Slime in a dump trailer tire?

/ Slime in a dump trailer tire? #1  

GreatWhitehunter

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 110 TLB
I know this has been discussed before, but I've reread the previous post and need some clarity. I noticed on the slime bottle it says not for speeds over 45 and the it says except trailer tires. I'm taking that to mean it can be used in trailer tires. I have a 10k dump trailer with a leaking plug. I want to replace the leaking plug and then add slime as a precaution. Does this sound like a good idea? The tread on the tire is like brand new so I really don't want to replace it so soon. But for saftey should I just get a new tire and maybe us this one as a spare?

Matt T.:D

Last edited:
   / Slime in a dump trailer tire? #2  
I've used slime in a car tire of two with no problems. If you properly install the plug it really shouldn't leak. I wouldn't see a problem with using the slime for extra protection from a future flat, other than if you were running alot a higher speeds.

/ Slime in a dump trailer tire?
I didn't plug the tire, it was that way when I got it. I agree it shouldn't leak. So I planned to remove the old plug install a new one and then run the slime as added protection.

/ Slime in a dump trailer tire? #4  
Slime is wonderful stuff. I've seen it seal some fairly large holes. I'd just replace the bad plug and then follow the Slime bottle instuctions and not worrry about it.

/ Slime in a dump trailer tire? #5  
GreatWhitehunter said:
I know this has been discussed before, but I've reread the previous post and need some clarity. I noticed on the slime bottle it says not for speeds over 45 and the it says except trailer tires. I'm taking that to mean it can be used in trailer tires. I have a 10k dump trailer with a leaking plug. I want to replace the leaking plug and then add slime as a precaution. Does this sound like a good idea? The tread on the tire is like brand new so I really don't want to replace it so soon. But for saftey should I just get a new tire and maybe us this one as a spare?

Matt by the time you buy the slime would it not be as cheap to take the tire off and have them repair it. I would have them take the tire off and patch it from the inside. It is more work to do that but to me that is a much more permanent repair.

I have used slime several times and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. When it works it is great when it doesnt then you would have to have the tire repaired any way.

/ Slime in a dump trailer tire? #6  
The reason they tell you not to use it in tires on your vehicle that go over 45 MPH is because it will cause a tire imbalance. Up to 45 MPH it doesn't really cause a problem, over that however the sealant tends to collect on one side of the tire and make a heavy spot causing a large imbalance and tire vibration/shimmy. It really doesn't matter to much in trailer tires as you wouldn't feel the vibration but in a vehicle tire you would.

/ Slime in a dump trailer tire? #7  
DieselPower said:
The reason they tell you not to use it in tires on your vehicle that go over 45 MPH is because it will cause a tire imbalance. Up to 45 MPH it doesn't really cause a problem, over that however the sealant tends to collect on one side of the tire and make a heavy spot causing a large imbalance and tire vibration/shimmy. It really doesn't matter to much in trailer tires as you wouldn't feel the vibration but in a vehicle tire you would.

So when you take off the tire the slime is actually hard?

/ Slime in a dump trailer tire? #8  
It doesn't really get hard--just slowly flows to the bottom of the tire when sitting for a period of time. As you use the tire again it gets re-distributed around the tire--this is fine on slow moving vehicles, and may not be noticed on your trailer, but if you don't use the trailer that often, the additional vibration caused by the settling and the re-distributing may cause more damage over time than you would like.

/ Slime in a dump trailer tire? #9  
czechsonofagun said:
So when you take off the tire the slime is actually hard?

No, most tire leak preventative additives are a semi-fluid and are about the consistency of NGLI #000 to #0000 grease. They maintain this consistency and do not harden. What happens at speeds over 45 MPH is that it tends to get slung to one side of the tire and causes a imbalance which causes vibration. Not that noticeable in a trailer tire but very noticeable in a vehicle tire.

/ Slime in a dump trailer tire? #10  
DieselPower said:

Except that several of the tire sealant web sites claim that the sealant actually balances the tires dynamically/automatically as it gets distributed around the inside of the tire.
I had thought that the "except trailer tires" clause was partly because the load rating of trailer tires is at a top speed of 65 MPH - - not that 90 with trailers is uncommon around HERE (-: