Size of Dozer?

/ Size of Dozer? #21  
there is a bunch of big Dozers abandoned on the Northwest passage, they didn't want to spend the money bringing them back!.. also, in Alaska, there are many Dozers abandoned because they got stuck, and the owners just gave up on them!..

Even if given a brand new dozer in Alaska, it would be mighty pricey to haul it to Andersen IN.
Maybe some cheap ones in the Panama canal area too!

/ Size of Dozer? #22  
Only have owned two... a D3 and Deere 350C

The D3 was small but could really get a lot done compared to the 350C

The 350C is like a little mountain goat and just seemed a lot more stable blazing trails...

Several times I had the D3 in places I simply could not back out... so I had to keep going down...

So far the 350C has not had the same problem of getting stuck with me at the control.

6 way blade, ripper and pedal steering on the D3 made it a joy to operated compared to the lever steering of the 350...

Could be I was lucky but my 17 years of D3 ownership worked out to about $100 a year for lines, hoses, filters... etc...

It was used as a pipe layer so not a lot of dozing prior to my buying it with the boom removed...

/ Size of Dozer? #23  
Not really much land clearing, wanting to clear 20 year old logging trails for dirt bikes/four wheelers and a few 1/2 acre homesites. I知 thinking a winch on the back of the dozer would be good to pull trees for firewood/lumber would be a good idea
My thoughts too. If roads, trails are established a winch makes lots of sense. Even if you wanted to wide'n a spot or make a trail or road a bit longer you still are well equipped😁

/ Size of Dozer? #24  
These older small Case 450 and the John Deere equivalent were very popular and are excellent landscaping dozers. You can usually find them reasonably cheap.

They are just the perfect size and weight for finish landscaping.

I find that the smaller 10ton dozers are nice for finish grading but don't handle larger trees very well. I'd go with Ortimber's advice, 20ton excavator for the clear out and finish dozer to final grade.

For roads etc you'd want a 650 class machine, the smaller 350/450 sizes are better suited grading around buildings.

/ Size of Dozer? #25  
I own a 1989 Case 1550 dozer. It has an 8 way blade, 170 hp and weighs 40,000 pounds. Before buying it, I rented a Deere 450 G dozer for a couple of months. The Deere was somewhere around 80 hp and mostly used for building up house pads for residential jobs. It was great at spreading material and maintaining roads, but horrible at digging or clearing land. It wasn't heavy enough to break through my summer hard baked red clay soil. It also struggled with pushing piles of trees. It could move them forward, but it just spun it's tracks when trying to turn. Overall, it was huge disappointment to me, but also very educational in what not to buy.

The Case is big enough to dig in my soil, push over trees if the soil still has some moisture in it, and really get a lot done. I dug my 4.5 acre pond with it and couldn't imagine a better tool for doing that.

I would never buy Case again because they do not support their older equipment. It has three hydraulic pumps that are powered by a Cummins 8.9 six cylinder turbo engine. One of the pumps went out and Case would only sell me a new replacement pump for $25,000 plus labor if they do the work. They will not work on fixing the existing Sundstrand pump. I took out the pump and had it rebuilt for $2,700 and then put it back in myself. Deere has the same pump in there 850 dozers and they sell parts to rebuild them, but Case doesn't. For the engine rebuild, I went to NAPA for parts, but they said that they have to have the serial number for the rebuild kit. When I gave them the number, they said that it's not listed and they cannot sell me any parts for that engine. Only the dealer can supply parts for it. From what I understand, Case and Cummins have some sort of a deal about only Case being able to sell parts to the engines used in Case equipment. I also had the radiator fan come apart and destroy the shroud. Case no longer caries those parts. I got lucky and found a salvage place in Florida that had them for $1,500. I currently need to replace my sprockets, which will cost me about $2,500, but I have other things that are more important to me right now to spend $2,500 on, so that will wait for awhile.

One day, I really look forward to selling it and never owning a dozer again. It's fun for about an hour, then it becomes work. After 4 hours, it becomes painful and by the time I get off of it I'm in total pain. Only a skid steer is more painful to operate for any period of time, it's just pure torture after awhile!!!!

Tractor Supply has a good selection of large wrenches. You will need every size from 7/8's on up to 2 inches. 15/16's seems to be a very popular size for most of my hoses, but some are twice that size. I bought a kit with a bunch of different sizes, and then I've added other sizes as I've needed them. I have a pretty good collection now, and when something breaks, I grab a dozen different sizes with the hope that I only have to go back one more time to find the correct sized wrenches.

If I was buying today, I would probably only look at Cat, Deere and research the heck out of Komatsu before looking at them too. I've read that Cat has the most expensive parts, but they have every part for every machine they ever made. I've dealt with Deere and they had everything I needed, but I also thought they where obscene with their prices. I've heard that Komatsu makes Deere and Cat seem cheap in what they charge for parts, but I have no first hand knowledge of that and I would check with them before buying. Case is actually pretty fair on their prices. The cost of the engine rebuild from Case was very close to what NAPA was going to charge me if they could have sold me a rebuild kit.

I don't think you will be able to get much done with anything under 100 hp. Everything under that amount are more for finish work.

