Size of Dozer?

/ Size of Dozer? #31  
I have a Deere 450h, 16,000 lbs. Great dozer. If clearing the bigger the better. But if roads and house sites, Deere 450, 550 and 650 are great machines. They all use the same engine. The 350's are too small for most people and transmission parts have been a problem for a lot of years. The G series Deere were some of the best of the older ones. I was lucky and found a H (hydrostat) machine. They are a lot easier to learn to run. But be aware that the newer hydrostat machines repairs can cost you big time. One pump or drive motor may be as much as $25,000.
I know more about the Deere machines, but know good and bad on all of them.
I would never own a dozer without a 6-way blade.

Very good post. Not only the 350, but the 450 and 550's prior to the G series are problematic if the transmission fails. Especially on torque convertor machines.

/ Size of Dozer? #32  
I know a good portion of the members on this forum tend to think that dozers are just going be to a maintenance headache. I for one can tell you that like any piece of equipment, you can find a gem, or a complete pile of junk. We have 4 on our farms, and they see 50-100 hours of use per year. They haven't been any more problematic than any of the other machines in our stable.

If you buy a piece of junk, you will not be happy with it. If you buy something that has been maintained, it will most likely serve you well.

The difference between piece of junk and something that you don't have to wrench on is about $50,000 to $70,000 more then the piece of junk

/ Size of Dozer? #33  
I'm a nobody when it comes to being a Peterson CAT customer but they sure have treated me well...

Anything need from my D3 is available and when I had a metal line break the counter asked if I was on a job... I said yes.

Walked me back the shop and made the line right there...

Seems they are all about getting their machines up and running...

While there once I was offered a job... the guy owned a excavating and paving company and said he was hiring...

When I bought the 350C the seller also had a 450 for the same price and a 550 with hoe for a little more... he was surprised the 350C was the one getting all the calls... I said it is something I can move with what I have... nice guy retiring and leaving California... he even delivered it.

It has done a lot of trail work and no problem with Christmas Tree stumps... it was owned at one time by the Irrigation District...

Have not tried but I'm sure I could get my 10k out of it... which was actually the plan but even for a 75 to 100 hours a year it is so useful...

I guess this is why Dozers come in all sizes...

/ Size of Dozer? #34  
I'm a nobody when it comes to being a Peterson CAT customer but they sure have treated me well...

Anything need from my D3 is available and when I had a metal line break the counter asked if I was on a job... I said yes.

Walked me back the shop and made the line right there...

Seems they are all about getting their machines up and running...

While there once I was offered a job... the guy owned a excavating and paving company and said he was hiring...

When I bought the 350C the seller also had a 450 for the same price and a 550 with hoe for a little more... he was surprised the 350C was the one getting all the calls... I said it is something I can move with what I have... nice guy retiring and leaving California... he even delivered it.

It has done a lot of trail work and no problem with Christmas Tree stumps... it was owned at one time by the Irrigation District...

Have not tried but I'm sure I could get my 10k out of it... which was actually the plan but even for a 75 to 100 hours a year it is so useful...

I guess this is why Dozers come in all sizes...

Caterpillar set the bar on proficient, organized service and repair in the mining industry. Their technicians are well trained and knowledgeable.

/ Size of Dozer? #35  
Boy 1sttractor2018, get'n what you looking for on dozer knowledge??
My dozer is an early model 1150B. Its on its second undercarriage, second engine and rebuilt hyd. cylinders all around. Brakes need attention but I can still find and acquire all pieces and parts for them. NOT that all other parts are still available. Deere even cat has 'no longer available' parts. Try ordering axle parts for a 1980's vintage deere 640d skidder or simular parts for a same vintage cat 518 cat skidder.
I did not do the undercarriage or engine for my dozer, it was done before me. I did the hydraulic cylinders I could get apart myself, the angle cylinders went to the hydraulic shop, that had zero issues rebuilding the two cylinders.
For as much as I use the thing, two weeks a year round' about, its gunna last me one helluva long time.

/ Size of Dozer? #36  
The difference between piece of junk and something that you don't have to wrench on is about $50,000 to $70,000 more then the piece of junk

Yeah, that certainly could be true.

/ Size of Dozer? #37  
I find that the smaller 10ton dozers are nice for finish grading but don't handle larger trees very well. I'd go with Ortimber's advice, 20ton excavator for the clear out and finish dozer to final grade.

For roads etc you'd want a 650 class machine, the smaller 350/450 sizes are better suited grading around buildings.

I just thought he was looking for something that can get the job done on a budget. But of coarse if he wants to spend money do it the TBN way.....you need a Cat D11 or a Komatsu Super Dozer.

/ Size of Dozer? #38  
I just thought he was looking for something that can get the job done on a budget. But of coarse if he wants to spend money do it the TBN way.....you need a Cat D11 or a Komatsu Super Dozer.

A few generations of my family have accomplished a heck of a lot with a 1950's JD420 crawler. If you have the budget then the pricier equipment will certainly get the job done and save time which is priceless, but ambition and small equipment can still accomplish a lot if you have the time.

/ Size of Dozer? #39  
I been around heavy equipment all my life, my dad had the big and small of dozers. Most big were CAT and the smaller were John Deere. There are a few things that I was told when growing up that I learned to be true. My dad was an excellent teacher ...... like most dads.HE always said it cost $$$$$$$to run iron ,lots of $$$$$$ ,and the bigger the tractor the easier to operate, next a lot of people that run big tractors can't run small. They will eventually get it right but it will take some getting used to.The reason being the size difference and power.....I found this to be true on a few occasions when out moving dirt. A lot of guys get a tractor and spend a lot of time moving dirt more than once..... you have to know what you want , and what the finished product is too look like. The best size I've found for the work you've have mentioned has already been stated. The 450,- to 650 size regardless of make would be my choice, unless you want and need bigger in the future. But also keep in mind that the bigger the tractor the more $$$$$$$ for maintaining and a bigger truck (rig ) to move, along with permits if needed. It used to be up to D6 with out blade no permit where I'm located but that's probably since changed..... I'm no longer into too much, I currently own a JD 450E series .... it does all I ask on my farm. Just my .02ct I hope this helps you out , there are a lot of guys on this site that have a lot of knowledge and experience. Good luck !

/ Size of Dozer? #40  
Yep, bigger machines whether they be dozers. loaders, etc are easier to be good on than small ones. But it all comes down to the guy in the seat. The small machines will do the job too if you know how to work them.