Skid Steer or CUT for Road Maintenance?

/ Skid Steer or CUT for Road Maintenance? #11  
HaD several SS working on my property by contractors... Had to use my SCUT and FEL and chain link drag to clean up after them...SS are hell on ground.... IF you have "tractors" just get a couple of implement's you might need if you don't have them... IF driveway is to small for your tractors, it's to small for your cars and trucks....

/ Skid Steer or CUT for Road Maintenance? #12  

/ Skid Steer or CUT for Road Maintenance? #13  

/ Skid Steer or CUT for Road Maintenance? #14  

/ Skid Steer or CUT for Road Maintenance? #15  
An actual skid steer is difficult to grade with. The short wheelbase makes it quite difficult to get rid of washboards. A CTL is a lot better but still not what I would buy for that much road maintenance. A decent size tractor with a land plane would be way faster. If you just wanted to buy something different a compact grader would be the tool for the job.

/ Skid Steer or CUT for Road Maintenance? #16  
Depends on your level of experience and what you are doing to maintain your road. I would always go with a tractor however, since getting a skidsteer and having to fix my roads when they wash out. Hands down the skidsteer is quicker easier and more enjoyable than a tractor and I’m only using a bucket. Same with the tractor. Only a bucket. Side by side comparison. I will always take the skidsteer over the tractor. In fact since getting the skidsteer the tractor no longer does road maintenance or snow plowing. Again all I have for them is buckets.

/ Skid Steer or CUT for Road Maintenance? #17  
I have a mile long driveway that is not paved. After 40+ years - the surface is a mixture of volcanic ash, silt, sand and gravel. After spring break up - the driveway dries and becomes as hard as 40 year old concrete.

Been out here 40+ years. The first 27 I had a Ford 1700 4WD. It simply was not strong enough to pull a heavy implement that could break the driveway crust.

2009 I bought a brand new Kubota M6040. With FEL, grapple, RimGuard loaded rear tires and 1000 pound rear blade - it weighs 10,000 pounds.

Now I can pull a heavy Rhino rear blade and Land Pride LPGS. They will definitely re contour the driveway surface.

/ Skid Steer or CUT for Road Maintenance? #18  
If I had to maintain a large length of road, I would buy a pull behind land leveler has shown in these pictures. You could attach this to the three-point of the tractor and with the hydraulics on the back tip left and right and fine-tune the adjustments up and down. This would eliminate the transfer to the box blade that often causes problems when trying to level with a three-point box blade.

There are heavier options made that come with scaffires, but these pictures are what I found on a quick search.

Attachments

• IMG_1400.png
    IMG_1400.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1399.png
    IMG_1399.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 22
   / Skid Steer or CUT for Road Maintenance? #19  
I currently have two tractors and am considering a third to use exclusively for maintenance on my 1.25 mile private road. I do a lot of grading, ditch work, hauling & spreading material, etc. Some of the work is in tight spaces. Ignoring the significant difference in price between a CUT and a skid steer, what would you choose and why?
I just use a tractor, landplane, landscape rake and offset blade and I maintain a mile and a half of driveway and shared road. It only takes a few hours when I do it 3 or four times a year. I can't see a dedicated machine for that chore. If I did, it would likely be something like this

Champion 600d road grader - heavy equipment - by owner - sale - craigslist

Then I could have the fun of learning how to use it.

/ Skid Steer or CUT for Road Maintenance? #20  
I just use a tractor, landplane, landscape rake and offset blade and I maintain a mile and a half of driveway and shared road. It only takes a few hours when I do it 3 or four times a year. I can't see a dedicated machine for that chore. If I did, it would likely be something like this

Champion 600d road grader - heavy equipment - by owner - sale - craigslist

Then I could have the fun of learning how to use it.
I'd flag that ad. Looks way to good to be legit. For $10k I'd buy it and ship it to CA. ;)