Since the Zero, the Tractor Sits

/ Since the Zero, the Tractor Sits #1  

robertm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660
After fussing with the dang drive-over deck on my BX2670 a couple of years ago, I looked into trading off the BX since I couldn’t find a used standard mower deck.
Long story short, the BX2670 went bye-bye, and a BX2380 took its place with a new deck that wouldn’t be a thorn in my side. Unfortunately, I came across a steal for a Simplicity Citation 62” Zero Turn with only 78 hours, and I couldn’t resist. Best purchase I could have ever done. Yard looks like a ball field, and I cut my mow-time in half. Now the BX sits. In 2-1/2 years I’ve only put 12 hours on her. Mostly snow removal, which I have to have. Too old to walk a blower. Not paying someone to plow. Thought about buying a UTV with a plow and dumping the BX, but they cost a fortune. To buy a new BX with all the attachments I have, it’d cost over $30k. Seems stupid to have $30k in equipment sitting for snow removal. Just wondering what you’d all do? Despite the nice mow job and saving time, would I be better to dump the zero and just get all my use with the BX? One of them gone means cash in the pocket and more room in my pole barn. Or, is it still the guy who dies with the most toys wins?

/ Since the Zero, the Tractor Sits #2  
After fussing with the dang drive-over deck on my BX2670 a couple of years ago, I looked into trading off the BX since I couldn’t find a used standard mower deck.
Long story short, the BX2670 went bye-bye, and a BX2380 took its place with a new deck that wouldn’t be a thorn in my side. Unfortunately, I came across a steal for a Simplicity Citation 62” Zero Turn with only 78 hours, and I couldn’t resist. Best purchase I could have ever done. Yard looks like a ball field, and I cut my mow-time in half. Now the BX sits. In 2-1/2 years I’ve only put 12 hours on her. Mostly snow removal, which I have to have. Too old to walk a blower. Not paying someone to plow. Thought about buying a UTV with a plow and dumping the BX, but they cost a fortune. To buy a new BX with all the attachments I have, it’d cost over $30k. Seems stupid to have $30k in equipment sitting for snow removal. Just wondering what you’d all do? Despite the nice mow job and saving time, would I be better to dump the zero and just get all my use with the BX? One of them gone means cash in the pocket and more room in my pole barn. Or, is it still the guy who dies with the most toys wins?
There are so many other uses for a tractor/loader than mowing grass. Do you not have a need to use your machine for anything else but mowing or occasional snow plowing? If not, then maybe you don’t need a tractor.

/ Since the Zero, the Tractor Sits
Well, I do have uses. Several. I used to use the forks all the time. I think I’m at a time when I have so much disorganization that it’s just inconvenient to dig the tractor out and use it. I’m working on a new rack that holds all my attachments, so I can quickly and easily snag the bucket or forks with the SSQA, as well as the ballast box. I’m probably feeling guilty being preoccupied with other house projects that don’t require use of the tractor, thus questioning the need. My son is all over me to sell the bagger and mower deck because they aren’t used. Yeah, they’d net a few bucks, but I own them and they are paid for and useful when needed… like if my zero is out of Commission. Can’t see selling those except with the tractor.

/ Since the Zero, the Tractor Sits #4  
Well, I do have uses. Several. I used to use the forks all the time. I think I’m at a time when I have so much disorganization that it’s just inconvenient to dig the tractor out and use it. I’m working on a new rack that holds all my attachments, so I can quickly and easily snag the bucket or forks with the SSQA, as well as the ballast box. I’m probably feeling guilty being preoccupied with other house projects that don’t require use of the tractor, thus questioning the need. My son is all over me to sell the bagger and mower deck because they aren’t used. Yeah, they’d net a few bucks, but I own them and they are paid for and useful when needed… like if my zero is out of Commission. Can’t see selling those except with the tractor.
"but I own them and they are paid for and useful when needed…" In my opinion - which is just that, an opinion - you told yourself what you needed to hear. You have the tools available now "if/when" you need them. Why sell - then have to replace when needed again? At a "much" higher cost!! Think it through! Good luck with that decision.

/ Since the Zero, the Tractor Sits #6  
When I first got mine I mowed with it, pretty quickly I learned that the short and narrow wheel base was just hell to mow on my mole, vole and groundhog infested yard. It is like riding a bucking bronco. I went back to the old Ford 8n and woods mower and just used the BX for close around the house, but it was really too big even for that unless you take the loader and backhoe off.

I did the same thing...almost, but mine is a Ferris 72", The few times I have got to use it, the wife gets upset if I mow now it has really helped with the bumps, and you can run the thing as fast as it will go and it cuts fantastic. What would take all weekend using three machines is now done in one morning, before 1pm with two machines.

So what do I do with the tractor.

Well I have not mowed with it in several years, so the brand new deck I bought with the tractor that costs like $3k just sits, that was a mistake. The rest of the machine I use quite often. I use it to move my junk around, dig holes for trees, dig up old trees I don't want anymore. It gets used to keep my shooting range in order. The bucket is used mainly for gravel and dirt. I drag the gravel driveway with a land plane, new toy and that is something I need to do often living at the bottom of a hill.

Little machine is sitting at 700 hours more or less, and I can't imagine what I would do without it.

/ Since the Zero, the Tractor Sits #7  
If you have room for both then I would keep them. The main reason I got mine was for snow management, if that is all that I used it for then that would be enough. I cannot be without it for snow and I could not afford and will not pay someone what they want for keeping my driveway clear.

I use it to mow for 2 reasons. 1st is that I don't like unitaskers, the 2nd is that I don't have anywhere to store another machine for mowing. I also just bought a tiller because I'm getting to old to walk behind my Troy-Bilt.

If you're not using it just leave it sit. It won't mind.

/ Since the Zero, the Tractor Sits
Thanks everyone. I’m of the same thought. Why sell for $0.50 on the dollar just to wish I’d have kept it. I could see selling the bagger and mower deck, but I feel someday when I’m too old to keep up our property and it gets sold, the package will be worth more than the peanuts I’ll get jibbed out of by some dude looking for implements for a song and dance.
Johnthomas and I’ve have bought, sold, and traded a lot of orange, and I think I’m about done thinking about this. I wasn’t even near the edge of the ledge, but I appreciate everyone’s responses to pull me back. Thanks!

/ Since the Zero, the Tractor Sits #9  
I see the recommendations to buy a zero turn and a tractor for those just getting into owning property over 5 acres.
I have 3 yr old MX5400 with only 65 hrs. When I need the tractor I need it but just not that often. The zero turn mower gets most of the use.

/ Since the Zero, the Tractor Sits #10  
I’m in the keep it camp as well. I have a hoss of a mower as well as a BX2380 plus a larger Branson.

I use the BX to haul the fuel tote around mostly which saves driving the equipment to the tote. I was thinking about selling the BX a while back but decided to find a dedicated use for her which has worked out great for me.