Slip Clutch Adjustment help!

/ Slip Clutch Adjustment help!
Just curious what size tiller are you running ? I have a 40HP with a 72" and never had had it bog down or even lower the RPMs even when breaking new ground, I did have to dial the slip clutch in but it never bogged the tractor down, I would make shallow passes at first then worked each pass a little deeper. our clay is like concrete when it has no moisture so I try to till after a rain if possible

5 foot. I am tilling 4 inches or so deep. We have a good bit of clay. Also tractor is only 24 hp.

/ Slip Clutch Adjustment help! #32  
PTO hp is what you need to consider. The 24 hp shrinks to 16.6 pto hp. A 5' tiller is a pretty big load for it. You're doing good by precisely dialing in the clutch to save the drive train. TractorData.com New Holland Boomer 24 tractor information

Yep I realize I am pushing the limits. Once my project of converting the former corn field to pasture is over the tiller will get occasional use.

This forum is invaluable to me since I was not raised a country boy and have no experience about this kind of stuff. I am learning though.

/ Slip Clutch Adjustment help! #34  
That is a lot of tiller for that tractor, I just tilled one acre of sod to convert it into crops this evening and it was hard as concrete because we haven't had rain in so long, I always have one hand on the draft lever to raise immediately if I start hitting something hard or it starts bouncing like crazy. My tractor's RPM never drop when I till regardless of what I am tilling so I have to think you are asking it to do too much. I always try and strip off the top layer first one my first pass, probably 3 inches at the most then make multiple passes going deeper. I would assume the 4 inch pass is probably too much at one time, try going a little more shallow. I have my clutch set to slip when I hit rock hard dirt so if I slip I just raise up and gently lower to a shallow level. I would imagine I could tighten my clutch and go it pretty hard but the tractor and tiller would be bouncing me all over the place. If you have a disc it might help to make a first pass with it

/ Slip Clutch Adjustment help! #35  
Yep, dialing it in is a PITA. I just found out that the slip clutch on my stump grinder is set properly, when I ran into a rock that brought everything to a screeching (literally) halt. The engine was dragged down, but didn't stall, and the clutch noisily did its job. No harm to anything (other than some carbide cutting bits with somewhat shortened lives ...)

So I think all is finally well. Was able to till yesterday at a slow walking pace. But it was enough to let me get an acre an hour or so done.

Thanks all for the advice on the slip clutch.