Small but annoying problem..

/ Small but annoying problem.. #1  

MiserableOldFart

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH Workmaster 40, Kubota GR2120
I can't believe I'm actually asking this, but all previous attempts have failed.
I like my NH Workmaster 40, but one thing that is driving me batty is the racket generated by the ROPS at the junction where they are hinged. I've tried various shims and things which work for awhile but vibrate free, disappear and don't last. Finally today, I cut strips of neoprene and put them in between, clamped it down and it worked beautifully for about 15 minutes at which time the ROPS cut the neoprene strips in pieces.
Anyone out there know a material that would work for this? When mowing, it's not a problem because I wear hearing protection for the noise, but I don't want to use them all the time when I shouldn't have to. I've tried wood and plastic shims, and the neoprene. I was thinking maybe peelable caulk because I don't often put the ROPS down, but that might cut just as easily.. Don't want to use anything that would fuse the ROPS up permanently. My TC26DA never made any noise from the ROPS.

/ Small but annoying problem.. #2  
Can you post a picture of the part that’s making the noise to see how the parts meet?

One general suggestion would be gorilla duct tape - wrap it around the joint so that nothing can move, or even over the area where you had the neoprene (the gorilla tape may be more resilient)

/ Small but annoying problem.. #3  
Perhaps a plastic part can be printed to the profile of the area needing shims? Can it slip into the Rops tube?

/ Small but annoying problem..
Thanks for the replies!
I could probably tape it and quiet it down, but then on the rare occasion when I want to lower the ROPS, it would be a problem. Latest attempt is a hybrid - 4 little cabinet bumper dots on each and a wooden shim for good measure. Used for about an hour today and so far, it has held together.
Perhaps Gorilla tape in between the parts, maybe with neoprene inside or maybe foam inside might last. Worth a shot if these wear out.
I'll add a picture, but it's just two pieces of ROPS, hollow metal that meet evenly with about an eighth inch space between when ROPS is up.
I had Gorilla tape in my hand, but didn't try it today, but it cut the neoprene so cleanly, I thought the tape would likely only last a few more minutes. If I find a better solution, I'll post it.
Maybe a piece of split tubing over the rims might do the trick, like a fuel line or such..

/ Small but annoying problem.. #6  
I was interested in seeing a picture to see how the hinges or folding mechanism looked.

On my MF1540, the ROPS is secured upright by tightening two bolts (makes it very snug).

In my Zero Turn mower, the hinged part is very stiff (have to put real effort into it to lower or raise it), so it doesn’t moveat all in the upright position.

If you just have a pin type system to lock them in the upright position, maybe try a long bolt and nut/washers to see if that tightens it up enough to stop any movement.

/ Small but annoying problem.. #10  
Like 5030 mentioned, a plastic washer at the hinge point and tighten it down well. I did that on my Kubota (2 on each tube) and it silenced the ROPS. Haven't had any noise all year. I usually leave it folded down, but it hasn't impeded folding back up when working on slopes.