Single acting loader to double acting

/ Single acting loader to double acting #1  

rockmonton

Tractor
International B414
So, recently had a massive water break and my driveway is only starting to dry out. Unfortunately I'm too cheap to get in a proper packer and get everything back into place, and digging/bringing in new fill was a very large quote (13' deep, all wet clay). Dumped two semi loads of proper fill around the pipes though.

Leads me to the question. As terrible of an idea as it is, would it be reasonable to convert my single acting loader to dual acting for some down pressure?

I have some cylinders from an old auction pull that'll fit without modification, my hydraulic block will convert to da very easily with parts on hand, I have hoses and fittings to cobble it together. Only thing I'd add is a diverter valve to let it float and act like an sa cylinder when needed.

I'm thinking that aside from maybe adding a few attachment points to the frame, I should proactively add some bracing as pictured? This tractor really is used to push snow around town, spread gravel, and rototill. Nothing special, and I've got pretty good access to a shop with a mill/lathe/etc and plenty of scrap.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20211107_165917.jpg
    20211107_165917.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 148
  • 20211107_165946.jpg
    20211107_165946.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 144
  • 20211107_170554.jpg
    20211107_170554.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 149
   / Single acting loader to double acting #2  
If it’s easy enough to do, this is a no-brainer. Down pressure is always a good thing.

Edit: rather than add bracing where you pictured, I’d be more inclined to connect each side of the loader frame across the front of the grille.

Last edited:
   / Single acting loader to double acting #3  
Down pressure is useful for some things. I'd be lost without that function.

However, the large footprint of the bucket will make the loader useless for tamping. To prevent settling you need good fill and a good tool for compaction. Material needs to be placed in small lifts.

/ Single acting loader to double acting #4  
The loader is useless for compacting. You can do a lot better by just driving back and forth over the whole thing.

/ Single acting loader to double acting #5  
The loader is useless for compacting. You can do a lot better by just driving back and forth over the whole thing.

Yep. Driving on it will compact better than the loader bucket. But you can pick up some weight in the loader bucket to help the tires compact the soil. Still, you aren't going to be able to compact more than a couple of inches deeper than the treads sink...if that.

Think about it. You can only compact with the weight of the tractor. And you want to apply that weight through the smallest footprint you can so that the compaction pressure goes up. And a tire is smaller than a loader bucket. So the tire is better. A lug tire is better yet.

Compaction won't work unless you have somewhere for the water you squeeze out to go away.

/ Single acting loader to double acting
Yeah, it's gonna have to dry up a fair bit more. I'm more worried about leveling/back blading. Anything structurally I should be worried about? These loaders as far as I know we're never meant to be pulled down on.

I do have a much smaller manure bucket that I usually use.

/ Single acting loader to double acting #7  
Yeah, it's gonna have to dry up a fair bit more. I'm more worried about leveling/back blading. Anything structurally I should be worried about? These loaders as far as I know we're never meant to be pulled down on.

I do have a much smaller manure bucket that I usually use.

I had a single acting bucket on the JD530 for about ten years until I converted it. Looking at your photos, I'd lash a thousand pounds of old steel and concrete or rocks into the bucket.... or whatever weight it will pick up.
Then drive over the area I want to level, lower the bucket, tilt the front edge down a few degrees - you may have to chain it there to get the angle right, push the loader control all the way forward so the bucket floats on the muck, and back up so that you are back-dragging the bucket across the goo. That's not hard on a loader as long as the front of the bucket is tilted down and you only go backward. Do not try to go forward without lifting the bucket first. Most old single acting tractor loaders will handle that kind of backdragging as long as it's only tilted down maybe five or ten degrees.

Looks like a mess there. Good luck.
rScotty