Box Scraper Sizing a Box Blade

/ Sizing a Box Blade #1  

MtnViewRanch

Elite Member, Advertiser
Tractor
Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,
Seems like there is always someone asking about what size of a box blade that they should buy. There are always exceptions, but I think that in general one should get a box that covers their tire track width or up to 6" wider total width. (3" each side) It is my opinion that you should be able to pull a full box blade (pictured) over the toughest areas that you would ever need to move material on your property. As an example if you have a steep drive that needs to be graded, you should be able to pull that full BB up the hill as well as down it. If you cannot pull it up hill, then you might need a smaller or lighter blade in my opinion.

So do you guys agree or have other criteria that you would use to be sure that you have the right box blade for your purposes? I know that if a person has little or no experience, they have to rely on others to help them out.

Attachments

• IMG_0301.JPG
    IMG_0301.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0300.JPG
    IMG_0300.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0304.JPG
    IMG_0304.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0305.JPG
    IMG_0305.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 108
   / Sizing a Box Blade #2  
Brian,
I am more concerned with grading quality ( ability to hold a grade) than the ability to move large full loads of dirt. Even though my boxblade will move alot of dirt (30+cuft) I don't find that to be a big concern. I wan't the box to be heavy enough that it stays put without riding or deflecting up, my present unit does a much better job of this than my prior ones. All the 3 pt hitches I use are free to raise up, so weight in the implement provides all down pressure. Hard to get good results with a light unit.

/ Sizing a Box Blade
Steve, I agree, but what good is it to have an 1800lb 8' wide BB behind a 40hp tractor?

Are you saying that you cannot pull your 7' BB when it is full of dirt? :confused:

I moved a few hundred yards of dirt last weekend, I am very happy that I am able to pull a more than full box of dirt. Finish grading is not the only thing that needs to be considered when purchasing a box blade.

/ Sizing a Box Blade #4  
Steve, I agree, but what good is it to have an 1800lb 8' wide BB behind a 40hp tractor?

Are you saying that you cannot pull your 7' BB when it is full of dirt? :confused:

I can pull it with a full load of dirt just as I can push a full load with other implements. My main interest though is shaping and grading with finesse. Moving the bulk of the material is easy, you can teach almost anyone to rough the job in but getting an accurate close grade is easier with one of our heavy duty boxblades that won't ride up unncessarily.

There are occasions when I am simply cutting down a mound where having the high capacity is useful, and makes the job go faster. When I am dealing with a difficult contour and finish work I often creep forward and backwards at a snails pace while constantly adjusting the tnt as needed. If the box isn't heavy enough it doesn't stay in place and all is lost.