slow stabilizer on bx25d backhoe

/ slow stabilizer on bx25d backhoe #1  

frogpond

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D
I have a 2014 Kubota bx25d with the standard Kubota backhoe. I have put about 150 hrs on the tractor, and the backhoe gets a lot of use. Since it was new, the right stabilizer has gone up and down much more slowly than the left one. Sometimes I can motivate it to move somewhat faster by joggling it briefly in the opposite direction, then returning it to its original direction.
I don't suppose this is normal. What can I do about it? I should add that I know almost nothing about hydraulic systems. I don't see any sign of leakage, and the hydraulic fluid dipstick always reads at the same level. There is no tendency for the stabilizer to leak down.
Thanks in advance for your advice.

/ slow stabilizer on bx25d backhoe #2  
How is the control valve lever connected to the actual valve.
If by a cable then I suggest the cable may need adjustment to move the actual valve the proper distance to get full flow to the cylinder and thus more rapid extension.
The valve may be only opening part way restricting the flow to the cylinder and making it slow to extend.
Sounds like a warranty matter being less than 2 years old with low hours.
Dave M7040

/ slow stabilizer on bx25d backhoe #3  
You may not be getting full stroke of the valve spool. Check the lever and linkage to the valve too see if something is loose or worn.

I do not know about the BX25D, but many hoes have pilot operated check valves on the stabilizers to reduce drift. You could have debris in the check causing it to stick or not fully open. When you jog the lever back and forth it may get the check to open allowing the cylinder to move. The checks are typically in the valve block between the main valve spool and where the hoses to the cylinder connect. You can typically unscrew them from the valve housing to inspect and clean.

/ slow stabilizer on bx25d backhoe
Thank you, Dave and Stonehaller. I'm afraid my comprehension level is already lower than necessary. Could you possibly tell me in more basic language what to look at, perhaps with photos? Or maybe one of you could suggest a source of basic information about hydraulics, so that I can educate myself a little. In the meantime, your suggestions at least give me something to bring up when I call the dealer for service under warranty. Today I will at least take a look at the linkage to the control lever, and compare the two sides.

/ slow stabilizer on bx25d backhoe #5  
If the two spools are moving equally, and one cyl is weaker, then you might have air in one of the cyl or a piston seal leak.

You might install a hyd gauge and take some readings.

See if the weak cyl can make relief pressure.

Last edited:
   / slow stabilizer on bx25d backhoe #6  
Based on the parts diagram on the Kubota website for the BT602 backhoe, it does not look like there any pilot operated checks in the backhoe control valve so that could not be your problem. If your tractor is still under warranty, I suggest you have the dealer look at it.

You could still take a look at the valve control linkage for any obvious problems. The picture below shows the linkage for the stabilizer valves. It is pretty simple. Keep in mind that the diagram does not show the control linkage for the other valves so if you take the cover off on your tractor it will look a lot more cluttered.

ValveLinkage.jpg

Thank you, JJ and Stonehaller. Today I did take the cover off the linkages. Everything looks identical on the two sides, and nothing seems to be missing or adjusted differently. It looks just like the diagram. I guess I'll call the dealer. It should still be under warranty. Tuesdays through Saturdays, I live and work an hour away from the tractor, so it may take a little while to arrange for the mechanic to visit. I appreciate your taking the time to help. I'll keep you posted.

I did call the service department at the dealer. The manager advised me to try removing the housing from the control levers again, and this time to operate the levers with the engine running. Surprise! Both stabilizers operated at the same speed. The problematic one needed to be pulled further aft, but with the cover on, it bumps against the back of the slot in the cover. I had to put it back together at that point, because my wife needed me to dig some holes to plant rhododendrons; but next weekend I plan to take the lever off, and bend it a little in a vise.

/ slow stabilizer on bx25d backhoe #9  
Why not grind away some of the cover.

Nope, can't do it. ..it would offend my sense of symmetry.