slow log splitter

/ slow log splitter #11  
Why not remove the input fitting and look at the hole size, it could be a restrictor nipple.

While the hose is off, place the end with out the nipple in a bucket and determine the GPM.

Check the output fitting as well.

If that fitting on the input is a water pipe fitting, you need to change it to a hydraulic fitting.

/ slow log splitter
Thanks for the reply JJ. I mentioned earlier about checking the GPM, that's probably what I'll try next plus check the inside diameters at the same time.

As for the fittings, they all came with the machine so it could be a water fitting. I'm not sure how to tell honestly. I assume a water fitting won't handle the needed PSI and could burst. That the reasoning to change it?

I was thinking about moving the T so the flow would be straight instead of 90 degrees.

Thanks again.

/ slow log splitter #13  
The 2 stage pump has a low pressure unloader on the high volum side of the pump, and a check valve between the hi and low pump. Sounds like your only using the low volume/ high pressure side of the pump. Check the low volume unloader for contamination or the check valve between the high pressure pump and the low pressure pump.
They should just unscrew from either side of the pump?? Just make sure to reassemble them the same sequence as they are taken apart.

/ slow log splitter
I figured I'd give an update to this since it been a little while. Got the log splitter to run at pretty quick pace today. My FIL bought a bigger pump off Ebay because he wanted a bit faster and more oomph. Between the pump and removing a barbed tube under the hydro tank it runs much faster. That barbed tube has about a 3/8" ID, way smaller than the hose. No idea what the previous guy was thinking using such a small fitting. It splits decent but the engine is too small for the pump. It will get by until spring, probably put an 8 or 10 HP motor on it at that point. Thanks for the posts!

/ slow log splitter #15  
I had a feeling it was a fitting. If you have time sometimes I would just try the old pump and see how it does.