Sit in bathtub/shower?

/ Sit in bathtub/shower? #31  
the cost of our tub was FAR CHEAPER than having to move. Now we can stay in our home and enjoy the years of effort on the hobby farm. At the time that we renovated and bought the tub, we were only in our early 50's, and my wife (who has a significant number of health issues) was already thinking about a retirement condo in an assisted living gated community. I wasn't seeing that as a solution at all.

/ Sit in bathtub/shower?
I think another reason they went for the bench is that my father in-law hated baths. He was a shower guy.
At the end of the day, my dad always liked soaking in a hot tub. Still remember my mom getting out the espom salts (and my wife does the same thing for me time to time LOL).

It was actually my wifes idea about the walk in tub because she noticed he (dad) never takes a bath anymore.

It'd be easy if my dad hated baths LOL

/ Sit in bathtub/shower? #33  
At the end of the day, my dad always liked soaking in a hot tub. Still remember my mom getting out the espom salts (and my wife does the same thing for me time to time LOL).

It was actually my wifes idea about the walk in tub because she noticed he (dad) never takes a bath anymore.

It'd be easy if my dad hated baths LOL
Well, if he likes the baths, a bathtub it is. (y)

/ Sit in bathtub/shower? #34  
Have someone coming to look at our basement bathroom for my father to install a sit in bathtub shower.

Anyone have one? How do you like it?

My dad is pushing 91 and he's been slowing down (we have an appointment with the VA because it's more his breathing than his back lately).

If my dad doesn't have it, he doesn't need it. He says no to spending money on renovating a shower, which I figured would happen.

That said, my FIL died this past January, and my wife took her fathers shower seat for my dad, and my dad loves it as he dosen't have to stand to take a shower depending on how he's feeling.

We figure if he could actually sit instead of lay down for a bath he'd love it. That said, per the sales phone call, they were already asking if me and my wife (homeowners) would be home as well as offering discounts over the phone which scares the heck out of me to prepare for a sticker shock.

We will never buy "on the spot", and I'll check around. Just curious as to if anyone here went through this route and what your experiences were?

Thanks!
Those installed sit tub showers are crazy expensive.

/ Sit in bathtub/shower?
Well, if he likes the baths, a bathtub it is. (y)
It's far from a done deal. First, 3 quotes. What I had seen online (and it took some work as it wasn't as easy as I thought it'd be) is pricing ranging anywhere from 5k to 20k installed.

What scares is me the first company is using a basic selling technique over the phone that they want both my wife and I there (to help eliminate on their end spouses "playing" off each other to not be able to sign on the spot after the quote). I also don't need to hear about all my discounts, as I just want the bottom installed price with what my expectations should be after it's installed.

/ Sit in bathtub/shower? #36  
Maybe this is too crazy of an idea, but what about a hot tub?

I understand you don’t bathe in a hot tub, but it provides the relaxation and health benefits of warm water - plus all the jets moving the water.

You still need to get inside the tub - but you can get steps up and into the tub along with railings.

The other advantage is the whole family can enjoy.

On the downside, hot tubs are scarce (like lots of stuff today) and there will be a wait to get one delivered.

Just a thought.

Good luck on your decision.

MoKelly

/ Sit in bathtub/shower? #37  
It's far from a done deal. First, 3 quotes. What I had seen online (and it took some work as it wasn't as easy as I thought it'd be) is pricing ranging anywhere from 5k to 20k installed.

What scares is me the first company is using a basic selling technique over the phone that they want both my wife and I there (to help eliminate on their end spouses "playing" off each other to not be able to sign on the spot after the quote). I also don't need to hear about all my discounts, as I just want the bottom installed price with what my expectations should be after it's installed.
Yes, we've been the victim of a similar selling technique involving a cabinet door replacement company and the price going up if we don't buy tonight. Conversation ended with "Get the $%^#!! out of my house!" :mad:

My mother in-law got suckered into a multi-thousand dollar air conditioner a few years ago in a similar deal. She didn't consult with her kids or get any other estimates. Paid more than twice what it should have cost, then was embarrassed to tell us.

Good luck with your estimates. Kick them in the pants if they try to pull any high pressure stuff. :cautious:

/ Sit in bathtub/shower?
Yes, we've been the victim of a similar selling technique involving a cabinet door replacement company and the price going up if we don't buy tonight. Conversation ended with "Get the $%^#!! out of my house!" :mad:
Psych 101. Leave unloaded guns in plain view. Show a visible twitch during the sales presentation. S&W MP15-22 best gun IMO to leave "laying around". If the salesman knows his guns, he'll mention the caliber and talk about it, and if he doesn't, he'll think it's a AR and either say something stupid or keep his mouth shut.

They don't go over that in sales training LMFAO.

/ Sit in bathtub/shower? #39  
Or leave a couple pamphlets laying around the house...

57113065-BB1D-4E0D-8251-125BA64DCD4D.jpeg

/ Sit in bathtub/shower? #40  
Will ask when at the VA, thanks for the reminder. Both companies had mentioned that since medicaid doesn't cover it (dad still using TRICARE) they can offer us discounts, which tells me they just inflate the price to knock money off.

Don't think we'd qualify for the USDA program.

The HISA would probably be the most relevant.