Simplicity (Legacy)

/ Simplicity (Legacy) #1  

edgarrian

Platinum Member
Tractor
NA
A few months ago our stihl dealer had a simplicity tractor outside in the front. It had a loader on it. I gave it a quick glance and thought nice looking little tractor but never thought to myself simplicity would make a good sub compact. They didnt have a price tag on it at the time.

Well yesterday they did have a price tag. iTs 19,990.00. Thats right 20k for sub compact with a loader and drive over mower deck. I about **** my pants. So i came home and wanted to see what this was all about. It has a briggs and Stratton motor. So its gas. The reviews are mostly decent. Some negative and mostly positive.

This isn't something I would ever consider buying but thought it was interesting.

/ Simplicity (Legacy) #2  
Looks like they really dont want to sell it. A tractor with a lawnmower engine (gasoline) would not be in my wishlist at all. For $20 grand I could get a real tractor with diesel engine, HST and full hydraulics, FEL and have have a few bucks left.

Well if I add the mower deck, maybe the same price but would be a recognized dealer with a Worldwide network. I think Briggs and Stratton bought Ferris/Simplicity, hence the B&S engine. I dont think they make any engines bigger than twin cylinder and about 30 HP.

/ Simplicity (Legacy) #3  
I think that's way too high a price. Not even the green ones are close to that high, and you're getting a good Yanmar diesel. For a little gas lawn mower engine? I can't see how they would survive in the market place at that price point.

I do thing Briggs makes some bigger stationary power gas engines, but still. Maybe the dealer is just "testing the market"?

/ Simplicity (Legacy) #4  
I think that's way too high a price. Not even the green ones are close to that high, and you're getting a good Yanmar diesel. For a little gas lawn mower engine? I can't see how they would survive in the market place at that price point.

I do thing Briggs makes some bigger stationary power gas engines, but still. Maybe the dealer is just "testing the market"?

Seems like that may become a very lengthy test period.

/ Simplicity (Legacy) #5  
iTs 19,990.00. Thats right 20k for sub compact with a loader and drive over mower deck.

According to the Simplicity website, the 2WD base model is $9699 and the top 4WD model with PTO is $13249 (US$).

Could that have been a mis-read of the price tag? Can't imagine a loader would add that much more. I could be wrong though.

Edit: Ok, I probably am wrong. Closer review of the website indicates price is for bare tractor. Mower and loader would be add-ons! So, $20K could be possible!

/ Simplicity (Legacy)
Looks like they really dont want to sell it. A tractor with a lawnmower engine (gasoline) would not be in my wishlist at all. For $20 grand I could get a real tractor with diesel engine, HST and full hydraulics, FEL and have have a few bucks left.

Well if I add the mower deck, maybe the same price but would be a recognized dealer with a Worldwide network. I think Briggs and Stratton bought Ferris/Simplicity, hence the B&S engine. I dont think they make any engines bigger than twin cylinder and about 30 HP.

I believe it was rated for 33hp. But the torque wouldn't be near that. The website reviews showed that a simple oil change is a PITA by some reviewers who had the tractor long enough do one. You can get a sub compact with a backhoe for less than 20k with a cheap *** trailer. I think next time Ill chat them up for a bit. See what they have to say. It will be interesting im sure. As of right now i cant believe this thing is priced that high

/ Simplicity (Legacy)
According to the Simplicity website, the 2WD base model is $9699 and the top 4WD model with PTO is $13249 (US$).

Could that have been a mis-read of the price tag? Can't imagine a loader would add that much more. I could be wrong though.

Edit: Ok, I probably am wrong. Closer review of the website indicates price is for bare tractor. Mower and loader would be add-ons! So, $20K could be possible!

Ill have to visit with them a bit next time im there. I was pressed for time. But it indeed had 20k on it with only a loader, 3pt blade, and loader.

/ Simplicity (Legacy) #8  
I have a 98 legacy and it specked out the same as a JD I forgot the model , Both 2wd both Kawi. engines the Simplicity weighed 200 LBs. more the frame was a lot thicker and was a better built machine. 2000 hrs no major breakdowns . Cuts grass , plows snow .The mower deck is second to none with liner rollers instead of gauge wheels. That being said sSimplicity definitely went down a notch when Briggs bought them No more Kaw. engines and overall not the same . For 20 K you would be better off with a true class 1 cut not a class 0 = sub cut.:drink:

/ Simplicity (Legacy) #9  
I have a 98 legacy and it specked out the same as a JD I forgot the model , Both 2wd both Kawi. engines the Simplicity weighed 200 LBs. more the frame was a lot thicker and was a better built machine. 2000 hrs no major breakdowns . Cuts grass , plows snow .The mower deck is second to none with liner rollers instead of gauge wheels. That being said sSimplicity definitely went down a notch when Briggs bought them No more Kaw. engines and overall not the same . For 20 K you would be better off with a true class 1 cut not a class 0 = sub cut.:drink:

If you bought a tractor in 1998 for $10k, that same tractor would cost $15729 today. If the price isn't going up, the product is made cheaper.

Inflation Calculator | Find US Dollar's Value from 1913-2;)

/ Simplicity (Legacy) #10  
We sold Simplicity years ago. I think we only sold 1 or 2 legacy total. They had diesel motors back then. Super nice mowers but very expensive. I don't think they would compare well with a real sub compact tractor.