Sliding Table for Belt Grinder

/ Sliding Table for Belt Grinder #11  
I got the sliding table set up to work with the grinder in the horizontal position. It removes material very fast and accurate. I debated making a fine adjustment mechanism to move the table toward and away from the belt, but decided for starters to just move the tool rest arm in and out. That works but is too clunky. So the next step is to make a screw in/out adjuster.

Totally looking forward to what you come up with for feed adjustment. Again, nice work so far

And I know you did it a while back but I love your vertical to horizontal mechanism.

/ Sliding Table for Belt Grinder #13  
That's a beautiful machine. My dad, after he retired in the 70's, started making knives again and needed a belt sander to shape blades and grips. (He had begun in 1945; as the manager of the propeller rebuilding shop at the Pensecola Naval Air Station, he had time on his hands as the need for pilot training, and fixing bent propellers, waned at the end of the war. He had steel car springs, aluminum and bakelite to play with.) (I should add that the prop factory was mostly "manned" by Navy Waves, making his war service probably the best period of my dad's life!) He made his own 2" x 72" belt sander, which I have and use today. My only issue is this: I had purchased 36 various grade industrial quality belts in the 90's, and they are now breaking at their seams from time to time during use. It's a shame since about half of them are unused. Anyway, they are extremely useful machines that more people should consider.

/ Sliding Table for Belt Grinder
I had to order some specialized hardware for the fine adjustment mechanism so that took a couple days. Installation took two minutes if that. Didn't even have to drill any holes. I am using a sort of turnbuckle with ball ends. The threads are 1/4x28. I calculate that a 1/12th turn of the turnbuckle (half a flat) translates into about .011 movement of the roller. For this type of operation, poor man's surface grinder, the angle of the belt doesn't matter. What matters is engagement of the roller to the material.

Anyway it works well. I added a couple handles for ease of use, probably safer too.

I still want to add another motion to the work table (to get both x and y motions) but that can wait until I figure out a good way to do it.

Attachments

• gr7.jpg
    gr7.jpg
    536.6 KB · Views: 99
  • gr6.jpg
    gr6.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 106

Attachments

• actuator.jpg
    actuator.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 64
This is my V2.0 adjustment mechanism. The first one worked on the belt wheel arm. This one works on the tool rest arm, in both upper and lower mounts. It also uses a 1/4 x 28 threaded rod. The fine adjustment for this machine only has to move 1/8" or so. More elaborate mechanisms are not needed.

Attachments

• adjust.jpg
    adjust.jpg
    716 KB · Views: 79
   / Sliding Table for Belt Grinder #18  
Very nice projects - both of you! 👍
Just subscribed to Kenny's YouTube to have a better look later.
You guys and your "operating room" clean and organized shops do kinda pizza me off...
(at myself 😉)
Have you seen the guy on yt that built the "go cart belt grinder"?

I decided to install a proper slide on the work table. It is from China and very well made. No play anywhere. Linear bearings for the slide mechanism and a ball screw for the movement. For $150. I could about buy the materials for that and then still have to make it. I also got a magnetic door lock for use as a magnetic chuck. I am still thinking how best to mount it. I need to keep everything interchangeable to easily switch from one work holding adapter to another, depending on the material and operation.

slide1.jpgslide2.jpgslide3.jpg