Simple Lean-To II

/ Simple Lean-To II #1  

IHDiesel73L

Silver Member
After I finished my rear lean-to I turned my attention to the side lean-to on the barn that someone had put on fairly recently judging by the fact that it was built with modern 2x4s, newer looking tin on the roof and Homasote sides:

9ovbGlVl.jpg

It was roughly 6' x 12' and I had just been stuffing crap into it but since acquiring a Kubota compact tractor and a quad I'm in need of more usable space. Also, the roofline is a bit low and requires ducking to walk into it. One nice feature is that has a concrete floor just like the rest of the barn. Whoever built it did a concrete block border and filled the voids with concrete, threw some anchor bolts in and put a 24" OC stud wall up which held up the rafters. I decided to sink two locust posts into the ground at the outer corners right next to the foundation, making it about 18" wider:

0xyWLjSl.jpg

I usually work by myself which is why multiple levels and clamps come in handy when plumbing posts. I ran an old 2x6 salvaged from my neighbor's barn between the locust posts which will carry the salvaged 2x6 rafters. The old studs and rafters from the original lean-too will be used as purlins. I'm tearing them out as I go:

JPhdAARl.jpg

Once the rafters and purlins are done I'll top it with salvaged corrugated tin from the old barn. The sides will be newer red ribbed siding leftover from construction of a pole barn. The goal is a decent sized space to park my 48" Bobcat walk-behind mower as well as my quad. Right now the quad is parked in front of the tractor and I have to move it every time I need the tractor. Hoping to have the roof on it by end of day tomorrow.

/ Simple Lean-To II #3  
I like how you use what you have.

Is there going to be any other support for the 2x6 beam that is attached to the two posts for a 12 foot span? In my experience, a 2x6 is on the small side for that long of a span, especially when supporting a roof. If it was my barn, I would put another post in the middle of that span so I would never have to deal with it in the future.

/ Simple Lean-To II
I would also, hang all those hand tools on the wall with nails to free up the ground space. (y)
I left the old ledger from the original lean-to attached to the wall and am going to put a bunch of nails/hangers in it for each yard tool.
I like how you use what you have. Is there going to be any other support for the 2x6 beam that is attached to the two posts for a 12 foot span? In my experience, a 2x6 is on the small side for that long of a span, especially when supporting a roof. If it was my barn, I would put another post in the middle of that span so I would never have to deal with it in the future.
Thanks! It obviously saves a lot of money but it's also pretty cool to add onto my barn with pieces of another old barn. My property was once part of the same farm, in fact what is now my house was a barn that was later converted to worker housing for the farm in the 1880s. I am going to throw in a middle support, I just wanted to get the thing up in a hurry so that I could get the roof on and keep stuff dry underneath of it. I'll also need it as a nailer because the sides will be covered with tin as well.

1636329507406.png

Last edited:
   / Simple Lean-To II
Progress has been a little slow...I'd get so much more done if I didn't have to go to work during the week :ROFLMAO: Center post set. Girts came from a shelving unit my neighbor had built in his barn-I also got four 4x8 sheets of 3/8 plywood out of the deal! He has to be out by December 1st so I'm trying to help him unload anything that I can use. Should be able to get the tin on the sides this weekend at that point its basically done. The tin will go on the long side and the far side, the front will just be open. Then I need to fasten all of the tin on the roof (its just laid loose right now) and caulk all of the old nail holes. After that I have to drive about half a million nails to hang all of those yard tools! Oh, and I have pressure treated lumber that he gave me for the bottom girts. So far I've built about 250 SF of covered space with no out of pocket cost at all :cool:

1636756156826.png

/ Simple Lean-To II #6  
Wow, how big is that tree next to your new shed? Looks huge!

/ Simple Lean-To II
Wow, how big is that tree next to your new shed? Looks huge!
That's a massive double stemmed black locust. 60-70' tall. There are a few of them right next to the barn but that one is by far the largest. It's got to be nearly 5' in diameter. They all need to come down because any one of them would turn the barn to matchsticks and crush my Kubota like a kids' toy if they fell. They're all tall and straight and will make great lumber-what's left will make even better firewood. I LOVE burning locust.

/ Simple Lean-To II #8  
You're making excellent progress. Working during the week is a huge inconvenience to me too!!! I could get so much more done if it wasn't for the need to make money to pay for my projects. :)

On your use of caulk for the roof, just to make sure it's a generic term. Caulk is not used on roofs. There are a variety of roofing sealants that are fantastic on metal roofs. They are sold in the roofing isle of Lowes and Home Depot. Henry has a clear one that is excellent, but Lowes also carries a few good brands too. I like the clear stuff over the black tar type sealants. They tend to remain flexible over time instead of drying out like the tar roof sealers do.

Cost for the metal roofing sealers is in the $8 to $9 range, so it's not very much money for a very good product.

/ Simple Lean-To II
On your use of caulk for the roof, just to make sure it's a generic term. Caulk is not used on roofs. There are a variety of roofing sealants that are fantastic on metal roofs. They are sold in the roofing isle of Lowes and Home Depot. Henry has a clear one that is excellent, but Lowes also carries a few good brands too. I like the clear stuff over the black tar type sealants. They tend to remain flexible over time instead of drying out like the tar roof sealers do.
You're correct-what I really meant was "gooey stuff for plugging holes in a roof," not actual caulk :ROFLMAO: Looooong day of hanging lights and running wiring today along with general cleaning up and organizing in the main barn as well. Girts are complete-sides are ready for tin:

eFrWWKpl.jpg

ut9ESj1l.jpg

kfc9w4Ql.jpg