Sit in bathtub/shower?

/ Sit in bathtub/shower? #71  
There's a story in our family that started out with several moms going shopping together and leaving several dads to watch the kids. It ended with the moms coming home to see the dads hosing off a poopy baby in the back yard. 🤣

I think there's probably laws (and morals) against hosing off our parents in the back yard. But gotta admit, if they're OK with it, then...... ah. No.

/ Sit in bathtub/shower? #72  
Heads up for anyone considering a walk in tub. When my late father purchased his it was very expensive but he did not care. His only gripe was the fact that to take a bath he would have to get in, close the door and start filling. Even with excellant water pressure he would freeze while WAITING for the tub to fill. He then added heat lamps above, but the issue continued due to him being on blood thinners etc which is common with older folks. As a shower it was fine but he wanted the tub and jets for muscle relief.

/ Sit in bathtub/shower? #73  
Primary reason why I didn't try this with some help on my end was the time it would take for me and more smarter help than myself to get it done. No way my father could wait that long without the use of the bathroom in the basement. Day and a half we could make work.

Install crew was two people, to rip out the old bath shower / shower walls, change the drain and shower side with new walk in tub, shower and walls ran two days, about a total of 34 labor hours.
Safe Step installed ours in about 7 hours, 1 guy

seat is heated, so you don't freeze as it fills

it is a very well thought out tub, and there is going to be cost for that engineering, as with anything. There are options from walk in tubs to lawn chairs, - your choices and your circumstances will guide you. If it is beneficial, then it is worth it... like buying a car, or tractor :)

Last edited:
   / Sit in bathtub/shower? #74  
they have to sit there while it drains?
to drain the Full tub, it takes about 3 minutes, not a big deal.

as I said previously, this is a choice you make when you need it, or as you plan for it. I don't think of it as a goal, more of a necessity. but opinions may vary. (my opinion certainly changed, after it became a safety concern)

/ Sit in bathtub/shower?
Heads up for anyone considering a walk in tub. When my late father purchased his it was very expensive but he did not care. His only gripe was the fact that to take a bath he would have to get in, close the door and start filling. Even with excellant water pressure he would freeze while WAITING for the tub to fill. He then added heat lamps above, but the issue continued due to him being on blood thinners etc which is common with older folks. As a shower it was fine but he wanted the tub and jets for muscle relief.
The tub we have has a heater in the seat and back. Got to start it 15 mintues before you start your bath though so it gets warm.

Because the basement is below grade, my father runs the furnace in the summer time to boot. I helped him with a bath and tucked him in last night, and I was sweating bullets until I got to the first floor 🤣

/ Sit in bathtub/shower?
to drain the Full tub, it takes about 3 minutes, not a big deal.
My dad let me try out the tub last night.

Curiosity got the better of me.

11 minutes 30 seconds to completely fill and 2 minutes 15 seconds to completely empty.

That said, the installer said we had good water pressure / flow rate for being on a well, so you time may vary.

Honestly, it was nice, but I liked the older lay in tub better that was removed because it already had water jets. Kind of also take for granted that you just run the water for the lay in tub when your out of it and hop in when it's filled. Thing is, I can do that, but my father can't.

He's taken 3 baths already, and generally soaks for at least 30 minutes each session. Although I wouldn't have bought one for myself at this point, for him it's worth every penny.

/ Sit in bathtub/shower? #77  
My dad let me try out the tub last night.

Curiosity got the better of me.

11 minutes 30 seconds to completely fill and 2 minutes 15 seconds to completely empty.

That said, the installer said we had good water pressure / flow rate for being on a well, so you time may vary.

Honestly, it was nice, but I liked the older lay in tub better that was removed because it already had water jets. Kind of also take for granted that you just run the water for the lay in tub when your out of it and hop in when it's filled. Thing is, I can do that, but my father can't.

He's taken 3 baths already, and generally soaks for at least 30 minutes each session. Although I wouldn't have bought one for myself at this point, for him it's worth every penny.
Those are good numbers. (y)

I spend longer than that reading in "the library" after lunch. ;)

/ Sit in bathtub/shower?
Those are good numbers. (y)
From my own experience last night...

Time seems to go a lot slower when you're sitting butt naked in a tub waiting for the water to fill up vs just filling a tub up (when you're not actually in it) while at the same time sitting on the hopper looking at a magazine or your phone waiting for the water level to get high (who jumps in a tub with no water in it waiting for it to fill up? Not me).

Honestly, it seemed like a long time I was butt naked in that tub with no water around me LOL

Keep in mind, it wasn't until about the 6 minute mark that the water actually to start to hit my butt sitting on the seat. Because the tub is wider at the chest area, it takes about the same time to fill up from your butt to your chest level.

First time I ever took a bath like this other than hopping in a jacuzzi at a resort and the water was INSTANTLY at neck level.

It did feel kind of weird in the sit in tub for the first time.

Because the tub was smaller width wisly "completely full", to get my neck down in the water, I put my back on the seat and used my kees againt the front of the tub. Kind of perfect as nothing need to do on my end to get the water level down to my neck and I could lay there relaxing. What my dad did because he's only 5' is kneel in the leg area and that brought the water level up to his neck.

When I had the Kholer guy give me a quote, he explained that due to the average age of the customer, they don't want the end user to become "trapped" in the tub if they somehow slip and can't get up from the floor (where your legs are). Something you or I may not think about because it dosen't apply to us, but it makes sense when you think about what "could" happen given the layout of the sit in tub.

Last edited:
   / Sit in bathtub/shower? #79  
I really appreciate all the info you've posted on this project, concerning your father and all. It's helping guide me in any future bath remodel decisions. I know I want a seat bench in a shower when I'm older. Still not sure about a tub, though. Never been one to soak. I do swim, though, so one of those small pools with the jets might be in my future.

/ Sit in bathtub/shower? #80  
I really appreciate all the info you've posted on this project, concerning your father and all. It's helping guide me in any future bath remodel decisions. I know I want a seat bench in a shower when I'm older. Still not sure about a tub, though. Never been one to soak. I do swim, though, so one of those small pools with the jets might be in my future.
Ours is a bit like this...can easily be moved. Can withstand the water. Held my weight when I was approaching 300lbs. For me personally, a good shower head provides better muscle relief than a jetted tub. Add in a hand held and you can put the pulse directly on the pain.
Screenshot_20210806-143530_DuckDuckGo.jpg