Slow Leaks in 2 tires

/ Slow Leaks in 2 tires #1  

HawkinsHollow

Veteran Member
Tractor
Branson 3015R
Front right and rear left tires have a slow leak. front will leak down to essentially flat in a couple days, rear leaks down to 5 psi in a week or so. More of a hassle really. I have just been bringing my Rigid cordless tire inflator each time I need you use the tractor, but that is getting old it's time to fix them. The front seems easy enough, take it off and bring it to the tire shop. But how should I go about getting the rear fixed? That one is not going to be as easy to get to the shop. What would y'all do in this situation?

/ Slow Leaks in 2 tires #2  
Repair depends on the location of the leak. Have you been able find the source?

I have a slow leak in a front tire on my JD 2720. I added tire sealant because the leak is in the sidewall. A plug can be used if the leak is in the tread. In all cases, removing the weight of the tractor from the tire being repaired is important.

/ Slow Leaks in 2 tires #3  
Make a solution of soapy water, pour some on the
valve stem holding valve stem between fingers .
Quick way to find out if valve stems are tight. Not
sure exactly how to check the tires unless you have
a hole full of water to drive the tractor in to see if
you can find any bubbles

willy

/ Slow Leaks in 2 tires #4  
The soapy solution would work on the tires too.

My 15' flexwing would lose air (VERY annoying to have to drive it up to the house to top off) I ended up replacing several tires....others still leaking...

By the time it was over, I think I've replaced ALL tires and three or four of the rims (old beat up rims).

So now I have two new rims, new tires on them and I'm STILL slowly losing air.... so I added some slime into them (which I did NOT want to do initially) but today, about a month later, they're both doing fine!

/ Slow Leaks in 2 tires #5  
Surprising as it may sound, older rims often develop some rust where the tires seal.
That can result in slow leaks.
Wire brushing and tire sealant can be the cure.

/ Slow Leaks in 2 tires #6  
Surprising as it may sound, older rims often develop some rust where the tires seal.
That can result in slow leaks.
Wire brushing and tire sealant can be the cure.
Tubes fix all these problems and are more serviceable. I fix lots of flats. Log skidders on down. Much rather deal with tubes. After break it down, air tube up to find keep. If you marked valve stem you can look at tire in the same area and see if a thorn or something is there. My lawn mower is a good example. Flat city on a regular basis. Sometimes they'd hold air, most times not. Bought me four tubes, I sure did. Looked like tires had been taken off with screw drivers before. Beads were messed up. I ain't aired them up since the day I put them on, years ago. I have a 70 model Ford 3/4 4x4, been here over 25 years. Never aired the tires up. It has tubes too. Even has lock ring wheels. Same tires that was on it when I got it in 1992. When I drove it home, the last time it was on pavement too. But that baby has built some fences with me. Handy as a bag of chips.

/ Slow Leaks in 2 tires #7  
I have a 1974 ford f100 put new tires on it back in 1980
and now have 2 flat tires the side walls just cracked open.
Must be some cheap tires to only last 40 years! OH! I got
them at wally world must be why!

willy

/ Slow Leaks in 2 tires #8  
I’ve had pretty good luck plugging tractor tires and using sealant. Big holes have to take somewhere to patch inside.

Someone posted that JD makes a sealant for ballasted tires. Never seen or used it but I would try.

/ Slow Leaks in 2 tires #9  
I’ve gotten to where I love plugs.

My flats are almost 100% due to thorns. They are easy to find and plug.

Tubes are just fine - but take lots more effort to replace than plugs.

MoKelly

/ Slow Leaks in 2 tires #10