Since the Zero, the Tractor Sits

/ Since the Zero, the Tractor Sits #21  
Panik, I had the same issue trying to sell the MMM on my JD 855.

IMO most folks buying these smaller tractors to be "swiss army knives" are making a mistake getting the MMM. Add $2000 and get fairly decent ZT that works better, does the job twice as fast and does not need to be mounted and disconnected.
I bought one with the MMM for the grass and bought the 1725M with a Fel to be my diesel powered wheelbarrow. 😁
It's only money and we all die.
Enjoy your time above ground.

/ Since the Zero, the Tractor Sits #22  
I bought one with the MMM for the grass and bought the 1725M with a Fel to be my diesel powered wheelbarrow. 😁
It's only money and we all die.
Enjoy your time above ground.
Your post makes little sense.

Its only money, so why not have the right tool for the job if you can afford it. If a MMM was the right tool, commercial operators would not be using ZT's. The MMM is a compromise and a PITA compromise if you use a tractor like a tractor.

Even if the MMM was as fast as a ZT I would still not want a MMM. Spending an extra $2000 to get the ZT instead of a MMM over the 20+ years of use is worth it.

I have owned both. Not my first rodeo. When I had the MMM for the JD855 I used a 48" rider to cut my 2 acres. But I use my tractor as more than a diesel powered wheelbarrow.

/ Since the Zero, the Tractor Sits #23  
I say keep it. Too hard to replace. Lots of things sitting around that dont get used often are worth some money.... but we still keep alot of those things too.
Nice to have the back up machine. A plow truck takes up more room and can come with hidden issues. You know what you have with the tractor. Extra cash tends to burn holes in pockets. Even if you put it in savings.

/ Since the Zero, the Tractor Sits #24  
When I bought my TC30 a couple of years ago, it came with a MMM, but no loader. I didn't need the MMM because I already had a nice commercial Z turn mower. I sold the MMM to help pay for the loader I bought for my TC30. I would have always just been taking up space.

/ Since the Zero, the Tractor Sits #27  
Panik, I had the same issue trying to sell the MMM on my JD 855.

IMO most folks buying these smaller tractors to be "swiss army knives" are making a mistake getting the MMM. Add $2000 and get fairly decent ZT that works better, does the job twice as fast and does not need to be mounted and disconnected.
I most definitely agree about the issue with the Swiss army mode of thinking.... sometimes though it's almost unavoidable. In my case the Swiss army purchase was a result of two factors:

1) At the time we had just purchased 5 acres in a new state and I didn't think I could afford two pieces of equipment. Right up until we purchased that land, 4 of those acres were in active corn/soy production and I wanted something that provided utility in converting that production land into something approaching a yard.

2) The BX was my very first foray into owning any type of tractor.

We've since moved to 11 acres with 4 of it being mow-able rough "yard". Looking back I think I still would have bought a tractor first then a zero turn. The 2 things I would have done differently would have been:

- Gone with a rear-finish mower instead of a mid-mount.
- Gone with a slightly larger tractor frame purely for the increase in loader capacity. The nimbleness of the BX has been a huge plus for me in the yard, in the woods (surprisingly) and most certainly storage.

If you don't mind sharing... were you successful selling the MMM for your JD 855. If so how long did it stay on the market and how do you feel about its selling price vs. the value had you sold it with your JD 855?

/ Since the Zero, the Tractor Sits #28  
... Swiss army mode of thinking.... sometimes though it's almost unavoidable. ...
It can also be a limit on space. I simply do not have anywhere to store a machine dedicated to mowing. Town says I have all the out buildings that I'm allowed to have, in fact I have 1 more than I should have. I had to get a variance to put in my solar array because it is considered and out building.

As it is I store things under my solar panels when not in used. Trailer, snow blower, tiller and FEL. Keeps the sun off them, keeps pounding rain from directly hitting them, but does not keep them completely out of the weather.

I would never own a piece of equipment with an engine that I couldn't keep out of the weather. I treat my equipment better than I treat my cars.

As it is, if I get any more equipment I'll have to rent storage somewhere and truck things back and forth. I could probably have something considered "temporary", but with the wind I get it would have to be something substantial or it would be destroyed of blow away.

/ Since the Zero, the Tractor Sits #29  
It can also be a limit on space. I simply do not have anywhere to store a machine dedicated to mowing. Town says I have all the out buildings that I'm allowed to have, in fact I have 1 more than I should have. I had to get a variance to put in my solar array because it is considered and out building.

As it is I store things under my solar panels when not in used. Trailer, snow blower, tiller and FEL. Keeps the sun off them, keeps pounding rain from directly hitting them, but does not keep them completely out of the weather.

I would never own a piece of equipment with an engine that I couldn't keep out of the weather. I treat my equipment better than I treat my cars.

As it is, if I get any more equipment I'll have to rent storage somewhere and truck things back and forth. I could probably have something considered "temporary", but with the wind I get it would have to be something substantial or it would be destroyed of blow away.
I'm in a similar boat but for different reasons. No issue with ordinances or restrictions, but while I'm blessed to have come into a property with a shop and covered storage I'm running out of space. Zero turn, 24' trailer and wood storage take up the covered wing of the shop. The tractor gets parked in the shop. Because I dislike how disorganized it looks to have implements sitting out in the shop "yard" they are also crammed into the shop on dollies.

Currently considering building a small rack at the front of where of park the tractor so that I can put the 3pt sprayer on a shelf and maybe park the landscape rake up underneath so I don't have to climb over as many implements to get to the shelving on that side of the shop.

Not a complaint in any manner (I feel blessed with what I have), more acknowledgment that I understand where you're coming from

/ Since the Zero, the Tractor Sits #30  
I most definitely agree about the issue with the Swiss army mode of thinking.... sometimes though it's almost unavoidable. In my case the Swiss army purchase was a result of two factors:

1) At the time we had just purchased 5 acres in a new state and I didn't think I could afford two pieces of equipment. Right up until we purchased that land, 4 of those acres were in active corn/soy production and I wanted something that provided utility in converting that production land into something approaching a yard.

2) The BX was my very first foray into owning any type of tractor.

We've since moved to 11 acres with 4 of it being mow-able rough "yard". Looking back I think I still would have bought a tractor first then a zero turn. The 2 things I would have done differently would have been:

- Gone with a rear-finish mower instead of a mid-mount.
- Gone with a slightly larger tractor frame purely for the increase in loader capacity. The nimbleness of the BX has been a huge plus for me in the yard, in the woods (surprisingly) and most certainly storage.

If you don't mind sharing... were you successful selling the MMM for your JD 855. If so how long did it stay on the market and how do you feel about its selling price vs. the value had you sold it with your JD 855?

I ended up trading the JD 855. The MMM and brush hog were part of the trade. Got $7000 for it on trade in 2019. The MMM had not be used much by the previous owner and still had the original belts. The 855 and bush hog had been rode hard and put away wet by the previous owner. I knew did not take care of his stuff. I paid $3500 and also got a rake (that I still have) so it was a good deal. Put another $2500 into it to get it servicable. Used it for two years and made $1000 on it...not bad.

I tried selling the MMM for $1500 and could not get any bites on it.