Slip Clutch Adjustment help!

/ Slip Clutch Adjustment help! #11  
The tiller keeps spinning. So I will loosen a 1/4 turn and see what happens. Thanks.

You're on the right path. If it slips under a medium-to-heavy load, tighten it up 1/4 turn. Try to keep all the bolts at equal pressure.

/ Slip Clutch Adjustment help! #12  
I have never adjusted my tiller slip clutch. I like it the way it's set right now. It'll stall the engine but most times I'm quick enough to shut the pto off before the engine stalls.

I don't reset it every spring as I store my tiller inside and it doesn't get rusty.
Perfect -- assuming it does sometimes slip as the engine stalls.​

There is much ado about very little in the thread. A slip clutch is a catastrophic overload prevention device. It should not act within normal max torque of the tractor, but only above that.

/ Slip Clutch Adjustment help!
If not already mentioned... For visual proof the clutch is slipping make a line across the clutch and steel plates.

So I knew to do that. However I know the clutch was slipping because it got HOT. however my the two pieces of tape I put on remained aligned. I must have them on the same part of the cliutch?

/ Slip Clutch Adjustment help! #14  
   / Slip Clutch Adjustment help! #15  
I have never adjusted my tiller slip clutch. I like it the way it's set right now. It'll stall the engine but most times I'm quick enough to shut the pto off before the engine stalls.

I don't reset it every spring as I store my tiller inside and it doesn't get rusty.
You are making a mistake not servicing your slip clutch;if it stalls the tractor the clutch is "not" working period.It is not that difficult to do.

/ Slip Clutch Adjustment help! #16  

Well, at some point in time you'll be posting a question on how to rebuild your tractor's pto clutch...:rolleyes:

/ Slip Clutch Adjustment help! #17  
Ah but you guys are both wrong. My slip clutch gets tested every year. Most times by just the right sized rock getting caught up in the tines. If there was no slip in the clutch there is no chance that I would get the pto shut off in time. I'm fairly quick but not that quick.

/ Slip Clutch Adjustment help! #18  

Perfect -- assuming it does sometimes slip as the engine stalls.​

There is much ado about very little in the thread. A slip clutch is a catastrophic overload prevention device. It should not act within normal max torque of the tractor, but only above that.

You are making a mistake not servicing your slip clutch;if it stalls the tractor the clutch is "not" working period.It is not that difficult to do.

Well, at some point in time you'll be posting a question on how to rebuild your tractor's pto clutch...:rolleyes:
You guys havnt a clue.​
Try to figure out a good question to ask.

/ Slip Clutch Adjustment help! #20  
I never really thought about the annual service as adjustment, so much as knocking off high spots off, debris out, and polishing the friction plates for the season. Count the turns until you get the spring(s) out of tension, and return them back to where they were after you've polished. I back them off so soft ground/long grass--any mild to moderate resistance--will let the clutch slip and polish.
The first good slip there's usually a "puff" of plate material that stood proud and shears away... I will set the tines/blades up and down a few times and watch the gearbox to be sure I'm getting a few revolutions. Once I'm comfortable its smooth I return the springs to my "original setting".
Setting a slip clutch is dependent on the application--getting the work done without damage is all you want. Excess slippage will burn up the discs, but they are the soft/wear item in the mix.
You want them to slip below the rated torque of the tractor and gearbox, so that neither risk damage with impact. That means the setting for your 30hp tractor feeding a 120 hp gearbox can be different than the one a 70hp tractor slips without risk--not that it should be--the setting should be paired with the task and tractor. Getting it safe for your unit is more important than trying to get it close to maximum output for your unit.
If your taking the time, polish them right up--prolonged slippage and heat will wear them out, but dipping it in and out polishing won't.