Woods BH7500 Backhoe sticking boom lever

/ Woods BH7500 Backhoe sticking boom lever #1  

gckshea

Bronze Member
Tractor
2018 LS XR4140
Hi All!
I have a circa 1998 Woods BH7500 3-point mount backhoe. I just had all the seals, O-rings, and spools changed out in the valve control block due to leaking and erratic flow in various cylinder movements. Great! The thing doesn't leak any longer. BUT...

After reinstalling the block of valves, and reconnecting the linkages to the two tall control levers, the left hand lever seems to still stick in the forward and back direction, which controls the boom. Man, it's spooky to have an already jerky fast movement of the boom, then now lose fine control of feathering the lever to control movement, and then...have the boom keep moving after releasing the lever!

I looked at all the movements of the lever and the connections to the linkages, on both levers, in all directions, just to see what could be binding. You see, the boom spool moves just fine if I DO NOT tighten the bolts and nuts too tightly, as if to allow the linkage to rotate a little on the spool connection. Only on the left one. Something looks a little off on the geometry of the push-pull of the spool, even though it has a swivel ball connector to allow for non-linear movement of the lever...

It's almost as if the hole drilled in the control lever handle plate that attaches to the spool is not dead center, so an off center motion occurs when I move the lever. But, loosen the Nylok nut a little on the spool connection, and the bolt that attaches the lever, and it all moves fine - and I'd leave it like that except I'm concerned about vibration and use over time causing a bolt or nut to drop off somewhere and right at a bad time. I thought about counting on some Blue Medium Loctite to hold it on a non-snug position, but that doesn't give me the fizz.

Photo #3 shows the swivel connector lossened a little to allow free movement, but it is not vertical and lined up over the spool end, like the whole connection wants to be able to rotate. The geometry is wrong. But why?

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Backhoe Likage00001.jpg
    Backhoe Likage00001.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 45
  • Backhoe Likage00002.jpg
    Backhoe Likage00002.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
  • Backhoe Likage00003.jpg
    Backhoe Likage00003.jpg
    709.7 KB · Views: 42
   / Woods BH7500 Backhoe sticking boom lever #2  
Well I think you are right, the left linkage mount rod is bent, creating the bind.

I don't know which one that is, but according to the parts book it is a 5/16" x 1.5 or 2" countersunk screw. I would say the screw/bolt is bent.
The nut should be tight as you suspected.

Last edited:
   / Woods BH7500 Backhoe sticking boom lever
Well I think you are right, the left linkage mount rod is bent, creating the bind.

I don't know which one that is, but according to the parts book it is a 5/16" x 1.5 or 2" countersunk screw. I would say the screw/bolt is bent.
The nut should be tight as you suspected.

I did replace the linkage bolts...sure was bent, which is odd...why was it bent?
Anyway, I figured new bolts would cure it, but only slightly improved movement...it's still a geometry issue.

Aha!!! I decided to try and shim the lever AND spool linkage bolts with plain washers of varying thicknesses. It made the horizontal lever plate able to tilt slightly, lining things up. It worked!! No binding!! What a weird issue.

Thanks All

/ Woods BH7500 Backhoe sticking boom lever #4  
I did replace the linkage bolts...sure was bent, which is odd...why was it bent ?
Anyway, I figured new bolts would cure it, but only slightly improved movement...it's still a geometry issue.

Aha!!! I decided to try and shim the lever AND spool linkage bolts with plain washers of varying thicknesses. It made the horizontal lever plate able to tilt slightly, lining things up. It worked!! No binding!! What a weird issue.
Thanks All
I really can't think of this case, it's too strange