and you did a neat installation. Knowing your charging voltage and the voltage before you crank tell you a lot and can save you some grief if you pay attention. :thumbsup:

/ Simple, cheap and useful? #7  
Great idea, can you supply the link for it.

/ Simple, cheap and useful?
"Great idea, can you supply the link for it."

Sure- just go to amazon, and enter Drok waterproof voltmeter. It is still $6.99 at Amazon. I have Prime, so I don't know about any shipping costs... sorry.

Amazon.com: DROK® 0.40" Waterproof Digital Voltmeter DC 2.5-30V Voltage Tester Red LED Panel Display Car Auto Vehicle 12V 24V Battery Power Monitor; Little DVM Outdoor Gauge for Solar System; Two Wires mode, Self powered, Measuring Lithium Battery, 18

I looked at eBay, and they cost more, so I didn't link them there.

/ Simple, cheap and useful? #9  
I have the same ones installed on both my tractor and my side-by-side. The tractor spends its nights in the garage but is used periodically in the rain/snow. The side-by-side is generally exposed to all weather and since its cover tore up has been uncovered for six months. Both appear to live up to the waterproof claim in over a year of testing. My only complaint over that of a traditional meter movement is that they are difficult to read in even moderate sun, but shading with your hand makes it possible.

I installed them after a wayward branch caught under the side-by-side causing a charging wire to pull from its connector and it died after an hour of running spark just off the battery. A meter would have warned me and made the diagnostics faster. Now, I frequently run 12 Vdc water pumps, hydraulic pumps, power inverters, etc and monitor charge condition on the fly. Very good move, and very cheap.

Dan

/ Simple, cheap and useful? #10  
I ordered one, thanks for the link.:thumbsup: