slow stabilizer

/ slow stabilizer #1  

Jim Nelson

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800&B7510
I have a BH75 backhoe on a B7800 Kubota and the left stabilizer all of a sudden is real slow going down but raises up fine.There is not full travel with the lever,it feels like there is something in the bottom of the valve.I've looked at the drawing in the parts list and don't see how any thing could possibly get under the spool assy.but it sure feels like something is there like a piece of O ring.With the linkage disconnected it is completely free.
Any ideas?If I take it apart,are the O rings common or should I have a new Spool Assy. on hand before tearing into it?
Thanks Jim

/ slow stabilizer #2  
Best thing would be to break it down and clean and inspect the spool and o-rings if any.

You said there is not full travel with the lever. Is the extend less than the retract, if it is, it does sound like there might be some crud jamming the spool from full operation.

/ slow stabilizer
There is less lever travel on the extend side and it feels like the spool is hitting something that has a little give to it, like hard rubber.I just can't think where it could have come from.

/ slow stabilizer #4  
There is less lever travel on the extend side and it feels like the spool is hitting something that has a little give to it, like hard rubber.I just can't think where it could have come from.

pls explain how the spool is moving in the housing when you have less travel.....spool away from the lever or towards the lever???

This pic is from another thread, but i might help as reference...
spoolvalvex.jpg

/ slow stabilizer
When you push the levers to lower the stabilizers the lever for the right one goes all the way to the housing,the lever for the left one stops about 1/4" short. You can force it to go a little farther which gives a little more power to the cylinder,but you can't get full stroke with it.

/ slow stabilizer #6  
Yup .. check and see if the spool is not going into the valve bank enough, if so then check the end cap and see if there is any hydraulic fluid in it, if the seal on the spool leaks into the cap this will limit the down stroke and there for slow the cylinder speed, simply remove the cap and check, there should be nothing but a little grease ,... Jim

/ slow stabilizer
I guess you can tell I'm a little dumber than necessary but this valve body sits vertically and If I understand you,the cap you say to remove is the one on the bottom,which means I'll need to take the valve body out to check it which involves removing 14 hyd lines.Are you thinking that an o ring is leaking and letting oil into the bottom cap thus limiting the stroke? This would make a lot more sense to me than debris somehow getting in there.
Thanks Jim

/ slow stabilizer #8  
Those caps on the end of the spool, are not sealed that well, and water and dirt can get in. There may be rust, loose parts, etc. So unscrew the cap if you can and inspect the spool as you operate the lever.

/ slow stabilizer #9  
Yah... life sucks eh ... in the picture Akkamaan posted, you see the parts circled, thats the cap your after.. if thats your problem, if the spool not going all the way in (the in stroke and out stroke should be the same).. some times you can get to them with a longggg allen wrench.. there is no seal on the cap/body to worry about... GOOD LUCK Jim
like JJ said , they could be rusted also, when we repair these we spray them with Fluid Film, this seals the caps and prevents rusting/sticking...

Last edited:
   / slow stabilizer
Well I went down to my shop to tear into this thing and tried it one more time and it works fine,cycled it several times and it's fine.It's been messed up for 2 days now and it healed up as suddenly as it went to heck.:)Maybe I imported some gremlins with the B7510 I just picked up.
Thanks for all your replies. Jim