Dozers are pretty easy to work on, but everything is super heavy and expensive. If you go slowly, it's all doable and not very complicated.

/ Size of Dozer? #26  
I own a 1989 Case 1550 dozer. It has an 8 way blade, 170 hp and weighs 40,000 pounds. Before buying it, I rented a Deere 450 G dozer for a couple of months. The Deere was somewhere around 80 hp and mostly used for building up house pads for residential jobs. It was great at spreading material and maintaining roads, but horrible at digging or clearing land. It wasn't heavy enough to break through my summer hard baked red clay soil. It also struggled with pushing piles of trees. It could move them forward, but it just spun it's tracks when trying to turn. Overall, it was huge disappointment to me, but also very educational in what not to buy.

The Case is big enough to dig in my soil, push over trees if the soil still has some moisture in it, and really get a lot done. I dug my 4.5 acre pond with it and couldn't imagine a better tool for doing that.

I would never buy Case again because they do not support their older equipment. It has three hydraulic pumps that are powered by a Cummins 8.9 six cylinder turbo engine. One of the pumps went out and Case would only sell me a new replacement pump for $25,000 plus labor if they do the work. They will not work on fixing the existing Sundstrand pump. I took out the pump and had it rebuilt for $2,700 and then put it back in myself. Deere has the same pump in there 850 dozers and they sell parts to rebuild them, but Case doesn't. For the engine rebuild, I went to NAPA for parts, but they said that they have to have the serial number for the rebuild kit. When I gave them the number, they said that it's not listed and they cannot sell me any parts for that engine. Only the dealer can supply parts for it. From what I understand, Case and Cummins have some sort of a deal about only Case being able to sell parts to the engines used in Case equipment. I also had the radiator fan come apart and destroy the shroud. Case no longer caries those parts. I got lucky and found a salvage place in Florida that had them for $1,500. I currently need to replace my sprockets, which will cost me about $2,500, but I have other things that are more important to me right now to spend $2,500 on, so that will wait for awhile.

One day, I really look forward to selling it and never owning a dozer again. It's fun for about an hour, then it becomes work. After 4 hours, it becomes painful and by the time I get off of it I'm in total pain. Only a skid steer is more painful to operate for any period of time, it's just pure torture after awhile!!!!

Tractor Supply has a good selection of large wrenches. You will need every size from 7/8's on up to 2 inches. 15/16's seems to be a very popular size for most of my hoses, but some are twice that size. I bought a kit with a bunch of different sizes, and then I've added other sizes as I've needed them. I have a pretty good collection now, and when something breaks, I grab a dozen different sizes with the hope that I only have to go back one more time to find the correct sized wrenches.

If I was buying today, I would probably only look at Cat, Deere and research the heck out of Komatsu before looking at them too. I've read that Cat has the most expensive parts, but they have every part for every machine they ever made. I've dealt with Deere and they had everything I needed, but I also thought they where obscene with their prices. I've heard that Komatsu makes Deere and Cat seem cheap in what they charge for parts, but I have no first hand knowledge of that and I would check with them before buying. Case is actually pretty fair on their prices. The cost of the engine rebuild from Case was very close to what NAPA was going to charge me if they could have sold me a rebuild kit.

I don't think you will be able to get much done with anything under 100 hp. Everything under that amount are more for finish work.

Dozers are pretty easy to work on, but everything is super heavy and expensive. If you go slowly, it's all doable and not very complicated.

You said it best!........"never owning a dozer again"

/ Size of Dozer? #27  
Even if given a brand new dozer in Alaska, it would be mighty pricey to haul it to Andersen IN.
Maybe some cheap ones in the Panama canal area too!
those are for someone with their own trailer, and move them by themself.. and then, I hear trains are the cheapest mode of shipping, if you can get close enough to one to do that..

/ Size of Dozer? #28  
I have a Deere 450h, 16,000 lbs. Great dozer. If clearing the bigger the better. But if roads and house sites, Deere 450, 550 and 650 are great machines. They all use the same engine. The 350's are too small for most people and transmission parts have been a problem for a lot of years. The G series Deere were some of the best of the older ones. I was lucky and found a H (hydrostat) machine. They are a lot easier to learn to run. But be aware that the newer hydrostat machines repairs can cost you big time. One pump or drive motor may be as much as $25,000.
I know more about the Deere machines, but know good and bad on all of them.
I would never own a dozer without a 6-way blade.

/ Size of Dozer? #29  
I have always had interest in owning a dozer, never had any experience with one other than being around them most of my life.

I have operated everything from skid steers to 20 ton cranes, just never had the opportunity for a dozer.

I guess the main reasons I never really looked into owning one was:
1: It seemed it was more cost effective for me to hire the little amount of work I have needed out
2: maintenance on a dozer intimidated me

/ Size of Dozer? #30  
I know a good portion of the members on this forum tend to think that dozers are just going be to a maintenance headache. I for one can tell you that like any piece of equipment, you can find a gem, or a complete pile of junk. We have 4 on our farms, and they see 50-100 hours of use per year. They haven't been any more problematic than any of the other machines in our stable.

If you buy a piece of junk, you will not be happy with it. If you buy something that has been maintained, it will most likely serve you well.